• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 30, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well guess I must be one of the luckiest guys around. Always been active and in good health, ride my bike about 5 to 6 miles several times a week. About 3 weeks ago I went for a ride and had to come home due to loss of breath and chest pains. Everything felt good when I wasn't riding my bike. Then my next door neighbor (46 years old) had a massive heart attack, that kind of scared me. The next day I was irrigating and had to ride my bike down to check on the water flow and got the pains again so I called my doctor, they had me come in immediately and gave me a EKG, everything looked good but they sent me to a Cardiologist. Every test came out good there but he didn't like the symptoms so scheduled me for a Coronary Angioplasty. Turns out I had one of the main arteries on the left side of my heart was 95 to 99 percent blocked in two places. Two stents later they had the blood flow back. Doctor says I must have had a Guardian Angel on my shoulder.

I just wanted to pass this on and say if something just doesn't feel right don't ignore it, the end result could be bad news.

OK, I'm blind. What were the outings this weekend?

Someone mentioned a couple Labor day weekend but I can't find the reply (Duh!). I see Bryan's rain joke but not the others...

Richard C-
Betcha got a nice bruise by your hip where they put your tube in. I've fought a heart problem since '99 (when I was 22), have what they call a idiopathic cardiomyopathy (i.e. there's something that has happened but we don't know why). Went round & round and ended up a heart cath a couple years ago and it wasn't too much fun, BUT turns out no blockages at all, my body mass showed a possible blockage during a stress test. Ended up I had an ejection fraction that was pretty low, a couple weeks ago I went back for what is about a 2 yr checkup and I'm back above normal. Won't ever be 100% but I'm working towards 99%. I don't have to tell anyone to listen to their cardiologist, but don't get caught up in reading up on heart problems on the internet from bulletin boards, too many horror stories and too many patients giving diagnoses.

Art-
I've had that tractor pop out of gear on me when pulling a sled, makes it work like less of a pulling tractor and more like an ejector seat!

Governor question-
A while ago there was a discussion on governor gears, something about ones that are riveted and ones that have pressed-in pins? What was that?

I'm going to hopefully start assembling my "warmed up" K321 this weekend and the governor's one of the first things to go in.

Rick
For one there's the Argyle Antique Gas Engine Show and Flea Market at Argyle Lake State Park two miles north of Colchester, IL. FREE
Was probably in excess of a dozen Cub Cadets there last year and many parts. Sat. Sun. Mon.
JH

RICK - The BIG show in Mt. Pleasant, IA is this weekend, and the show in Edgerton, WI. Several from this forum will be there. WYATT - I think the governor IS the first thing installed. That's why they were such an expensive repair at the dealerships. $$$$ Hours of labor to install a $5 part. I think the lever that goes on the cross shaft was the problem. Some just spotwelded and some staked or pinned onto the shaft. Can't remember what was decided as to what the best one was. The shop that did the machine work broke the lever on My K-301 when I freshened it up 10 yrs ago. Wouldn't even give Me a new shaft/lever. The same shop that has the $100 K-361 rod & cam now. Needless to say I haven't spent much $ there in the last 10 yrs.

Hey Art, You know if you wanted to see if the Original is shorter than a narrow frame you have several.
biggrin.gif
FWIW, it seems to me that the Original is a wee bit shorter. When I pull my Originals into the garage, it seems that the 122/123 is just a little longer. But then again, I have a case of CRS. That is why I joined the Navy cause my name is on my uniform.
lol.gif

WYATT, I took this photo for you today.
21256.jpg
happy.gif

Took lot's more but time to go home now.

Just wondering... I don't know much about these tractors. Is there a valve on the hydro that you can push so that I can tow my 782?

If not is there a kit or something you can get?

Also did IH make these hydrostatic transmission and final drives or did some other company?

One more final question... How much can these transmissions take? HP/loading. I have some ideas that I would like to try but don't want to overload my cub!

Thanks!

Jim

Rick "M",
Another one cloe to home is the show in Pontaic, Illinois. Just north os 55 on 47.

Looks like the Pre-Plow Day Plow Tuneup Day is out. Well I tried. 8-(

Chris-Glad to hear you're doing better,you're right about going to the Doc,it could be far worse if you don't! Stay well.
thumbsup.gif

I'll plan on being at Edgerton this Saturday to do some snooping,y'all better have those Cubs polished to a sheen!

Wyatt,

Early model governor gear/weight assemblies used roll pins to act as pivot shafts for the flyweights. These roll pins, pressed into plastic, exerted high radial forces thus failing the plastic boss. This allowed the weight to eventually fly off, making for a trashed governor and a lot of work to repair. Newer assemblies use pins with flaired ends for retention. These don't stress the plastic and are relatively bullet-proof. Check out the picture below; old style on left, new on right. Note the material change too.
21261.jpg

Jeff-
Yea, I could compare my own tractos side-by-side some day, but I figured you'd know since you park your cubs in your living room anyway.

Richard-
Glad to hear you got the 'ol Hytran dingle-berries out of the tranny case. That'll really mess up a hydro pump!
;-]

Hi all, I filled up my 1200 for the first time yesterday and noticed gas dripping. I thought the carb was leaking again but turns out I have a pinhole in the plastic gas tank.
poof.gif
Is there any way to repair the plastic? I did mow with it for the first time and didn't catch fire. It did mow well so I was pretty pleased with the maiden mowing. Thanks y'all, Paul

Paul - Try one of the sponsors above...but don't be surprised if your post disappears, no want ads allowed over on this form...head to the classifieds section.

Ryan -

Well, not the WHOLE post...
lol.gif

Latest posts

Back