• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 29, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcompton

displayname
Wyatt Compton
Transaxle housing is cleaned up & ready for reassembly, AFTER I pay for new gaskets, bearings, and a 16-18 gearset. Engine steamers do a very nice job on this stuff.
18282.jpg

Talked to my paint guy yesterday, checked out some stuff he did with IH IronGuard & hardener, then with a clearcoat. Hard to tell it from an automotive finish, and there's no doubting that I'll have the paint mix 100% right.

Wyatt,
I'm sure he knows but make sure he sprays fast cause after about 15 minutes, IronGuard with hardner in it, DOES JUST THAT! I learned the hard way and it took me 3 hours to clean my gun!!!!!!!!

Now you show me a man that takes 3 hours to clean his gun and I'll show ya one happy spouse !

Well got the computer all hooked up and running.
If anyone is in the northern Illinois are on Sunday Buck Brothers is having their spring Turf equipment auction. It's located on the corner or Rts. 72 & 47 in Hampshire, Illinois. Last year some of the GC type reel mower with the Kubota engines in 'em were going REAL cheap. I'v got inportant stuff going on Sunday, a First Communion party for one of the nephews. <font size="-2">YA-HOO 8-(</font> Can't you tell I'm happy.

Dave, I had a sailboat with a Volvo penta diesel in it. It nearly shook my 15,000 pound sailboat apart. Those things V-I-B-R-A-T-E!

Charlie-
Dunno about his cleanup, but he does 20+ Farmalls a year, plus Scouts, plus implements, plus some green stuff. As he said, and it's true:
when you paint it like that it'll sparkle like a silver nickel in a goat's ass

Never heard that one, but sounds like a winner to me!

Since I had to work the past 3 saturdays, I had my own little plow day last night. My brother-in-law wanted me to plow the garden that his landlord and he shares. It was about 35 X 100. It hardly made the 1650 work. I got all done and his landlord asks if I will plow his grandsons garden next door. It was only about 10 X 20, I could hardly get going and I was to the end. Then he says could you make a few more passes and make it wider. The first 2 passes in the sod didn't go to bad but the 3rd pass must have been older sod and a little more moisture. It felt like someone put an anchor on behind. I was running the hydro lever in the same place but the speed was way slower and the engine was really working. I may have to recheck the hydro pressures and make sure the charge pump is putting out the correct pressure. I don't think the speed should have dropped that much without really lugging the engine down. Or am I wrong in thinking this?

Wes-
Once my 169's warmed up I just about have to plow "full hydro" to keep it going with some authority. It might be a weak trunion spring, dunno. When it's cold it really works the engine.

You have got a little time with Iron Guard and hardener, the biggest thing is to clean the gun with laquer thinner (not paint or enamel thinner, laquer thinner) after each use and not to let it sit with paint in it for more than 20 min. or so. In my experience, painting with Iron Guard, acrylic enamel reducer (right speed for temp.) and hardener, you will get to the point where the paint is tacked up and ready for a recoat in about 15-20 min. Recoating within this time frame seems to give the best results, waiting too much longer (as in hours) will sometimes lead to crazy orange peel etc. because you catch the paint in a bad part of it's drying cycle.

I'll agree with Wyatt's paint guy....Iron Guard will SHINE if applied correctly with the right mix of additives.

Wyatt -- that casting looks good'n smooth. I hope the iron I just cast comes out that smooth , I'd be very happy !! Plus I like the color just like it is as I've got this thing fer grey paint !

Tom -- glad ta have ya back ! Now get in the GG and do some work !!!

JL -- when ya start casting iron ... take some advice "BE COOL !" ... @ 9 - 11 pm it's still to hot to be around a blast furnace !!!!!

Wes,

Hot HyTran will "bypass" on every little internal wear surface much easier than cold oil. At a PD you can really tell a difference after the first 3-4 rounds.......usually when she starts to feel "a little weak" it's time to pull up to the headland and BS for a while......a cool hydro is a happy one!!!!

