It might be wise to try and determine why the leaking head gasket. If the head is truly flat and the top of the jug is truly flat and the gasket is properly torqued then there shouldn't be a leak.
I was working Bull, my 108/128 and noticed a new noise. I found the basket pulley wasn't happy where it was. Fortunately the keyway is fine on both. I think it just started so... While there I also noticed a leaking main seal so here we go again. This is a factory replacement engine (K301...black) complete with the Walbro carb and the flimsy linkage/dipstick.
You're almost correct on the head studs, but a 100 with the original engine tin work actually would have all bolts. Kohler did offer a kit to change the tin work over to the later style, allowing for more head clearance to prevent grass build up/overheating. That kit may have converted over to the stud configuration, I can't recall.
Kraig, Frank and Wayne thanks for your helpful comments. It is by opinion that studs and a nut are far superior than a head bolt. Using a stud eliminates the wear on the internal threads in the cast iron block. It's my belief there's more distortion with the top of the jug and the bore for that matter using a head bolt. In a performance application a block is decked, studded and then a torque plate is torqued in place. Boring and honing is the next process used to insure flatness of the deck and a concentric bore. Then the head is torqued to spec in place of the torque plate insuring everything is flat and the bore is perfectly round. Now, I'm sure they do this for the Garden tractor pullers but all this to prevent a blown gasket cutting the lawn or throwing snow not likely. I've been lucky I've had maybe 3 gaskets blown since what 1964 /65 when the narrow Frame 122 was built. Sorry if this was a ramble.
Charlie, I figured you already had winter come and stay. Roads were terrible this morning, rough and icy. My 33 mile commute took an extra 20 minutes.
A couple of times I kinda wished I would have had tire chains on like my Cub Cadet has.
Only saw one vehicle in the ditch, a smaller SUV went off of an exit ramp and one Chevy pickup backwards on an entry ramp. I didn't see either one happen they were just setting in place. My lowly Corolla made it alright.
Kraig, any idea who's presstine cub was pictured when you posted for my head stud concern? Very very nice. Where can I find more pics of this Fine Machine? On another note, here in Buffalo,N.Y. mother nature isn't expected to drop white slushy stuff until the AM. It's 51 degs here right now, December 5th, very strange indeed! Our Lake Erie is still very warm for this time of the year. With this frigid air coming down from the north this Lake Effect event is forecast to last more than a week! Yikes!
Well, got my care package yesterday from Charlie. Thanks.
I got my spindles fitted to the axle last night. I did some investigation on my steering arm and realized that the hole is tapered out to near 3/8" on both sides of the spindle. I aligned it in my mill and drilled it to 3/8". I aligned the arm and drilled it to 3/8". Now I just need to install a 3/8" rolled pin and I'm near ready to install the axle.
I put new ends on the steering arm and did a rough toe-in alignment. Just need to ream the new pivot bushing so the new pin will fit and I can put it all together!
I need to stop at local automotive paint store Saturday and have them mix up a couple spray cans of white so I can paint my rims and install the new valve stems. Once dry I have new front tires to mount and I can get this thing on the ground and put the engine back in it.
Just realized that the 127 is a narrow frame so I need to get a new mount for my blade since nothing from my 149 will work.
Michael, that is the K301 that David Kirk rebuilt for me. David did an amazing job on it. It's in my #2 125. It no longer looks as pristine, that photo was from November 2008 taken while I was getting it mounted into the 125 and adjusting the governor. It is my main tractor and is used for mowing and snowthrowing duties. In 2014 the breather froze up (my fault) and blew the dip stick out along with a bunch of oil. I noticed it almost immediately, thankfully before any damage was done. But it sure made a mess!
Isn't it strange that we're so good at saying "It was my fault". Gotta be a DNA thing.
Cub won't start (I haven't run it enough). Tires leak down (I should've put tubes in them). Connecting rod let go (I thought it was making a different noise). Dog barks too much (I should train him better). - - - - - - - - - - - - - -