• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 23, 2019

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Kraig, that is a neat little tractor.

Not a big fan of seeing cubs butchered but I just gotta remember it's not mine and to each there own.
happy.gif

I had done a little research on the fab decks and fitment prior to asking my question. But just did a little more research and got the mule drive figured out after remembering there is a serial number break down for the series of tractors on www.ihcubcadet.com, which the IH Louisville works pages does not break down.

326522.png

By looking at the page on www.ihcubcadet.com I can see that serial number 218010-400000 hitch quick attachment is designed for a narrow frame. So that won't work on a wide frame tractor. I would need the one for 400001-529999 tractor for my 169 and 128 model.

There appears to be three different deck models thru the years. I"m assuming for my 169 and 128 models any 38, 42, and 48" fabricated deck will work whether it is for a wide frame or narrow frame based on the years? I'm not sure if the hanger support brackets are in a different location between the three different listed years? That would be the only thing that probably won't match.

The page on www.ihcubcadet.com shows the serial numbers for the quite line tractors, but yet on the cub cadet look up they show the same mule drives and deck listings. According to the chart on the www.ihcubcadet.com and the serial number break down it shows these should not be listed in the look up and yet they are, but the two different lines of tractors are similar... so why would they not work on the quite lines?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Scott Nicklas,

I have personal experience driving a gas 656 hydro on a farm I worked on in high school. That model did wine. worse than our cub cadets. The tractor I believe was a utility model as it sat lower to the ground, had a metal cab and a quick attach hitch. It was mainly used for square baling and was sometimes used to haul gravity boxes in the fall to the farm or to the mill. When it goes under load it whines even more. In the late fall I would put my feet up on the center of the transmission to keep my feet warm. Bailing hay was hot because of the heat. Not sure if it was the governor going bad on the engine, but quick movement of the hydro lever would cause a big rpm swing and it would level out after a few seconds. I don't think there was much of a cushion in the drive either. If you had to stop quick you better hang on otherwise you would find yourself hunched over the steering wheel.
err.gif
It was not a gas guzzler, but did like it's gas. Not sure about the later models but hope there was improvement.

Charlie, I'm not a Quiet Line expert, but shouldn't there be a box around that muffler that helps support it?
1a_scratchhead.gif
Looks like he cobbled up a support of some kind there.
a_blink2.gif

I'm surprised the muffler cracked before the "bracket"
feint.gif

To me, the muffler appears to not be squared up with the motor.
It could be the pic, but the gap between the muffler and the motor seems to be less on the bracket end compared to the "clamped on" end.

Also, the muffler appears to be aluminum. Not the best choice for a muffler IMHO. (If it is actually aluminum.)

Charlie,

Looks to me the way it is cracked there is too much pressure and stress from the mounting bolt and home made bracket. I'm sure vibration and heat helped it fail in that 20 min. I'd loosen the mounting bolt and see what is needed for a spacer and add that in re-tighten and weld the crack so exhaust does not leak from it.

Dad's new muffler on his 1450 is still fine, I'll have to pic it tomorrow. Dad loves how quiet it is. still has some of the box around it.

Back