BTW, hydros will get too hot to touch (for any length of time) if pulled hard for an extended time.

Hey Johnny! Yep- some of these sail oil-burners do shake- especially the singles. Even the twins and some of the Yanmar triples jump and boogie 'till they get up off idle.

I expect this motor will make the tires dance if I try to idle it down in a 'slow race', but I don't plan on using it for anything other'n engaging earth and draggin' big things. Mebbie I'll put a dozer blade on it, but the first order of business will be to get the tach needle up above 1800. Vroom!

Steve B,
15 minutes on a warm day and the bottom of my gun with 3/4" of paint left in it looked like Tofue, LOL
I've since learned to remove the air and squeeze the trigger to let the paint drain back too, grin

Wyatt C >
Have you found a small plow yet for your project?
I did not see you at WFM's spring break, but I did pick up a 6 1/2 inch Brinly plow there. To small for anything I have going. I could paint it green and mount it on a post as a yard decoration if nothing else.
I'd post a pic of it here but work computers do not interface with the web sites photo posting process.

Ryan- ya forgot to mention when ya ran out of gas for the 140 and I gave ya a ride back in from the back side of the field so that we could get some gas for that Deere John you where using.

Wyatt & Steve,
Thanks for bringing up a memory. I had the same thing happen at the WFM plow day last year. I had just bought it the fall before. I had drained the Hy-tran and the case was filthy. I tried to get as much out as I could. It was ok for the winter but would act like it did not want to move very well at the plow day. Last summer I put a new filter on and it ran great at Travis's last fall. I may still be sucking up some of the gunk that I could not get out of the case. I will change the filter and maybe the Hy-tran and see if it helps. I need this in top shape for this falls plow day. I would hate to have my 149 show it up pulling a plow.

Well my casting came out pretty good. My first successful castiron pour using propane. The other attempts didn't have enough scrap in the crucible but as you can see I had plenty this time !
Mine is the one on the left in both pics.
18286.jpg
18287.jpg

I have no idea what it is as it came from a NY furniture restoration shop. One more piece to make of aluminum and the job is finished.

Hey Digger - he's sending another brass handle ! My hobby is getting to close to being work !

Mister Bryan
happy.gif
-- I might can ... think I might have figured a way to put that "cut" in there.

Hey Everybody!

Got a running 127 more-less done for my dad. Started out with a sad-sack machine that was sitting in a junk-pile behind a shop somewhere... pretty rusty, tires flat, but complete. This is the one that I managed to get the engine going with about a half-hour's TLC. The tank has been rinsed and nut-tumbled out, stripped, primed, and painted. Sediment bowl has new gasket, and carb got a total rebuilding, new float 'n valve, etc.

That particular tractor had other problems- wiring harness was crusty-rotten, and the S/R ratio shaft was seized up really tight... and the shaft twisted-off when I tried to loosen up the friction adjustment.

So I brought home the rolling chassis that Tom Harrison brought to Prophetstown. I moved the running motor over to the rolling chassis, replaced the driveshaft (it'd been sawed-off, darnit!) and replaced a broken-out frame bushing in the aft end of the axle-pin. Did some tightening-up work on the steering linkages, spot-welded a cracked hood brace, and attended to a half-dozen other misc. doo-dads, then stole a battery from an old Snapper Comet, and fired it up for a test forward-and-back in the shop. Runs nice, hydro's seemin' okay. Couldn't take it for a spin... first of all, it's 1AM, the muffler's missing some baffling (probably all, actually), and there's this extra-long wide-frame sitting in the way with a big 'ol diesel blocking my path... and the wife's car on the other side of the door.

Tomorrow, after she's gone, I'll roll the diesel-beast out of the way, and take the 127 out for a quick blast up to Dad's house, and see if he and Mom wanna take it for a test-drive. Needs a different seat, and a few other little things, but all in all, it's a fine machine!

Back