• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 29, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheinsohn

displayname
Wes Heinsohn
Wayne,
I move most of my snow with a 106 with a homemade 48" blade. I used to just put about 150# on the back and chains on the tires. I used to run 8.5's like your 108 should have. Last year I ran some 10.5's on it but had to put more weight on it to get the same traction. I can move a lot of snow in southern Wisconsin with it. I have some pictures of it sitting in front of a pile of snow almost 5' tall. I also have some pictures of it pushing snow up 40* hills without too much trouble. As has been said, do not underestimate what these units can do.

Since the subject has gotten to tires and snow I've got a question for you well seasoned cub owners. I have a 122 that is use for mowing and snow removal. The other day one of my original tires gave out and I thinking about going to a loaded ag tire, to help with the hilly terrain, snow removal and possibly future plow and tiller service. Does anyone have advice on tire brand, loading etc. It currently has 23/8.50x12

Thanks for any help.

Wayne - Steve B's last post is right on. A ton of fun alright. I'm not sure who told you that Cub Cadets weren't really cut out to move snow. In my opinion, there's nothing better. And you'll see that as the weather changes this fall, we forum members will be licking our chops for the next snowfall. Heck, I think you can get a better weather picture here on the forum than on the weather channel.
buttrock.gif

Brian,
The topic comes up every so often. I think the sentiment through the years would be to stick with an 8.5 turff tire with chains for snow removal. Those who use ag tires for snow removal sometimes still put chains on them for additional traction on ice.

The ag tires seem best suited for use when plowing in the fields with a single bottom. The turff w/ chains tire can clog with mud real quick and become a slick if the soil is wet. I've always used turff w/ chains for both applications and don't have problems with either unless I go into the garden to plow shortly after a rain.

Does anyone have the cross ref. to a Nappa berring for the mower spindle on my CC 100? The #number on my berring is KKO 7448 TH. Cant seem to find one. TIA

Brian,
One more foot note on the tires. To answer your question more directly, two Ag tires were once recommeded to me by Steve Blunier: In 10.50/Titan Tru-Power(not the AT version), and in 8.50/Firestone 23 deg. F&R.

Ray

Thanks for the advice. The only reason I'm considering ag tires is so I can expand my cubs versitility it the area of gardening and possibly make it out to a plow day in the future. I shouldn't have even mentioned the snow because, as you said, really doesn't make a differance for that. Oh well, she still has a long way to go
construction.gif

I run a 42" CC snowthrower on my 782 and have yet to see a snow in the Michigan thumb that I could not handle. If it is truly deep - say 12" or so - I slow down accordingly. The only trouble I've ever had was getting too aggressive and clogging the chute with wet snow and slush but my 782 takes care of business, IMO. BTW, I have a hydro, chains and no weights. I'd buy weights if I found a set for a decent price, though. I'm also embarassed to admit that I show off to my neighbors. Sometimes I drive down the edge of the road to clear a path for the mail truck. I really oughta grow up.

Heck I use to show off; the nieghbor had a JD. Take that you green son of gun!! The reason I put my Ag tires on in the fall was I would be ready for spring work. Didn't make much difference if I ran them front or backwards. I do think AG tire work better moving snow off of gravel drives then lawn tires tho.

Here at the hospital we have a "newer" cub and most of the time we use the blower!

Pops

Brian, A creeper isn't necessary for pulling a rear plow. On my gear drives, I usually run 2nd Gear WOT, unless there is some nice thick dirt and then on my Original I have to drop down to first, but on my 73 with a 12 Horse I run 2nd. A creeper comes in real handy when you are tilling, cause you don't want to go real fast while tilling otherwise you will bounce all over the place. I use a hydro for tilling for just that reason. I am sure that others will give some more information on this as well. I am searching for some new ag tires as well and I think that I am going to be going with the 23/10.50x12 Titan Tru Power Tire, I have heard pretty good things on this tire and for the price it isn't too bad. One thing I would ask is, where does everyone get their tires for the best price from? I have bought in the past from Tucker Tire and Cedar Rapids Tire but is there any where else out there that has good prices?

Brian,
Here's a pic of my 124 when I owned it. Sans creeper and weights. <font size="-2">I miss it, sniff
39467.jpg
</font>
sad.gif

Can I just put the rear end weight on the trailer hitch? I'm not going to make any wheel weights but I can easily make a little platform and throw some RR tie fasteners on it-those little suckers must be 10 lbs apiece and I have a supply of them. I mentioned doing this to my neighbor with the 70 and he didnt think it was a good idea because the weight would be on the axle. He is a lot more mechanical than I am but he isnt the brightest bulb either, so I dont know if I should heed his advice or not.

Wayne

Wayne S.
It's always better to have wheel weights, BUT you can add weight to the rear. IH made a weight box just for Cubs too.
This one has 300+ pounds in it and has for 30+ years according to the guy I bought it from.
39469.jpg

39470.jpg

Wayne,

I regularly carry 100# pounds on the rear frame of the tractor in the winter, no worries, just make sure you support it well.

Your neighbor runs as much a risk of twisting off a rear axle with wheel weights as you will damaging a wheel bearing (never heard of that happening) or breaking a carrier with 200# or less of rear frame weight.

Cubs are tough and you'll likely spin out in the snow way before you hurt it. Big killers of rear end components are related to very heaving loading AND shock....like the operator jumping on the seat trying to get more traction when moldboard plowing, etc.

I wonder if we'll ever see THIS again...
39477.jpg

lol.gif
<font size="-2">sorry Dan...</font>

I know with 90 lb. starter weights and 54 pounders hangin on the outside, it sure makes for some good traction in the dirt with Titans.
39479.jpg

39480.jpg

Ray,

Nice 124!! Mine is in far less condition but there is always hope. My tire blow out is really the only reason I'm looking at tires. My biggest worry is the drive line, it rattles and shakes like a blender but keeps on going. It really needs new a clutch, springs, lever, pivot, pins ..... that sort of thing. But at least it got a replacement gas tank last week, no more stinky garage thats on the verge of blowing up
poof.gif

That little tractor is tougher than a box 16 penny framen nails!

Weights on the back of a cub you say?
39485.jpg

39486.jpg

Lets see now, thats #100 on each rear wheel and #160 in suite case weights and another #100 worth of wheel weights. Add my #180 and that a total of #640 pounds weight and it still gets light in the rearend with the bucket full.

Befor someone says something about the tires, they work better for backing out of the sand pit with a bucket full being mounted backwards.

Latest posts

Back