• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 12, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkirk

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Kirk
These are the last two pictures I took at the Eden tractor pull. Son Doug took some of me on the pull but haven't gotten them yet. Will post these too when received and reviewed for embarrasment factor.
20877.jpg

20878.jpg

I think this is a fine spline HD vcarrier rear end with aluminum axle tubes.Anyone agree or disagree?Its out of a 582.
20882.jpg

Hmmm...I was thinking that the 582 only had the Cast Iron tranny with AL housings...but the 1508 or whatever the last gear drive was had the AL tranny housing & HD gears.. am I crazy?

That's a bad question for you to ask, Ryan- someone might offer you the truth! :-}

How's the ankle doin'?

Ryan:
I think the last manly gear drive was the 1806 - like an 1810/11 only with the gear cruncher tranny.

Oh, and Ryan, tell Dave about the driving thing while airing out the foot. That'll remove all doubt about the crazy thing.

Keith

Fine spline axle question-
There's two types of clips to retain axles, the "E" clips and the "C" clips. . . which work better on retaining axle shafts? When reassembling the transaxle I found that I've got both types, and that both types interchange with coarse spline axles. I know at Plow Days some folks have spit an axle out but I never found what sort of clip they ran.

Wyatt,
I'd go with a C-clip since thay have more surface contact area to retain the axle than an E-clip, which is basically a 3 point contact. Kenny

Wyatt-
The Plow Special spit out an axle at Blunier's last event, but that was it's maiden voyage when it was still deciding if it liked me.
uhoh.gif

20917.jpg

The Originals use a spring-clip style retainer that holds the axle into the axle tube, so it's kind of a different set up than the rest of the [later] gear-drives.

Maybe that's what you were remembering?

Keith-
Where ya been???

Art:
Earning a living & home improvement. Boy, do I know how to have a good time, or what???
Keith

Don't let Keith fool'ya, Wyatt- Keith's actually building a Cub Cadet workshop and storage facility right-next-door... about 3500 sqft, 2 story with finished basement shop... the works... I saw the footings were dug just the other day!!! :-}

Okay Ryan- Fess-up... let's hear the story...

(Message edited by dkamp on August 14, 2004)

Okay...The doctor said to keep my foot up except to go to the restroom for the most part.

Amanda had 7 women and 12 kids over to the house for a church group, and I had to get out. So, I got in the Ford SuperDuty, hung my leg out the window, and drove to work to catch up on some email with my leg elevated on the desk.

I caught more than a couple odd/long/second looks on the way to and from the office.
happy.gif

Dr. said Friday that I can drive without my leg out the window for the sake of safety.

(Message edited by rmull on August 15, 2004)

Well, Ryan, I don't fault 'ya one bit for that. Many years ago, I got my left foot in a power-mower... took my big toe off, and send fragments of the big joint and arch out through the other side of the foot (and left some pieces behind). After two rounds of surgery, my recovery regimen included soaking my foot four times a day... for an hour at each crack, in soapy water that was at about 160F... that was lots of fun.

A dozen-or-so years later, I'm holding one end of a 20' long railroad bridge plank (creosoted) 10" wide and 5" thick, walking down my dad's boat-ramp to install said plank into a seawall we were building. Stepped on a rock, which broke the shank of my boot, sent the steel shank into the arch a bit, caused me to turn my ankle, and I went down like a rock, plank landed on my leg. I taped up my foot, went back to work. Three days later, the X-ray tech tells me the leg's broken in four places...

Dave & Ryan:
'One time..............@ band camp............. I stuck my flute in my **ssy.'
Courtesy of American Pie, I do believe.

I just love it when folks compare battle scars. Makes me think of that seen in the movie Jaws when the three guys are in the boat comparing scars. And then Richard Dreyfus points to his chest and claims 'broken heart' or something to that effect.

later,
Keith

Keith-
Verify that line, then get back to me- apparently it's a movie I need to see... :-}

You'll need to either change out that B&S switch, or find a terminal on the switch that's hot whenever the key is in START or RUN.

Be Careful not to wire the charging circuit's output to the same side of the ignition switch as the coil... otherwise, once you start the engine, it'll stay running even after you've turned off the key :-}

Also- If you've got a ring-gear start engine, keep that center wire (from the solid-state) regulator out of the direct line of the ignition circuit... either use the quietline wiring harness and switch, or wire the center pin to the right side terminal of the ammeter... otherwise the starter solenoid, starter, and ignition coil's collapsing magnetic field will really give it a whang when operating the keyswitch and kill the regulator block.

DK :)

Keith-

Needless to say....

I HATE that line!
roflol.gif

(Message edited by aaytay on August 16, 2004)

Just got the rebuilt K241 in, tied down, hooked up, filled up, and fired up... adjusted the points, tweaked the governor/throttle cable, and it's runnin' pretty nice.

These Kohlers are pretty decent powerplants when they're not all smoky'n stuff...

Is the break-in oil spec any different from standard operation?

DK :)

Dave K2,

Break-in oil is same as normal - 30 weight. Kohler recommends a change at 5 hours, then every 25-30 hours thereafter. The 5 hour change will have a little metal (glitter) in it...nothing to worry about. Run it under a good load after about the first 15 - 20 minutes of operation to seat the rings. Load it but don't lug it. Takes about 50 hours for complete break-in of the bore to the chrome top ring. Then if you desire, a synthetic may be used.

Kohler used to recommend a non-detergent oil for the first 5 hours. They've dropped this requirement in the latest manuals, probably due to the difficulty in finding this stuff anymore.

Morning

This is my 2nd year pulling at a local fair.
Last year,I pulled a 982 I gave it too much hydro and almost stalled, 58 feet in modified class. Had to pull in modified because of the 26 inch tires.

This year I have a 1806 and can pull in the stock class. Rules require a kill switch. On the 982 it relatively easy to install a kill switch. Can someone tell me the best place to put the kill switch on the Kolher M18. And if anybody esle has any ideas for a good pull please advise.

Thanks Dennis

Latest posts

Back