• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 25, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jerry H., I would use a dry graphite spray lube. I believe PB Blaster makes some. I've used a product that was made for snowmobile clutches, I think it was made by Comet, or it could have been a Yamaha product. Or I suppose you could just coat the parts with Slip-Plate or some other graphite paint.

KRAIG - I forgot You had THOSE pictures! The deck housing used to extend about an inch beyond the blades on that end of the deck. So now I can trim closer, the left side blade comes within 1/8" of that left hand curved end plate. If You look close behind the gauge wheel and right next to where the front face of the deck and the center cast section meet You can see little mounting tabs for the 1" wide lip that sits directly behind that front face....creates a little tunnel in the unmown grass for the clippings to escape through.

Nice thing about those old mower decks is they were made with such HEAVY Gauge steel I was able to make those mods with a saber saw and an arc welder. I also leveled the areas where the spindles bolted to the deck like Steve B's write-up in the FAQ's. I also welded the baffles all around the blades on the underside of the deck. And the baffles I made are bigger & heavier than the stock baffles. If I remember right Mine are 11 gauge (.1196" thk) x 2" tall. The tips of the blades are right at the lower edge of the baffle in operation.

It's still not as good at moving cut grass as a 44 or 50 inch deck but it's REAL close!

Still trying to get my Original in the barn. Here is a photo of the transaxle, top fork is broken on the back side. My problem is the tractor won't move. It is not in gear, but it is not in neutral either. Any ideas? I can push it in if I can get it in neutral. My wife doesn't like it's current position smack dab in front of the house. Women!

55885.jpg

Todd W: The top one may not be in gear but the bottom is....:)-}>...They should both be centered (front to rear) for the transmission to be in neutral...

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Ken,
I have tried, I can't seem to get it to budge. Which one should move where? Neither one wants to move.

Make sure you don't see any broke pieces in the gears. Rock it back and forth a little as there may be pressure against the gears from the tires ... or jack it off the ground and like Myron said try to center the gears up.

...So the top one needs to move backwards towards the bottom one to get it in neutral? Better go find the crow bar.

AS sad as it sounds, I guess I'll have to go to the neighbor's, borrow his John Deere, and drag it back to the woods.

Latest posts

Back