• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 14, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wayne - did you see the 4 bolts Charlie has holding those (off brand) wheel weights on? 2 of them hold the weights from falling off, and the other 2 keep the weights from running away
happy.gif

Dennis - hmmm, I still think they are an "off topic" brand, which ever it may be.

Charlie - yup, more air is more power. In fact, you could go to the AQS style air cleaner and flywheel shroud, and then you'd have ram air, or maybe forced air injection, since that air blows off the flywheel directly into the air cleaner to the carb. I wonder what the temp of the air is? (LoL)

HARRY - Those weights were on the #70 from 1970 till I took them off in 1981 to put them on my #72 where they still are, so I think they are on-topic.

Weights are weight.... more is better, not enough is bad. Nothing wrong with the green or yellow weights, they're just over-priced like everything else with those paint colors.

I do like my MWSC 10# suitcase weights. They "Technically" are off-topic too but they're patterned after the IH suitcase weights, and so many people have them that they've become on-topic here.

Back when I worked for the auto shredding equipment company, we had a casting the exact same size as a CC wheel weight except it had five notches around the OD similar to the valve stem notch on the CC wheel weights. It was a hammer pin protector for a large scrap metal shredder, it actually weighed more than the CC weight because steel is heavier than cast iron. Think I had 8-10 on the shelf that I almost bought as surplus but they were hardened steel, too hard to drill the 1/2" mounting holes, and it would have been tough to get four mounting holes stuck in with the five valve stem notches so never followed up on it. Back then you could still find CC weights for less than $50/pair frequently.

Tom-
The back plate on the 169 is different in that it has a plate for a gasket to seal to the air cleaner cannister. Look up the "sound supression kit" for the air cleaner base.

I've taken heat for it before, but the air cleaner assembly for the 169 is a POS. There's two holes that focus all the dirt and debris on two spots on the filter. Over in the "not OEM" section I posted my revised "precleaner housing". I mowed with it a couple times and it works MUCH better, and achieves the same goal of focusing the intake noise away from your ears. I used an air cleaner housing from a K582/K532 (forerunners of the KT series of twins) that has more depth than the K341/KT17/Magnum air cleaner cannister, this more filter area.

Wyatt, I have a off color green tractor that I put a K341 in been running the stock 12hp air cleaner I was thinking about putting one off a 169 on for more air after reading your post maybe I need to find one off something else like a 400 JD possibly?? I'm not sure what I should use any thoughts?

Just a thought on more air from a bigger air filter. I think if you add more air that would lean out the mixture of air fuel that you had before adding that bigger filter. After adding a bigger filter that would give more air you would also have to adjust the mixture (correct)! so the gain would be very small because the engine was not designed for that extra air fuel mixture .
1a_scratchhead.gif
I know that when ever you add more air to an engine you must add more fuel to see any benefits of the change.
old.gif

I think a person would have to know just how much air the engine can draw,or how efficient it could be with porting and then more air getting in the cylinder , one would have to re jet for more Gas so you would have a good burning engine.

Has anyone come up with an ingenious way to hang a few suitcase weights on the back of a stock 782 over the hitch or general area to add weight for throwing snow this winter? There are a few holes in the vertical metal on either side and seems the area is solid enough to be able to make some sort of bracket to bolt on to hold some suitcases. Just looking for inspiration.

I don't think there is any power advantage to the larger air filter, at least as far as the likes of a stock K341. My only personal goal was to have more filter area so the filter is more tollerant to neglect
angel.gif

Here's a "sound suppression" type filter base, ring backing ring for the seal is present. It is Kohler PN 237424, the base seal is PN 237423 (numbers taken off the boxes and confirmed with kit instructions from kit # 237847). And if you look for the big K582 type air filter, its # 277138. The K582 air cleaner housings have gone NLA to the best of my knowledge.

Using the 237424 base, you'll likely want to extend the hold-down threads as shown below.
243214.jpg

And this is what a 169 breathes through, Kohler terms it as "a substantial reduction of the air intake noise level". Nobody bought a 169 to sneak up on anyone.
talker.gif

243215.jpg

Dennis, I did some research on cast iron. I'm surprised to see there are different structures of it as well. I think I'll keep a look out for a better part. Hate to mess it up and it becomes weeker and falls apart.

I am in the process of changing the hyro oil in my 982 Took off the 3 point. I found an extra set of holes in the arms. Are these factory or did a previous owner modify it? Manual and parts look up only show one set. Found a pic on the internet with the double holes. maybe the same exact one I have. Also, in my tunnel cover there is a hole. Looks like someone drilled it out. Is this factory or another modification? What do you guys think?

board-post.pl

board-post.pl

Latest posts

Back