• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 13, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwittman

displayname
Brian Wittman
I think all of engaged in this conversation are saying the same thing in very different ways. Some wish to do a refurbishment/restoration and just look at its beauty. Others wish to use their tractors as they are intended; to work and to work hard. Still others don't want to do anything with their Cubs, but rather leave them in their original and experienced condition to continue their trade. I want to shine up mine, and yet give it a chance to exercise and enjoy a life of semi-retirement; work, but not work too hard. This is a reflection of our own personalities, principles and values.

Harry, When you come to Minnesota, you might as well bring your 169 along and look for that parade. I'll bring the 1250 Nightmare (yes, you CAN say its name without fear) to show off your work. Perhaps we can find a sponsor above? The 1250 originated from that area so it will be well familiar with the surroundings.

When I finished refurbishing my Original, one of the first things I did was hook up the plow and give it a workout. I didn't spend years and lots of $$$ refurbishing it just to let it set under a blanket in the garage. I'm not afraid to use it. Yep, it has a few chips in the paint and it's dirty. However, it spends most days setting in the garage under a blanket.
roflol.gif

289362.jpg

I have a 1000 that a neighbor gave me that I'll probably maintain but never restore. It has a non-OEM seat that was welded on the brackets by another neighbor that has since died and other scrapes and scratches that add character and bring back memories.

I bought a 1450 that came with a beat up deck, a 3 point, #2 tiller in great shape and wheel weights. It was a complete basket case when I got it. A lot of sweat and some $$$ got it operational again. I'll restore that one someday. After replacing a lot of mechanical parts and sheet metal it shouldn't cost as much as if I did it all at once. Really it only needs paint and decals at this point. I imagine most people that restored a tractor ate those words at some point.

Hey, since we're talking restorations and rattle can painting - in my opinion Charlie's got the best stuff in rattle cans I ever found to use. These dry up nice and provide the best gloss:
Case IH IronGuard white and
CCC Yellar for the IH CC units.

I have tried the IronGuard Yellar and it was a little to runny for me and not as glossy as the CCC stuff, and the CCC White for IH CC units, well it just didn't gloss as well as the IronGuard.
So go to Charlie and get the BEST!!!!

Thanks for the kind words on my ot tractor. I have every intention of using it. I have been talking to Steve about a plow. Plan to build a disc and cultivator for it this winter. I have even mowed the yard with it twice now. I think it will be fun to take it to a plow day. Along with my original and my other painted 782 gas. Just have to find one when I am not in the fields. Thanks Jim

Harry B
I read back a few posts and I don`t see why you would play up to digger lol,. I sold a few cubs this summer and the fleet has gone down to
1a_scratchhead.gif
close to 12 yet. I think I need to give Charlie a call . It has been awhile and well I do miss posting on this site. Going back to fall and shop time for me. so much to do and now the bar has been raised by Jim and a few others that I know my paint jobs won`t pass muster . One beaut of a job on his last tractor .

X3 .... its not a restoration by any means, but for all the work I did, I went out and cultivated a muddy sweet corn patch
289364.jpg

Kraig

That is a sweet pic. Looks like the O does a great job (and the driver does a great job maintaining straight furrows).

I'm with Steve and Kraig on the subject of whether to use a newly painted tractor or not. If you want to just look at a shiny tractor buy a magazine.

Tractors replaced mules and oxen...in other words, they were made to work.

I mowed over an acre today with a nicely painted 149 that has a ragged looking deck. I'll eventually paint the deck but then will reinstall it and continue cutting the grass.

To me, not working a freshly painted tractor is sorta like buying a new car and parking it in the driveway for good.

Wyatt, nice!
greenthumb.gif

Dan G., thank you!
happy.gif
happy.gif
It was not all that long of an area so it wasn't hard to keep it straight.

289366.jpg

It works even better with ag tires and weights.
happy.gif

289367.jpg

289368.jpg

X3 .... its not a restoration by any means, but for all the work I did, I went out and cultivated a muddy sweet corn patch
your_image.gif

While at our local fair a friend called me and asked if I wnted an old cub, and of course I said yes.

Got home to find an Original sitting in the drive,,

pics and serial tomorrow I hope

Now I have to fill out an application for the narrow frame club lol

Goat shows tomorrow and friday,, Today one daughter won two champiagn class's in poultry and my other daughter took second in showmanship.

Kraig,
The O looks great. All my cubs are workers, too.

Jeff,
Not only are ya joining the narrow frame club, but also that clutch and gear shifter thingy as well.
Shift.gif
Can't wait to see some pics.......

heres my NEW to me cub O serial, looks like December 1962

Kraig why does yours looked raised and mine are indented?

289374.jpg

Is an O an actual NF? It doesn't really share any of the bits of a regular NF other than it has a clutch and a shift. And some NF don't even have those. I was under the assumption that an O was and O... Not a NF.

Heck an O is not even limited to 12hp and under. The frame is flat and with a few extra holes I could easily bolt on a 14-16hp motor.

Jeff,
I thought it was embossed too at first, but I looked at it later and had a paradigm shift and it now looks stamped.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Kraig's picture is actually something discovered on the moon's surface - it now turns out the Lunar Rover was actually an "O" (those are its tracks) .....
bouncy.gif

Back