• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 09, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KEVIN - About the only thing I can suggest about the interference with the valve guide is to carefully grind away on the guide AND/OR the tap.

WAYNE - I agree 100% on the imported taps. I've actually found the machining of the imported stuff to not really be that bad, just don't make both Male & Female threads with imported taps & dies and expect the threads to be solid! BUT the problem is with the metal itself, it's brittle, tends to snap, plus doesn't hold an edge that well.

There's only about 2-3 GOOD tap makers left in the US and they do charge a good price for their wares. We had a discussion over @ RPM a month or so ago about this. Couple machinists post frequently.

Al my last job I was real close to the tool room & prototype shop and knew a couple of the machinists pretty well. I could "Borrow" what I needed for projects. I even got the 2" NPT tap to chase the threads in the exh. manifold on the Farmall M. 3/4" NC dies to chase wheel weight bolt threads plus the die stock that was three FEET long to turn the die.

Wayne, Here is another option on getting a tap. Renting. I called my local rental center and they do not have pipe taps but they rent pipe dies at $11.00 a day. Maybe call around and check your area before you buy.

FYI - Pipe sizes are nominal, therefore the 3/4", 1" , or 1-1/4" sizes won't measure that in OD or exact ID.

3/4" OD = 1.050"
1" OD = 1.315"
1-1/4" OD = 1.660"

A good rule of thumb for common household black pipe sizes is that the OD is ~5/16" greater than the nominal pipe size.

This may help when identifying pipe taps, etc.

If you need a pipe tap for limited use go to Harbor Frieght. I wouldn't use these everyday but they are resonable and will be fine for this project. Get the set that has 3/4" and 1" in it and you should cover most exhasut ports on small engines.

It's not unusual to see taps and dies at garage sales and larger flea markets...
thumbsup_old.gif

Harry and Matt, the 125 lives! I got the hydro all loosened up, put a battery in her, noticed the condenser wire end blown out, was hooked on the wrong side of the coil, put in new condenser and spark plug, gassed her up and away she went, no smoke, nice tight hydro, like and old friend of mine said, "once in a while sun does shine on a dog`s -ss", thanks again...........Lyle

Anyone know what size o-ring to use on the fuel shut off in the sediment bowl on a 147? Thanks

Kendall, Did you try snugging up the packing nut to get it to seal? I think that does not have a O-ring in there, but packing material..

Hi, everyone. a while back i bought an old cadet, the emblem on the hood says its an 86, but I'm not sure. could someone maybe tell me what it is. The # on the trans is 385058R1. I have a wide frame hitch i tried to put on it, but the hitch is to wide. Thats why I don't think its an 86. Thanks, Jeff H.

Back