• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 15, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmacdonald

displayname
James MacDonald
Thanks Wyatt. I've finaly got a schedule for construction of my first home garage. Looking forward to restoring a mod 70. Sandblasting looks like the route to go. I did take a peek at the electrolysis method in the archives and that looks interesting especially for small pieces.
jimmac

Dave K2,

I have some detail shots in a higher resolution for Kraig. I will e-mail them off to him tomorrow.

He ran a drive shaft from the rear of the first Hydro unit to the front of the second one. The linkage is set up similar. With the rear hydro being controlled by the front one. I didn't get a good picture of the linkage. I did tell Gene about this board and Plow day this fall. I mentioned that he would be welcome and see a whole lot of Cubs.

Some pics of Bubba plowing Sat at Sycamore
20945.jpg
20946.jpg
20947.jpg

Another pic of the two hydro 149
20949.jpg

(Message edited by mmasheris on August 15, 2004)

Kendal
The CPE-2 section J P10 shows the springs are the same IH-485298-R1 for wide and narrow frame.
Jerry

I am not the sharpest plow in the field when it comes to computers. Can anyone tell me if there is a search engine for the archives. If yes, how do I access it. I hate asking questions that I know have already been answered several times.

David M,
Down at the bottom of this page you will KEYWORD SEARCH, Click on that and type in what your lookin for and down at the bottom you will see, SEARCH OPTIONS, hit the down arrow and click on OPEN FORUM ARCHIVE. ;-p

David,
At least you dint ask the question I was asked the other day and I quote,

"Hi, I wonder if you could tell me if I have to fill the gas tank all the way full before I start my 127 to mow my yard."

I talked to Gene for a little bit before he left this morning. Turns out he lives just a couple of mile from my Inlaws down in Ottawa, and he has quite a collection of cub cadets. I guess that explains why I never see any around when I go to visit... :)

Like Tedd said, the output of the first hydro goes to the second, and he just tied together the linkages. No brakes on the back axle, and the battery is all the way in the back. He said it started out as a gear drive (108?). It was very nicely done.

20952.jpg

20953.jpg

20954.jpg

20955.jpg

20956.jpg

And for the slant-grill lovers...

20957.jpg

Charlie,
I was actually looking for this;
http://www.p.f.engineering.50megs.com/photo.html
But I saved the text and pics you sent me for future reference. Thank you.

Wyatt,
On your setup, did you have to add a collar for the grease seal to ride on? Or did your hubs have the a seal with the same 1" ID as the bearings?
Most of the hubs I have seen that use 1" bearings
use a 1-1/4" ID seal.

Is there a cross reference list that might help me with a mower deck. The only numbers that I find on my mod. 70 are 473415R1 molded into the deck. If I measure the widest part of the deck I get 47 inches so I thought it must be a 47" deck, or is that just some kind of casting information?
I was talking to a fella who say he has a 42" mower that measures 44" at the widest part. I ran out to the yard and measured my mod. 70. I appears to be 42" at the farthest on the blades and 47" on the top. Something doesn't add up.
jimmac

(Message edited by jmacdonald on August 15, 2004)

(Message edited by jmacdonald on August 15, 2004)

Mike-
What's the white lever on the two-engined 100? Looks to be some kind of intermediate clutch or something?

By the way..
Did you recently repaint that 14hp Original? It looks good...

(Message edited by aaytay on August 15, 2004)

Todd-
I used a plain steel spacer (something like 1020CD bar) turned and OD polished, it's a pretty tight clearance fit to the spindle, loctited in place.

I ran the spindles on my 169 for well over a year, maybe close to 2. Since the setup's done being shook down, it's the setup now on my project tractor. Inspected all the parts recently and I couldn't find wear anywhere, the spacers hadn't spun at all, the loctite's holding well.

Glad to see that some of you guys made it to The Sycamore Show. Not too much of the Cub Cadet kinda' show, but they are squeeking in there. I had to work Saturday, but did make it today. Forgot my camera, but it looks like the Cub Cadet pix made it here.

Tedd,
I see from the angle that you took the Steam Traction engines pictures making the first turn that you were hanging out by the scale model trains. What did you guys think of the show??

Gonna ask the Democracy of Two's indulgence for one more OT post.

Alex, about a half hour after birth:

20963.jpg

To keep it somewhat on topic (well, to get a Cub in there):

20964.jpg

Spent some time wiring the Cub project this weekend. I got it all buttoned up only to find it wouldn't start. Pulled the plug to check for fuel and spark. Fuel I've got, spark - I no got. Then it dawned on me - I left the keyswitch in it that originally came on the Vanguard V-twin that I pulled out of the tractor. The Vanguard is a magneto ignition and the Kohler is a battery ignition. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that the switch isn't sending current to the coil. All of you who know electricity better than me (which is everyone, including the newborn pictured just below...) are welcome to chime in here. If I'm right, apart it all comes so that I can change the switch. If I'm not on the right track, it'll save me a bunch of time if you redirect my efforts.

Thanks in advance.
Zippy the Voltage Boy

Keith If you don't have a volt meter couldn't you temporarily put a jumper across the suspected bad switch to simulate turning the switch to the on position?
jimmac

Back