• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 09, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everybody. Well I wasn't sure what area to post this. A friend of my wife happens to have this International Scout. Thought it was cool and got some pictures to show.
195905.jpg

195906.jpg

195907.jpg

195908.jpg

Nice looking IH Scout there,
to bad it has a Jeep Comanche motor is it though
hide.gif

Lonny B: That Comanche ain't no Jeep!! Pure IH!!
Brad B: Nice!!

Myron B
With a Scout 800 & a Scout II

nothing special just my cubs coming home from the fair, but it is my cub hauler
195919.jpg

I have no idea who owns this truck. Over lunch today, some coworkers and I went to the nearest Harbor Freight store and on our way back I spotted this. One guy had his I Phone with and I asked him to snap a few photos for me. Enjoy.

195949.jpg

195950.jpg

Note the license plate: 1 BAD IH

195951.jpg

aaron??? do the avalanches run the alison tranny like the normal pickups with the 8.1???

Kraig-
You said it was "lunch-time" when you went to Harbor Freight. Did you at least stop to get some SLIDERS while you were there???
chef.gif

Update on the cargo van. We won't be getting it now. The owner decided to sell it to his son. Oh, well.

BRAD B - Nice Scout!

LONNIE B. - IH did some REALLY weird stuff with Scout engines. The later Scouts had either 304 or 345 cid V-8's. There may have been an in-line 6 but they were rare, also IH used a Nissan 6-cyl. diesel, even a few with turbo's.

But in the early Scouts, IH built slant-4 versions of the 304, displacing 152 CID, and for one year, a 196 cid slant-4, half of a 392 V-8. For something light like the early Scouts IH's old 266 V-6 should have been a nice engine.

And I just LUV the four shift levers sticking out of the floor!

Like most IH trucks, they seemed to have one too few forward gears, 3-speed when most Ford, GM, or Dodges had 4-spds, but they geared them with high enough numerical ratios you could climb trees, or mountains, or whatever. But that meant you had very low cruising speeds unless you wanted to run the engine at 4000+ rpm all day. Which didn't really hurt the engine much, but burned a L-O-T of gas.

Brad, that is a nice Scout. Does it actually have a fourth shift lever, or is that something hanging off the dash? If it has 4, it has an overdrive. The standard Scouts of that era had (3), the 3 speed stick, a shift lever for 4x4 "in and out", and a third lever for low range.

The vent windows and roll up side windows tell us that it is a 63 or newer Scout 80, or more likely a Scout 800. The first Scouts 61 to 63ish had sliding side windows.
IH called the 4 cylinders Comanche's. Don't remember if it was both 152's and 196's. I believe they may have called their 304 V8's Comanche's as well.

They also made a special Scout 800 that was called a Comanche. They had custom stripes, chrome wheels, etc...

Craig - That is a nice IH stepside. My dream is to restore a IH truck from the 60's or 70's and paint it as a IH dealer truck and haul my CC's to shows on a model 1200 IH trailer.

Paul W:

The Comanche Package was only offered for the short duration of the Model 800B. I have a regular 1965 800 4x4 with the Comanche half-V8 4-Cyl.

Beat ya to it...
lol.gif
My 1972 1210 PU with a Model 2000 IH Dealer trailer with my Show Original and my Spirit of 76 Lawn Tractor is shown below...

Myron B
196398.jpg

Very nice set-up Myron! I spent my after school and summer hours of my junior and senior years working at a IH Ag dealer(1982-1983). One of my main jobs was to pick up and deliver used Cub Cadets (for service) and assemble and deliver the new Cub Cadets. I spent a lot of time in a 75 200 pickup hauling a model 1200 trailer. I believe it was a 1200 trailer, I guess it could have been a 2000.
I also remember driving 8-10 Cub Cadets from the back room out to the sidewalk in front of the showroom every day and how my cousin and I enjoyed it.
I distinctly remember when the 982 came out and how we both wanted to get our turn driving it!

So many good memories from the dealership. I do have a 122 and a walk behind 526 tiller from the dealer that I was able to purchase years after they closed the doors, and my brother is restoring a cub low-boy that sold new from the dealer around 66. The low-boy has unique tires on the front that my Dad remembers installing on the low-boy in the late 60's. Now I'm getting off topic.

While I do have a Scout, it does'nt "fit" as well as your truck to haul CC's. It is a 77SSII that belongs more off-road than on.

Paul W: The IH 1200 Trailers (I've got three of 'em) are generally the same in appearance as the larger IH Model 2000 (I've only got one of these). The Model 1200 (Loaded weight) is Cub Cadet size and the larger Model 2000 (again loaded weight) is Cub/Cub LoBoy size.

I also have a couple of Scouts, A 1965 Model 800 4x4 and a 1979 Scout II 4x4 (See below). Either will haul a Model 1200's loaded with a Cub cadet without any problem at all... Haven't tried a loaded Model 2000..

Myron B

207360.jpg

207361.jpg

Myron,
Now that you describe the trailers I'm sure the one I used was a 2000. It was large enough to haul a low-boy. The trailers are hard to find. I've been to the National IH collectors auction for the past four years and there has not been one up for auction, and I don't recall ever seeing one for sale.
I like your Scouts. My Dad has had 15 or so Scouts and IH trucks over the past 30 years. I learned to drive in a 61 Scout 80 and drove them for daily transportation for a few years.
Where do you live in Texas? My Scout is from Denton, Tx - north of Dallas. I hauled it to Mi. on a tow dolly back in 1997, after I bought it.
I typically use my car hauler trailer to haul my Cub Cadets to shows. The one advantage is I can haul five at one time along with my 526 tiller, and a few other attachments.

Terry R: It's now 2010 and I notice that it's a 200<u>5</u> concept, so, Puhleeze, don't be holding your breath....
roflol.gif

Myron B

Terry R: In 2005, it was a Benz idea. Now it's a Fiat deal... Fiat's gonna copycat Benz's ideas? I wonder..but who knows? I suspect that you'll sooner be able to get a diesel pickup from the former International Harvester partner in India, Mahindra & Mahindra, Inc. Stay tuned...

Myron B

Latest posts

Back