• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 04, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaker

displayname
jeff l baker
Don, your loader won't charge niether? did both tractors quit charging at the same time and what did they do before they quit charging (work hard, sit for a period of time, get left outside)?

Also are you still using float chargers when not in use? I thought you had a battery charging system set up.

Jeff I Baker
the 129 loader sat since last fall and had a battery installed all winter. It sits in a heated shop most of the year. Dang I now have two cubs that I can`t make charge for some reason. not for no wanting or not willing them to lol. as I can do lees I think I should do more for my Cubs to see more people can see what they are missing by not giving them a chance. I think I could set up my confuser to give all the info needed to repair these tractors ; but I am to busy yet to consider be a devoted moderator. That will change as time passes . But I don#t think I need to be a moderator to give out good info ( do I):

Don I don't want to offend you with this question but are the batteries really taking a charge or could they be bad and all the charging in the world won't help, I guess I am wondering if you tested or had them tested.

well I added a gel sell 12 v battery to my loader a few years back because it did not charge . this worked for a few years . but this spring the loader 129 would not start. I have rebuilt engines and had no issues and hate what I can not see . the power electrify is an issue with me .

So is the answer NO you have not tested the batteries?

If you have not tested, then you should have them tested for cranking power.

What have you done so far about the starting/charging issue on the loader?

Don T: I think I see what Jeff is getting at. The battery itself is central to the whole charging thing. Before you tear into what you can't see (electricity), try hooking up a known-to-be-good 12V battery to the 129 and watch to see if the ammeter shows the system is charging.

The function of the battery is to store a charge. Each and every cell must be healthy. If one of the cells has a problem, it can act as a short or open in the circuit (because that is what it is). If the battery has "aged" then all the cells together don't have enough strength to get the job done. Nothing hurts a lead-acid battery more than to be left without a charge for any length of time. The battery goes "dead." In the United States, if you can get the battery to your local auto parts store they can test the liquid electrolyte and tell you if the solid lead in your battery is healthy enough to sustain charging and in fact allow the battery to do its job --namely, storing electricity.

Sorry to hear that your beloved loader is down. I know how much you enjoy using it. Also sorry to hear that you're dealing with health issues. I've dealt with a few, and I'm sure I'll deal with some more before I die, but right now I'm enjoying life with my Cub Cadets and I hope you can do so as well as soon as you are able. Good to know you're getting time to work on your own and others tractors. All the best to you and yours.

Johnathan I am confused are you saying that just because the battery has 12+ volts that his starting problem is not the battery?

I have had many battery that show good on the tractor but really are dead due to no or low cranking amps.

Maybe I am reading your post wrong or I am way off base (which would not be a first...lol)

Hi guys
can someone tell me how much a 108 cub cadet that is running go for?

Ed C.
It will go forever if ya keep gas in it!
thumbsup_old.gif

Thanks everyone i can pick it up for 200.00 it seems to be in good condition just not sure.

Just to add to Jeffs comment, I have had 2 or 3 batteries in my life that read a good voltage but just didn't build up the watthour rating(CCA)that is needed to use it.

Ed C.
Out in your neck of the woods and not seeing or hearing it run, That doesn't sound to bad of a price.

School me Battery Guru's. Just what does a battery hydrometer check? Acid to distilled water mix in there? Charge? Is it better to have a battery with removable caps so you can maintain the water level? Maintenance free, how, doesn't electrolyte bubble off when charging? Pardon me if my questions are elementary.

Michael, I believe it checks the specific gravity of the electrolyte to determine if it's any good or not. There should be graduations on the tube the liquid fills that floats a ball that indicates the charge

Johnathan, I see where it went south, Don has two cubs that won't start. You are correct about the first one a 149, but then Don mentioned how his loader 129 would not start, and I am wondering if that is a battery from sitting?

beerchug.gif

Ed,
Sounds like you did well on the 108. Cubgrats.

Don,
Any progress on those cubs up North? Sounds like we need some more info/progress on the charging issues to clear up some confusion.
proud.gif

Guys I still don`t see a charge testing across the battery ternimals when the engine in my 149 is running at a fast idle .at a fast idle if I turn on my head lights I see my amp meter show a discharge and not move up when the engine is reved higher. I say the grounds are good . I think I need to test every wire and their connections . I`am realy at a loss as to what to try next. I use a Honda battery charger that will desulfate and test my batteries . this batery test good and I don`t think this is a battery issue .

My 129 has a no charge issue as well . It has a truck gellcell wired to the small tractor battery. It will run and will not charge as well. I have done 4 engine rebuilds with great results ; But it seems keeping my cub charging is were I fail miserable .

Back