• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 16, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmccall

displayname
Clint McCall
Well looks like I will be eating some upside down stuff for future reference!! I mean lots of it in one big helping thank to my canny ability to make things read what I want them to (sears into IH) even if I have to turn them upside down part of the way through the serial number. I better get checked out, next thing you know I will be posting pictures of sears garden tractors trying to convince myself...along with others it says IH

Matt, the out side spindles mesures 31.5 , the shell measures 48 in on my 42" mower hope that helps you.

Question for people who have experimented around with mower decks. Since I've repowered My 72 it REALLY needs a bigger deck. I've actually got two of the later model 3-blade 38" decks without the CI ends, the one that came on the 72 which I've modified for improved performance and another off the 70 which Dad bought in about 1980 or ??? which isn't modified, and it doesn't even have skid shoes, gauge wheels or anything!
Modifying a 42" deck doesn't gain Me much so how do the later 48" decks perform? I'm not interested in a "Rare?" pin-on deck but the later ones with the frt forged eyebolts. Looks like the three blades are still different lengths according to the parts look-up. I had a 44A deck on the old 129 and it was a good performing deck, I liked the fact the blades were all the same but hated the expensive bearings. The 50C on the 982 is a decent deck but more flimsy since it's bigger.

What styles of decks have You used and what were Your opinions on how they performed? My Wife Bless Her Heart suggested a Simplicity deck so I can make those fancy patterns in the yard like You see on baseball diamonds!

And since we're doing opinions.. I want to replace the front tires on the 73. I'm looking for something that's ok in the summer while mowing but will still provide some traction when using the snowplow. I was wondering if anyone had used tri-ribs when plowing snow? Actually curious about any tires you guys use! The old turf / slicks don't cut it at all and am looking for choices. TIA

Dennis:
Tow a lawn roller behind the Cub when mowing....

heres the pics of the deck
168273.jpg

168274.jpg

KENDELL - Wouldn't it be easier to put the small rollers on the back of the deck?

I put a rear roller behind the center blade of My 50C under the deck housing this spring and that really helped improve it's performance. Steve B. made a nice post about that a year or two ago.

The modifications I made to my old 38" deck were to allow Me to trim closer to things and to get clippings out of the deck without them bunching up. It was really poor at that before My changes.

Dennis:
Well, yahhhh..... but I was trying to help you get by cheaply.. I know Sc.g sells the "Tiger Striper" rollers for my ZTR, but with my cut up lawn (no big sections), the patterns would look like something a school kid would draw with a crayon.

Clint - it was all in good fun - just paint 'em IH white and bolt 'em on - they'll say "IH" once per revolution!!! (my 129's got some pot type weights that fit inside the wheel and they were originally, ummm, yellow...)

Are the cub 124's still very popular among the other models? I dont seem to see many around anymore besides my 1971 cub 124.

I hope i can find the reason why my 124's charge indicator doesn't seem to work. It will not go to "C" once it starts, and it moves back and forth when im drivin' it. Also it does not seem to charge anymore. Could this be a bad voltage regulator? Thanks!

Funny thing is that my 124 had sat in a barn for 12 years untouched. All it took was a new bat,spark plug, and a fresh tank of gas. Fired right up. You cant kill these machines! The new cubs after 1981, became worthless junk as me and my friend agree. He has 1 original,a 70, 100, 122,and the rare 123 hydro. All part of the "greats".

does anyone happen to have the deminsions for the pulley on the jackshaft of a haban 402-d sickle mower? i just got mine up running sort of keeps throwing the belt off and the belt is rubbing the grill casting, i am just curious if someone down the road had changed the pulley. thanks josh

Tim Daugherty,
Check the amp gauge. See if it's posts are loose. You will have to remove it to check it.

Tim I have a 124 and it is one of the best tractors i own. Nothing will ever top the 147 and 169 but the 124 will come close. I have a #2 tiller on it and it is a dream.I have changed a lot after this piccture.
168277.jpg

Tim, I have a 124 and consider her my "sweetheart". She makes the sweetest cut. Keep in mind she has competition right here at home.

Wayne

Dennis, I used a 48" deck on my 106 for years. I only mowed in 1st gear because my lawn was a little rough and it worked that little K241 too much using the fast 2nd gear. I then switched it to my 109 w/K301 in it when I bought it. It did a real good job of cutting after I got all the spidles in line and replaced the guards around the blades. I was cutting about 4 acres at the time. I later went to a 50" w/gauge wheels when I bought my 129 and rebuilt the engine with a few killer kohler mods. I have been using that setup since.

Hi guys just got back from dragging the Golden Falcon 5th wheel for the weekend. we had a great time and Cub Cadet time in the am. She is back to work lol. I noticed my charge gauge go to full charge the other day and wondered if i read a post about the most a starter gen will put out is about 13.8 . Just thought there are smarter people here that can tell me what is up. Have a great day and thanks so much Guys. later Don T
thumbsup_old.gif
greenthumb.gif

I know this has been asked and answered a million times, but I can't seem to find it on search. After I remove the six set screws from the PTO on my 106 how do I force the PTO off the bearing.

I have a question for you rubber experts out there. I have an Ohio Rubber seat on my 102 project tractor that has a tear in the rubber as shown below. Normally there is a piece of steel rod that loops around from the frame section which slips inside what should be a slot in one continuous piece of rubber, which as you can see is torn.

Is there any practical way to repair this? I have another Ohio Rubber seat on my other 102, which has sat out in the weather, so the rubber isn't as nice and the frame is bent, but the seat is intact. I've thought about using some of that fiber reinforced neoprene to reinforce the area, but unless it grips well it will be an exercise in futility I'm afraid. Any thoughts on this?

168285.jpg

Latest posts

Back