• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 27, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just missed a nice cub 70 on cl for 125.00 oh well. Is it 100 day?
Napa carb cleaner in the 3qt can,I don't see acetone listed unless there are two types,this is the low voc...

Lucas and Paul,
A big THANKS for the info!!!
ihrotate.gif

The 124s finally got a chance to meet. I can't believe how tight the engine is on the newly aquired 124 with the 59M. I have seen no signs of smoke and the timing seems perfect. I went through the carb but that's all (except the standard oil change). I took the plug out of the rearend and clean, red hytran just flowed. I really got a good deal on this one. The po was happy just to see it going down the drive.

196021.jpg

Are we on strike here on the forum? Is there a reason for the lapse in postings?

WAYNE - Nice looking pair of 124's, as you know several of us here really like the zig-zag grill NF gear drives.

Only one comment..... Hy-Tran is actually brown. ;-)

JAMES K. - re: K241 (10hp) into a 72. I did that swap in 1985, as long as the K241 is a CC-spec engine everything should bolt up fine. The only difference between a K161/181 starter-generator bracket and a K241 bracket is they are mounted upside-down, and the holes are just slightly different spacing. Seems like I had to drill a new hole in my 72's S/G bracket and elongate the other one.

Ohhh and the gas tank bracket is different and the gas tank itself on the K161/181 is only five quarts while the K241 is eight.

But the PTO clutch, engine clutch, choke & throttle cable, fuel line, wiring, mounting bolts thru the frame all hook right up.

TODD M. - Years ago I used to buy ACETONE by the gallon. Be very careful with acetone, it can be kinda hard on stuff! It works great at dissolving CA, (crazy-glue) which is what we used to attach the tires to the wheels on our R/C cars. New wheels with every set of new tires cost a L-O-T of money when your racing 2-3 cars so we'd soak the old tires off with acetone. I have some "UNIQUE" screwdriver handles because of Acetone.

Saga of the 149 refurb. Initially I thought this machine was unmolested save for P.O. shade tree repairs but I've found that the rear end serial tag has a # 42---- designation meaning a swap had been made as the 149's are much higher serial numbers. I can also see traces of a CAT like yellow sprayed here and there even on the back fins of the hydro pump where a little over spray got to them. Anyhow, with the tap-tap advice the PTO did come off as well as everything else (with a puller) so I could get to the leaky crank seal which has since been removed with the two metal screw trick.
I am puzzled with the concentric locking collar as it does not "bite" to the shaft in any position. I was able to remove it easily after the locking nut and allen screw were loosened without using a drift to unlock it. It will spin around the shaft without locking. Hummmm. Any ideas on that? It does not appear that it has "spun" in any fashion to wear itself out and the crankshaft/front shaft shows no wear whatsoever.

Things are getting cleaned and I have a list of parts to order. I previously noted that the engine started without smoke and ran strong, sounding good as well,so I imagine some engine work has been done. Now that it's degreased I'll pull the head and see what's up.

On a side note, I met up recently with Rick Albert from the forum's and from around my parts and we did a little "trading". He's a great guy and it's always nice to meet other Cubbers in Fl.

I did want to say that I put down a tarp to capture all of the gunk and it's aftermath to be disposed of properly as will the rest of the residue from the tractor.

196034.jpg

196035.jpg

Man, I feel like a Neanderthal.
animatedihbear.gif

I see everyone uses a cherry picker to remove the engines out of the cubs.

I just unbolted mine in the 125, lifted it out and carried it over to the bench.
dunno.gif

Jeff

Dennis-

Now that you mention it....I think you're right. Maybe I should look into a rearend oil change as well. For all I know it could be atf. Anyway, it almost gushed out when I pulled the plug to check. I feel confident it is well lubed for the time being. This engine doesn't even vibrate that much and has the dipstick up top so I don't think I even have to think about grenade gears.

Thanks for the observation.

Allen,
If you call me sir, I'll be looking behind me to see who you're talking too.
clappy.gif

Don't worry, I've mellowed some as I've grown older. Although now that I'm 50, I can see myself doing some of the same things my Dad did
whistling.gif

Jeff-

Your time will come. I remember when I could have jerked one of these engines out and had it on the bench. Now, after two back surgeries I am grateful for my "big" tractor with the lift pole.

I would like to add for you to be careful with your back. Engines aren't getting any lighter but our backs are getting older by the day. It don't take but one screw up and pain pills can become a good friend. Long story short....Get a lift system and be proud to have it.

Wayne,
I am careful with my back. My job as a machinist keeps me in pretty good shape.

As long as I can get a good lift using my legs, I "should" be fine. ( famous last words ---- right next to "Hold my beer, watch THIS " )

I recently purchased two tiller angle drives complete with mounts.

One has a 3/8" cast pulley and the other has a 1/2" stamped steel pulley.

Which one is correct?
1a_scratchhead.gif

196039.jpg

196040.jpg

Jeff-

Exactly! Keep those legs in top shape; they're the secret to proper lifting.

What ticks me off is I believe anyone at any age can lift that engine to the bench......once.

LOL on the conversation. I'm in the old fart stage and I use ANYTHING to help me not to hurt my back after 35 yrs. of setting tile.

Now back to my parts list..........

Jeff D.
Do we win a prize if we answer on this forum before they answer on the other forum?

Tiller pulleys are/were cast iron from the dealer.

The one on the right is for 2B tiller using 5/8 belt. PN/IH-135554-C1
196042.jpg

Thanks Charlie. Would the deeper pulley be an advantage on my 125?

The "other forum" isn't exactly jumping in the Cub section
biggrin.gif

Lucas,
Yes,no,maybe,so, everything else but the block that mounts to the lift arm,also the lift arm also has a bend in it,the lift lever is different,so it will not work unless you have one from a narrow frame,or get the correct measurement from one of our kindly members,or just get one for a narrow frame,or....yada yada yada

Jeff D.
Tiller belts for NF's are 13/32", so the answer to your question would be no.
Cast pulleys are far superior to stamped steel anyway.

ATF is better than hytran in its ability to with stand heat ! and won`t hurt the pump,the down side is it does not encapsulate water like hytran.

Charlie
(Do we win a prize if we answer on this forum before they answer on the other forum? )

lol What forum?

thumbsup_old.gif
old.gif

Back