• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 15, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgonitzke

displayname
Matt Gonitzke
Scott N.-

Is the toe-in set correctly (1/8") on all of your tractors? That will make a tremendous difference in steering effort required.

When everything is adjusted correctly and lubricated, I have never noticed a difference in steering effort between any of my WF or 82 series tractors, with the exception of the 782D, in which the engine weight does make a bit of a difference.

Jeff,
Crickets? Wonder what's up with that? Noisy, too.
err.gif
Maybe they wanted to be a part of off topic Friday..........

Attachments

• err.gif
    err.gif
    251 bytes · Views: 135
I think he is talking about the difference he would feel with a Cub with the three turn steering box . I know it makes a difference in steering effort on my 1512 D.

I don't think I will ever get over the fact how well built our IH Cub Cadet Quiet Lines are!

On my 1450, I have the 50" mower deck under carriage attached, and without the drive belt on. So I was wondering if once in a while I should be running the tractor with the pto switch in the "on" position. Somewhere, I read where on the narrow frame mechanical type pto's, that its good to run those engaged. I guess my question is, when the pto is not in service, should I flick the switch on or not? What do you guys do?

I have a few spare pto switches that are good. Can I use one of those to function my rear grote light? I thought this switch would look clean next to the pto switch.

Since I love to write about my 1450, maybe one day I will submit something to the Cadet Connection! Thank you in advance for any insight on what I wish to do with my 1450.

Spindle condition is HUGE for steering effort. If the spacers are not set correctly, it will turn hard......

John L.-

I would leave an electric PTO off when it is not in use. The mechanical ones should be engaged with no belt on them because when the clutch is engaged, no wear is occurring since the entire assembly is rotating and the PTO button is not contacting the clutch.

An electric PTO clutch will be drawing current when it is on. When it is off, the only thing wearing is the sealed bearing, which should last a very, very long time.

CC SPECIALTIES
Just a comment on CC Specialties. Reasonably cost, good service, quick delivery. I ordered one afternoon and received it the next day. Now he is in MN and am I so that may make a difference but I was impressed. Great place to purchase parts.
Earl

I have a ih cub cadet 782 with the kt17 series 2 motor that has gone through a few used fuel pumps over the last 18 months. Any recommendations on what after market pump is best. There seems to be a large range in prices from one supplier to the other. Is the Stens a good choice?? Should I stick with the Kohler pump?? Thanks in advance!! Terry

Spent the afternoon prepping 82 series sheet metal for paint.....lots of decal removal and sanding.....

Trying to get the 1572 ready for Half Century of Progress show the last weekend in August. Plow will look better with a turbo diesel pulling it
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 124
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 131
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 129
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 132
Dave Kirk sells a nice low pressure electric pump. See sponsors above......

Steve B. Could you elaborate on "If the spacers are not set correctly"? As far as I know the Spindles have not been disassembled on my 782 or 1650. They should be the same as they came form the factory, unless a PO has done something to them.

If the spacers are stuck in the spindle and the spindles are not clamped to them such that the spacer is rotating in the axle, and the spindle is instead rotating around the bolt, it wears on the bolt and spindle and increases the force required to steer. In other words, there should be no relative movement between the spindle, bolt, and spacer.

My dad has wanted to put a rear lift on his 149 Chief since we restored it. I'm getting ready to sell my 782 and I have a lift setup on it. Is that a drop in replacement on his tractor? If not, what do I need to do to make it work. I have looked for a setup for him without success. Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated
dunno.gif

Attachments

• dunno.gif
    dunno.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 137
Joshua, not sure about the upper cast piece but the lift bar that goes between the upper cast piece and the lift rockshaft are different. Also, if your 782 has the aluminum rear it will have a different lower hitch part as the bolt count and spacing are different on it than on the cast iron rear.

Joshua & Kraig,
The lower bracket that Xtreme Motorworks sells covers both the cast and aluminum rear ends.
298507.jpg

Attachments

• 298507.jpg
    298507.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 154
Charlie, yep, however, Joshua was asking if the existing setup he has on his 782 would work on a 149.
happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 129
Mat, thank you very much. As they say you learn something new every day. I always thought the bolt was all that rotated when you turned. I will have to do some checking on the two I have that are hard to steer. It seems weird that it is only on the later models.

The 782 I have is serial number 678,XXX so it was built as an IH tractor and still retains the original cast rear end. I was hoping that because it was a wide frame that the lift bar and cast "third arm" would be the same. Kraig has pointed out that the lift bar is indeed different. Now I have to see what else isn't the same...thanks for the help so far.

Finishing the inside of my garage, and to save some valuable space I wanted to slide two of my cubs under a shelf. I priced regular car tire dollies, and they are not inexpensive.
I've tried some cheap snowmobile dollies that I had, but they pop out from under the tires if I try to change direction. Thinking about 4 Harbor Freight wooden moving dollies maybe strapped together or using 4 pieces of wood and buying castors. Any thoughts?

John,

You can remove material from the top of the axle casting to make sure the spindle kingpin bolt tightens down securely on the spacer.

First step is to remove spindle and spacer and completely clean and re-lube....many times the spacers are stuck tight from dry grease. (hard steering....)

Back