• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 19, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgonitzke

displayname
Matt Gonitzke
David S.-

That can't be his problem, as there's no way that exhaust elbow unscrewed while it was still attached to the muffler...
wink.gif

Chuck F.
If you'll look close you will see that the elbow threads are pretty much gone.
243362.jpg

Time for a new elbow and re-tap the block while your at it.

Yeah, the threads are gone.

243367.jpg

The port looks a little on the rusty side.
Can I just weld the elbo into the block? Like a couple tack welds?

243368.jpg

and I need to get this welded back together.

243369.jpg

Matt: But that's what more than likely started the problem in the 1st place, the jam nut not being tight alowing the elbow to vibrate/wobble enough to the point of wrecking the treads.
On second look atb the pic's it does look like the nut is there, just backed way off.

I don't know, can you do a helicoil that big for pipe thread and then use a new/different elbow?
That would probably require removing the block to fix it stable for a drill press to acurrately
clean up the hole and retap it.

Or maybe, like Chuck said, tack weld it (if possible)and seal the circumferance w/high temp blue/black silicone and add the muffler crutch.

Shame it's progressed to this point for sure.

Oh, BTW, CarQuest has the correct size muffler clamps, 1-3/8" that fit these mufflers like a glove and they are cheap too!!

Dave S.

Dave, Chuck: If it were mine, I would try to flange it. Another motor manufacturer (starts with B and ends with S) sells adapters to use the threaded holes and not the pipe thread connection. The Kohler Engines site has an accessories catalog that features several items that might be useful in the hands of a skilled fabricator.

Site Link: Accessories

Images and Text:

243373.jpg

EXHAUST FLANGE (CH/CV11-15)
For adapting manifold length to customer-supplied exhaust.
Part No. Description Models
12 295 01-S Steel, 0.188" thick CH/CV11-15

243374.jpg

Edit: Part numbering didn't come through, they are numbered 1 through 5, left-to-right, top-to-bottom.

MANIFOLDS Outlet For
Part No. O.D. Models Muffler Item
12 164 03-S 1.312" CH11-15 Various 1
12 164 04-S* — CH11-15 Pepperpot 2
12 164 05-S** — CH11-15 Pepperpot 3
12 382 01-S 1.125" CH11-15 Ham Can, Top 3
12 382 02-S 1.125" CH11-15 Ham Can, Start. 4
12 382 03-S 1.125" CH11-15 Ham Can, PTO 5

* 1.0" N.P.T. external thread.
** Same as 12 382 01-S, except 1.0" N.P.T. external thread.

The other manufacturer's parts I know were hardened, and these might be as well.

P.S.: I'm still wanting to know about the Flange Assembly I posted about on the last page, if anyone has an insight to offer.
smile.gif

Since were going the "Good ol' Dayz" on previous page, here is me and my trusty 100 on Easter morning circa 1965-66. Looking at the old garages make me think of the movie Christman Story and Ralphie's house.
243376.jpg

JEREMIAH - Lots of places sell exh flanges for Kohlers. I made one from a scrap of 1/4" steel plate for the straight pipe on my K321. I didn't want the restriction of the threaded fitting in the exhaust.

But the 5/16th's inch machine screw threads in Chuck's block don't look much better than the pipe threads, but at least the Helicoil inserts are availble and cheaper.

Chuck, before anything, try running a 1" pipe tap into the exhaust to clean the threads up,cast iron is pretty tough so there may be enough of the threads still usable- the elbow looks like it's threads may have taken the worst of it so it is possible just cleaning up the female threads and a new exhaust ell will work. Since pipe thread is tapered, perhaps a 1" pipe nipple or street 45 will thread in a little farther to take advantage of the taper if the new ell doesn't work... you will have to do some fabricating to get the muffler to fit in that case. Good luck

Kraig - That's a fine looking 125 or 5's you got there.

Tom H. - Nice looking 100 there too. I guess back in the day, casual Friday's hadn't taken hold, but then you were in the presence of a CC ...
cubwinker.gif

Just curious - how did your families (Kraig & Tom) come to buy an IH vs another color tractor?

