• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 26, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
320266.gif

My oil leak is coming from the back of the motor would that maybe be the crank seal? I don't know where else it could be coming from, but it's dripping pretty good while it's running. Is that something I can replace without pulling the motor out and tearing it down?
Thanks -Pat

Patrick,

Did you check the breather cover and what is inside????

The breather cover is to the left just behind the carb.
If the weep hole is stopped up inside the cover, it will leak!!!

If you are 100% sure it is not coming from the breather cover, then check elsewhere.

The cam cover with dipstick hole could also be cracked or broke.

ALWAYS check the easiest to fix places first, then check the hard to fix places last.

If in deed it is the crankshaft seal on eiter end, you would not have to tear the motor down, just remove the old seal and put a new one in.

When trying to determine where the leak is, clean the suspected area real good. Then run the motor a little and see if it is coming out of the area again.

Hope this will help.

Is not coming from the breather. It's coming from the back of the motor. I can't really see because of the cover on the motor. Looks like where the crank seal would be. I'm not sure since I have never had it apart before. I will have to take the clutch off and the motor cover off to get a good look. I don't have time today. Just wondering what I will be into.I hope it's not too much work. I need it to cut my grass.

Patrick, how fast does it leak? If it doesn't leak too fast you could probably mow with it just watch it and check the oil level every 5 to 10 minutes. Most likely it's the seal there isn't much else back there to leak. There is a gasket behind the bearing plate that could also leak in a way that looks similar.

Patrick your on the right track. Pull the covers off, and really clean it up. I'd use a spray can of brake cleaner when you get the covers off, spray it down really well and clean, let it dry for a ew minutes and run it, after putting covers back on. Then shut it down and verify it's actually coming out of the seal.

To be clear, it's coming from the flywheel side of the engine? I'm going with

grill =frontside

And

Seat =backside

Patrick-

It is probably the flywheel end crank seal. The only other thing in that general area is the gasket between the block and bearing plate, and that would be an odd thing to start leaking.

I would not wait too long to fix this; otherwise, there will be oil blown all over the cooling fins, which will collect dirt and eventually cause the engine to overheat. You'll need to pull the engine and remove the flywheel shroud and flywheel. It's not that big of a job.

We immigrate from South Africa to Western Australia 8 years ago, end of last year I shipped my cub to Australia. Cost me an arm and a leg. The creeper drive never worked, so I took it apart and find that the big gear in the casing has been striped. The selector plate has been removed and the shifting gear were turned around to prevent the creeper to go out of gear. Do I need to find another casing or can the gear be replaced. Are the parts still available to repair the creeper.

Gerrie S.
How the heck did ya strip that! LOL
It's part of the casting, so your stuck with finding another one, sorry to say.
All parts for creepers are still available.
320273.jpg

Gerrie, nice 100.
Shultzie, don't know, never had one. Quiet lines had twin sticks, 82 series had??? I don't remember what my friends 1812 had

Another problem that I have is that the clutch or something is very noisy when the tractor is stationary. (Motor is running, out of gear. No difference in noise if the brake is on or off.) Sorry for all the questions but I don't know how to fix it. (Still lots of questions to follow)
Cheers, Gerrie.

Gerrie, CC specialties, little box you click on up top. It might be the throw out bearing and/or clutch arm.

Okay I have the fly wheel off of my 126 to replace the crank seal. It looks to me like I have to pull the bearing plate off and pull the seal out from the other side. Is that correct? I'm really not sure if the leak is coming from the seal or the plate gasket so probably good to change that gasket anyway. Looks like I should use a puller? Just not certain since I have never done this before.

Patrick,

The seal comes out from the outside.
A seal puller would be real handy to remove it, although it could be done with a screwdriver and a lot of patience.

I would not try to take the plate off unless I absolutely had to, since it has the main bearing in it.
There are spacing issues also with the gasket/s.
Try the seal first.
thumbsup.gif

Charlie,

You say all parts are still available for the creeper? Are you holding out on us?
err.gif

Do you have some input shafts?

Back