• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 03, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdcgurski

displayname
john gurski
Can someone give me some tips on installing a 14hp kohler into a 126. I know the frame will have to be modified just wondering if anyone out there has done this before. Thanks for you help.

Fresh pictures from this past Sunday.
Check out http://www.pantherpulling.com for all 100+ pictures in full size!!

289190.jpg

289191.jpg

289192.jpg

289193.jpg

289194.jpg

289195.jpg

289196.jpg

289197.jpg

289198.jpg

Hey all, never posted in this section.
looking for two tips on pulling, how low should I run the tire pressure, and the wife is using the 149, whats the best way to operate the hydro when pulling.

Doug. It depends on your tire and the track, but generally less than 10lbs. We have run ours as low as 4 and as high as 6.5lbs this year. You'll need a tire gauge that goes to single digits to do it.

As for pulling with a hydro, just put it full throttle at the sled, ease into the forward lever and then push it all the way up til you stop. Unfortunately, hydro's don't have enough pressure to really get down the track. You'll usually pop the relief valves so the pump doesn't kill itself. Just be sure to get back to the stop position when you stop moving forward.

And give both the engine and hydro 5 or more minutes of idle time after to cool down before you park it.

Thanks Nic. the pressure gauge is no problem. were running tru powers loaded with washer fluid. Yes I realize track conditions will play a roll in tire pressure.
On the hydro I was going to keep it under 1/4 speed to try and mimic a "low gear" we will try your way

A hydro only has 1 gear. speed is determined in how fast you turn it. So going slow doesnt "change" your ratio, your just literally turning it slower. Pulling with a hydro is directly related to how much resistance you put on the pump. The more resistance, the closer you get to popping a relief valve. So momentum will be your friend. Try to get going as fast as possible and let the weight of the sled push itself a few more feet.
Think if you had to pull it by hand. If you go really slow when you get tired the sled just stops. But if you could run with it and you stop pulling, the sled keeps sliding a few feet. Cause your body only has "one gear", its just a matter of how fast you run. Understand?

Now pulling with a gear drive is different, cause you can choose a gear ratio to pull with. Ideally, we would pull in third gear, but we don't make enough power to really get moving. So we have to pull in second to not kill the engine.

My thought was that It would keep the motor from stalling out running slower. what's the likely hood of breaking something going full on, what if the dump valve don't dump?

My 106/loader I pull in low/two, other wise I stall out the 10hp motor

Typically, if it doesn't dump you just stall the engine. Those pump are tough, I doubt you'll tear it out. Most likely the engine will start to bog down and you'll either spin out or stop moving forward even though you pushing on the control, which means you should let off...

On a hard pull you will kill the engine or spin out before you ever hurt the hydro....like Nic said, they are tough.

I have been plowing and flogged them until I have accidentally killed the engine.....start up and keep right on plowing.

Push the hydro lever until you have the engine pulled into the max torque range, but don't "get under it" and over do it right off the bat. Stalling the engine 10 feet into the pull won't win....you need to practice finding the line between pulling it down to max useable torque and pulling it down so far it won't recover....and then ride the line until it spins out or dies.....

Momentum is your friend with a hydro, and it's the only "advantage?????" the hydro has......get the speed up quick, so you can "ride it out" as long as you can........you are losing at least 2 hp to running the pump and the fluid coupling....so make the most of the infinite speeds while you can (early in the run).

Plowing with a hydro offers great insight into how hard they will pull and where they run the best......sinking a 12" plow 7" deep and moving along at a good clip will teach you a lot about the limits of the hydro (and the momentum benefits when you hit a tight spot).

Wow! Can you believe no one has posted over here since August!!!

And I thought the main board was quiet.

Lucas Oil is back on board for a third straight year. I would love to personal shake the hands of the Lucas family for their unending support of all things with an engine. What a great family.

I'll try to post more pictures in the coming season.

I've been meaning to post how the wife did in the pull at the Sky Valley show back in August
On sat. her first attempt she went too quick on the speed control and stalled. Because she hadn't gone fifteen ft they let her go again. Her second attempt she went fifty one ft.
On sun. I signed up to pull with the 149 to show her how its done and stalled at about thirty ft. Then she got on the 149 and schooled me on how to pull with a Hydro and pulled to seventy five ft.

Charlie I don't have any of the wife at that pull, but I do have this if it helps clarify anything
292991.jpg

Our first pull is June 13th. Be there or be square...

I'll post photos after the event...

Would like to put a shaft drive motorcycle engine in a cub. How are they conecting the shaft to the cub clutch.

typically when the put bike motors in Cubs they use the clutch on the bike motor. they use a live rear axle and run a chain back from the bike trans output sprocket to a sprocket on the rear axle. that's the most common way. if you want to keep the cub tranny then you have to come up with a driveshaft that hooks to the bike trans output. alignment is critical when coupling the engine to the cub tranny unless you build something with u joints. the first method I mentioned is common because its easy and cheap but
I'm not a fan of locked rearends either

Back