Chuck - I mentioned a few weeks back that I had another color tractor with a B&S engine on it and the PO had screwed a heavy pipe into the exhaust - in an aluminum block. I was mowing one day and the exhaust fell off - in front of the deck. I almost ran over it! The block's threads were stripped, but like your Kohler, it had a provision for a flange mount muffler - which I went with.

One of my lessons learned with that tractor was - it's OK to have thick walled pipe thread at the engine, but if you see the same pipe routing away from the muffler and it ain't supported (muffler crutch), trouble is coming. If you can get a new elbow and tap out the threads on the engine, that would be great, but it's good you have the potential for a flange mount if necessary.

Another question - anyone re-upholstered their CC tractor seat? Reason I'm asking is...

243380.jpg

I love those old time photos of Cubs!!!

Kraig-- you went from looking like someone from Saturday Nite Fever to Jeremiah Johnson of the north from the 70's to the 80's.
err.gif
The years sure do change us don't they, yet the Cubs "live on" if we keep them going. Sure sounds like you got a heck of a deal on that second 125. Do you use it exclusively for moving snow or does it get used for other purposes too?

Tom--that is vintage mid 60's stuff right there. Do you or someone in your family still own that 100?

Bill--you beat me to the punch a that upholstry question!

I was wondering the same for my 125 seat cover. It is cracked real bad in the center and I was wondering what you guys have done with those. This tractor will be a well cared worker for the next 5 years or so but I don't want chunks of the vinyl to keep coming off until the seat foam is completely gone and it starts to damage the fiberglass.

Luther--thanks for the heads up on the PTO repair/rebuild. I'll get it underway soon. I want to be able to try out that tiller and Caleb will want to be cutting lawn with it again!

Bill,
The one and only tractor dealer near the farm was a IH dealership. My Grandpa was a customer there for years and mt Dad followed suit for "RED", as did I until it closing in the 80's. The dealership was A.J. Firnbach and sons. I found this N.O.S. thermometer at a local antique dealer. It hangs proudly as a reminder of the Farm Days in my study.

243390.jpg

Joshua,
The 100 is long gone, as is the 127 we wore out, but Dad's 1650, now 1600, is still in my shed.

OK...here goes. I am new here. I had this old Cub Cadet 71 in my garage for the last 15+. It was given to me by my Aunt. I use to mow her lawn with it when I was a teen. It has the original 7hp Kohler in it that was rebuilt back in the late 70's and has maybe 10 hours on it. I just rebuilt the carb and cleaned out the tank. I also put in a new battery, plug, points & condenser in. It runs beautifully with no smoke. I took off the original deck (no holes) and would like to use the tractor to pull my firewood cart thru the woods. I am going to put new tires on as the old ones are quite dry rotted.

243394.jpg

Here's me a few lews later loading up the 127 for the BIG DOG 1650 on return trip!
243396.jpg

And a shot of my little sister and her friends selling pumkins and corn shocks loaded on the International Harvester #7 trailer. for Halloween. The trailer at this point had been repainted white.
243397.jpg

Scott,
Welcome to <u>THEE BEST</u> Cub Cadet site in town!!
Sweet tractor. Gotta' love those 7 Lil' ponies.

My first message folks so am hoping you forgive any errors.
Am wondering if anyone knows if a 14 HP Kohler
K321AS will fit a 10HP 106 model K241S.
Many thanks to anyone who is able to help.

Rmadsen

Ralph "M",
Another WELCOME is in order here. Do you know what model Cub Cadet it was if it did indeed came out of a Cub Cadet?? Does the 106 frame have the "flanges" for the bigger engine?

Scott, Ralph, WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
WELCOME.gif

Ralph, if you are asking if the 14hp will fit into the 106 chassis, the answer is no. The flywheel is too large on the 14hp and it won't fit down into the narrow frame of the 106.

Kraig, isn't that the same frame as the 147?? or did only the 147 have the flanges? Can see anything in my books.

Jeremiah, thank you, I ordered that flange, if it fits, i'll try and get a pipe fabbed up to fit the stock muffler... or maybe I'll just run a pipe out the side and put a stack on... what would you guys recommend?

Tom, the 147 was the only narrow frame that had the flared frame to fit the larger flywheel.

Latest posts

Back