• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 27, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not able to find the pics right now, but I believe that John Boelens just posted some pics of Iron Gard Federal Yellow he just sprayed.....

I have used Ironguard, it works well. I always use the same brand of reducer and hardener.

I think IH used PPG as a paint supplier. Case IH paint not sure?

Jim - I was responsible for paint at FARMALL. 2150 red came from MOLINE PAINT MANUFACTURING, also 483 Federal yellow. We didn't use much semi- gloss black until the 88-series 2+2 started being built, and when the rest of the 88-series started we used lots and lots of semi-gloss black, and MPM supplied that too. MPM also supplied the 935 white for sheet metal. Most paint came in 325 gallon totes, or 55 gal. Drums, and some low usage paint came in 5 gallon pails. Spring of '81 before the 5x88 & 3088/3288/3488/3688 started IH started using the new E-coat paint system on the sheet metal of all the tractors. Paint for that came in 8000 gallon tank truck loads from Sherwin-Williams in Chicago. We also used some paint from Valspar that had a plant in the Quad-Cities, but I'd release a half a semi load of paint a week from MPM and maybe a couple pallets of 5's or drums once a month from Valspar.

NOTICE - NOT ONCE DID I MENTION PPG. they supplied no paint to IH.

From what I understood from the MPM sales person that came in every week, all the other IH plants used MPM for paint plus suppliers that pre-painted their parts for IH. They shipped the same paint we used all over the country.

I am fairly certain the current supplier of IronGuard is Velspar.

What Steve said,
296207.jpg

296208.jpg

Jack M - I've used a lot of the IronGuard in rattle cans and its good stuff. It covers well if you've got a good base and cover. If you're primer is dark you'll have to use at least a couple coats. I like to prime and cover with an inexpensive flat white and then spray my top coat using either the IronGuard white or yellow for IH Cub Cadets. I don't use enough to go direct to manufacturer like Dennis was describing. My most recent supplier has been Cub Cadet Specialties shown in the colorful boxes at the top of the page. They always have it in stock. If you send e-mail inquiry just start by saying "Hey Charlie... And you'll get lightening fast service.

Harry ,more tiller bad news ,i had to replace the small chain and buy another small gear ,got that gear welded it on the shaft ,so more work to do before assy

Marlin H and Dave C - I was just thinking about the discussion of the steel thickness of the Cub Cadet frames and what gauge steel it might be. Dave had measured the steel on the frame of what I believe is a Model 124. I think the steel thickness may have been increased on the wide frame tractors since I recall seeing the rolled edges of it towards the front of the frame where the frame was widened or Y'd to allow for the higher up engines. I guess we need someone to measure the frame thickness of a wide frame frame. I don't have a real accurate calipers that I trust. Also the .125 measurement converts to between 10-11 gauge steel.

David C:
worthless.gif

Hope ya took some, I don't remember anyone mentioning doing it in the past...

Back