• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 17, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrschmitt

displayname
Ron R. Schmitt
Larry K,

Removal of the PTO clutch shouldn't damage the triangle tension spring. The PTO clutch rebuild kit contains a new spring. The spring is not available by itself.

I had a tough time getting the basket pulley off the crankshaft on a K301 I'm currently rebuilding. You can't pull/pry on the sheet metal part of the pulley as it will just bend and then you've messed up your pulley as it won't run true. I tried a pair of tire irons which would go between the block and pulley so I could pry directly on the hub but it wouldn't budge, not even with heat. Finally continued tearing the engine down; removed flywheel, piston/rod, bearing plate, and camshaft. I set the block in my press w/basket pulley facing up and two thick steel plates underneath to support the block on the flat machined area where the bearing plate attaches and left clearance b/t the two plates for the crankshaft to come out. Next, I placed the open end of a 1-1/4" combination wrench that was thin enough to get in between the pulley and block and the block and pulley hub. I slid the wrench open end onto the crankshaft so the pulley hub would bear directly on the wrench and then pressed the crankshaft out. It worked great. I think you could also insert two ~1/8" thick steel straps b/t the pulley hub and block instead of a wrench. The wrench was handy and it just happened to work for me. The key is to get something b/t the block and pulley hub so you are not applying load on the sheet metal part of the pulley. Hope this helps.

Thanks Ron. When I was using a puller to get the clutch off, I saw it was going pretty far down and wondered but it still hadn't come off the bearing yet. Once it fell off, I saw what happened. Oh well, chalk it up to learning experience.

I see Charlie has the springs available separate.
PN/ IH 543969 R1 IH-543969-R1

It needs a new bearing/hub assy too. This one feels really rough. I don't doubt the 149 could use new one also. But not sure I want to get into another mess this quickly.

I had same thought on using tire irons, but like you didn't want to damage the pulley. Once I get the flywheel off, I may tear it down like you and try pressing it off. I have the technology.....

322009.jpg

Ron and Larry - you guys are putting to much into it. You need one of these:
322012.jpg

Charlie - what's up with that Original??? It's on some type of steel grate and looks like the pic is picking up the tarnished green color from the grates.

I hadn't forgotten, that's why I was asking.

So the hood, grille, seat and wheels are mint green.. Is what is supposed to be yellow, a tan color, or are my eyes just playing tricks...

Looking at the picture on my PC, the green stands out better than it did on my iPad. But still can't put a name on the color that is replacing the yellow.

So, do you know if the original plan, before it was nixed, was the white being replaced with the custom color, and the rest being yellow, or more what we see on this one, of the white being custom, and the rest being a neutral color?

Reminds me of the "Patio Tractors" that someone else made.......

IIRC, they were supposed to be Harvester White with the colored hoods, seats, and wheels.......like the Patios, but way before them....

Was the 54" snow blade available for narrow frames, or only wide? Anyone run a 54" on a 147?

A 54" blade is just to much, it'll end up just pushing the front end around. Unless it's the smallest / lightest snowfall. I know a few guys here have had the experience and reported less than favorable results. I haven't bothered to try as the standard 42" blade can push the front around in heavy snow.

Buddy had a 54" hydraulic angle blade on his 1812, was a bear like stated in wet snow on a gravel driveway. 42" does well for me on my 100 and dad on his 1450.

Only reason I ask about the 54"/NF combo is Dad recently passed, and left us with an 1811, 1250, and 147 running (amongst a handful of parts machines). Dad had a 54" blade and a QA42A thrower. My Brother wants to set up a machine for each for the winter. I figured the 1811 on the thrower (due to the twin cyl engine) and the 147 on the blade (due to it's weight), but haven't heard of a NF 54". Just wondered everyone's thoughts. Myself I have a 42" power angle blade and a QA42A on each of my 782s. How does a 782 compare to a 147 weight wise?

Brian, if it's a dedicated setup, could try filling the front tires for added steering weight. Front tire chains, or AG/more aggressive style tire, but will impact steering ease. The 14hp will most likely handle it, just have to deal with the other issues that come up. Doing the steering box upgrade among other things should help.

Stick to a 42" blade, the only 54" that will work well is a Haban for the SGT's.

I built a 58" blade once.....awesome for crumbing up after the thrower or on 1-2" snows, but in heavy wet slushy stuff......like an anchor...just too much to push.

322018.jpg

That said, swap subframes and there is no reason a 54" couldn't be run on a narrow frame machine

Back