• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 30, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfrisk

displayname
Dennis Frisk
TOM H. - Thanks for the HCOP pic's. Six yrs ago they had that steam engine and two others pull something like a 60 bottom plow. It took a lot of time to get set-up, and the plows were the old style with levers on every bottom to raise/lower them in the ground. And the headlands were HUGE since they had three steam engines and a sqadron hitch to all the plows to get turned around. It took them about ten minutes to go across the field and half a day to turn the thing round. Big Bud or one of Kinze's creations was way faster covering the ground. Even a herd of CC's would be faster!

100 '61/'63 CC's would have been a lot. From the pic's I've seen Sherry had a nice display at her Heritage Iron tent. I'm always amazed at how many off-brand corn pickers come out to play @ HCOP. Around home in the '60's over half the pickers were IH, and about 45% were New Idea, and then there were those few mis-guided souls who used something/anything else. In the 50's the percentage of IH was even higher. The local seed corn co. used ALL IH pickers until they went to NI Uni-Harvesters which could take 4 rows. Their only downfall was they liked to catch on fire. One burned out hulk of one spent the winter of about '74 or '75 in Dad'a big grass waterway about a half mile from his house. Seems like it had a 305 CID GMC V6 engine and trash would settle into the engine compartment under the cab. By the time the operator noticed the smoke he had just enough time to get out of the cab.

I really don't have a problem with MTD having their 50th Anniversary CC there. Like I've said before, I'm really not in the market for a new garden tractor. I'm still trying to wear out my 30 to 45+ yr old CC's I have now. I just hope MTD keeps selling service parts for them. I'm scsred there will come a time the Gov't will put a stop to making/selling service parts for these old Kohler & Onan engines since they supposedly pollute so bad.

If anyone's headed to the Rock River Thresheree this weekend, I'll be in the train station from 8:00-17:00 or so on Saturday...

lurking.gif

Tom, I LOVE that picture, Ive decided when I get another cub I'm going to make it a 21206. I've got a softspot for industrials haha.

Just a quick question:
I park my 782 with the deck raised, then a couple of days later I noticed it's down. Is that normal? I don't see any leaks anywhere.

Norm-

Internal leakage in the cylinder and/or valve, and that's normal for a used machine. It's something you just have to live with.

I have a 1977 1250 all original as much as i can tell. My question is what would cause the spark plug to blow out of the head ripping threads and a chunk off the head?

Wayne S,

Check the lower syphon tube to make sure its not plugged with something or moisture globules from the Hytran. I had a similar problem with my #2 782 in that I couldn't get the hydro pump to prime after replacing the filter and new Hytran. I put a different pump on and cleaned the tube by running a cloth rag attached to a wire through it and found a bunch of jello globs on the rag when I got it through.

Edward, used heads are cheap. Check with a sponsor above to have one on your doorstep in a day or two.

Alternately, if you still have a spark plug hole that is stripped and a chunk of the head was just cooling fins you could do a heli coil or some variant of that type of thread repair.

Got a picture of the head?? We love pictures.

Don't feel alone on blowing a spark plug out of the head. I had just finished refurbishing my 129 (got a new seat from Charlie a few days after the photo)

229721.jpg

including a rebuild of the engine and the 44-A deck...... installed the deck and commenced to mow the yard. About 15min. later I lost power. No, the plug had not blown out but rather "eased" it's way out taking the head threads on it's way.

229722.jpg

Anyhow, with a used head or repair you are good to go.

Thanks Ron-

I actually had the return tube in my hand and cleaned it well. I'm just baffled as to the problem. I've temporarily moved on to another tractor just to feel like I'm getting something done.

Well, since I've brought up the 129 refurbish AND I've had a beverage or two I thought I'd put up a never before published photo of me on the tractor just minutes after starting it. I haven't even engaged the deck yet. I was smiling because I had replaced every wear part from the hydro pump forward, adjusted the hydro,(no trunion repair needed on this low hour tractor although I did replace the trunion springs). So, just a happy face from a guy that loves old iron and I.H.

229725.jpg

Richard, you one pair of plaid pants away from an advertisment. Nice job. Now go throw it in gear and use it. that way the mower gets as happy as you.
happy.gif

thanks for all the replies on the 1250 the heat shield for the fuel tank had a missing bolt that helped alot still got a ways to go this thing is noisy havent had time to work on it will let you know what it was

Richard--Excellent job on the 129! It really turned out sharp!
fence.gif

Not that kinda sharp!
ihrotate.gif

Richard.....beautiful job as always....when did you say to bring my 149 up to you ?
whistling.gif

Dave R., how true!
lol.gif

229761.jpg

Richard, the tractor looks great! And the photo does look like a brochure photo. The smile says it all!
greenthumb.gif

Back