• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 23, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmoredick

displayname
matt moredick
Harry, the pulley on the output is the same part number as the input on the thrower gear box. So I should be good there. The qa42 has a pulley with a longer hub if I need to space it ouT..
Your kind of at the same thought I am, change pulleys to match what ever the out put is supposed to be. I just hope I don't loose torque. But maybe I'm over thinking it.

Al M - I even wonder if Kohler made an 8hp in 1963. It became a replacement when they stopped the 7hp but I believe that was quite some time after 1963.

Jeff B - shall I send a truck load of those bags? I really wanted you to tell me what was wrong with that 169 that you won't even let it in your pasture.

Sorry Jeff.........
whistling.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif

Mat M - ok, just confirmed what you said about the part number being the same for the thrower input pulley and the tiller output pulley. The keyway on the thrower output shaft starts to end when you get close to the bearing so I think you'll be ok that way. I don't know if there is an issue with clearance around the frame used for mounting the tiller gear box. You'll have to look for at that. If this all works then you are left with the question of gear ratio difference and effect on tiller speed, and the diameter of the pulley on the input shaft, and length of that special big hub it has. I assume the hub gives it added strength because of that long belt it's connected to and because it runs close to the ground below the level of the bottom of the rearend housing. I hope to have the pulley diameter and length of hub tomorrow, or maybe someone will post it by then.

Looks like Charlie only has that pulley for a 5/8" belt when used with 82 series and on up but at least you can see a pic of what it looks like - appears really strong style. <strike><font color="ff0000">Charlie does sell the 20 tooth gear which you could use to replace your 15 tooth, and then you wouldn't have the question on the gear ratio and what it does to the tiller speed.</font></strike>

Harry B. I get up early for work. It takes a little longer for this old engine and frame to "warm up".

Jeff B. You wouldn't be mad if Josh S. rescued that 169 by Galena, would you?

Gotta work this weekend. I'll be removing the snowthrower from the 125 and putting the deck on it after work. The rain sure made the grass grow.

Everyone... BE SAFE and have a wonderful day... Off to work.
296128.gif

Harry-

I don't think you can just replace the 15-tooth gear with a 20-tooth. I bet the cases are different too. All else being constant in the gears, if one has more teeth than the other, it should be bigger than the other.

Disclaimer: I have been awake 10 minutes.

Harry, i found an old post on here about a 2B tiller lower pulley. I'm not sure what the differences are between my 2 and the 2B series. The pulley part number is different.
https://www.ihcubcadet.com/forum/messages/106/76116.html?1201222552
Hub inside diameter is .75" with 3/16 key slot and 2" height. Pulley outside diameter is 5" for 5/8" wide belt. IH part number is 135-554-C1.
I'm leaning towards using the hub and OD for my belt. The belts are different and the one i see for my machine shows to be 13/32 not 5/8 but that can be changed.

Matt G - well, you caught me again. The cases have the same part number but the 30 tooth gears have different part numbers. I guess if you want to swap the 15 tooth thrower gear with the 20 tooth tiller gear, you also have to swap the 30 tooth thrower gear for a 30 tooth tiller gear. The part numbers for the 30 tooth gears are different so I guess the gears are somehow differnt and fit the same box.

Matt M - my earlier post was wrong about swapping the 15 and 20 tooth gears. Can't just do that. So the question becomes what size pulley to use on the input side, and if there is a belt length issue. I can't do the calculation but since the pulley used for the 5/8" belt version has a 5" OD I'd guess a 4" OD should get you close to a similar total output speed. Don't know what effect it would have on belt length tho - and that belt is so long that when you use a smaller pulley it would probably need alot more tension to stay on.

Kraig - Oh Great One Keeper of the Photos - can you put a BIG RED LINE thru my earlier post on swapping the 15 and 20 tooth gears. If not can you at least put a BIG RED STAMP on it that says WRONG!!!! (Courtesy of Matt G).

Marlin H - can't quite understand that. Seems to me if you get up at 4AM or 9AM black coffee would still require the same amount of time to warm your engine and frame up.
biggrin.gif

Marlin,
The 169 isn't heading my way. Not interested. And Jeff knows I wouldn't sneak in on it if I knew he was interested. Used to have two of them and they both moved down the road to other collectors. Apologized to Jeff for mentioning it on here.
happy.gif
Sounds like is heading to John's.

This just popped up in my area on CL.
Just need to convince the wife it will help with her flower gardening.

296133.jpg
296134.jpg

Josh, no Apology needed, we are buddies and like that you thought of me.

Matt M - just got confirmation the input pulley for the tillers that use the narrower belt also has a 5" OD. The height of the hub is 2 3/4".

Kraig - Oh Great One Keeper of the Photos - is that your RED LINE artistry work that I requested? Thank you if it is and if its not well thank whoever did it (like Charlie)

Jim P, if you need help convincing her have her contact my wife. Last weekend the misses wanted (me)to dig out five huge heather bushes. Took about 15-20 minutes including hauling them one at a time to the rear of our property, about 600ft to the brush pile using the 106/loader. Two weekends before that,I unloaded three yards of topsoil off the trailer for the "new" back yard she wanted.
Then she used it to roll the horse field with the big 5ft wide roller to smooth things out after this winters mud firmed up enough.

296137.jpg

Just look at the smile on her face, you too could make your wife this happy!

Hydro, it was me. Don't know that I would use the term artistry however. It's not like I did this:

296139.gif

It was more like this:

296140.gif

roflol.gif

Jim P.

Those KW loaders are really nice units!!! BUY BUY BUY!!!!

I love the "Tiger Jaw" sickle guards as bucket teeth!!!!!

Hi all. I just finsished puttting my K301 back together after a .010 rebuild and I'm having trouble with the initial timing setup. I see only one mark on the flywheel so I set the points to open just before that mark comes up. But it's not correct. What am I doing wrong?

thanks Harry, I really appreciate all the leg work.
I'm going to visit my nearest TSC and McMaster CArr this weekend and shop pulleys.
I talked to the prior owners grand daughter and she seemed to think they may have stuffed the parts i need in boxes in her garage. But they will not dig them out until June. So....

Don't know if any one answered the 8hp koler question yet. It is my thought that it was introduced in 1984 or 85. Them red walk behind tillers made in Troy N.Y. made a big deal about the 8hp magnum a year after I bought my 7hp Horse.

Michael H - if you're talking about my post where I mentioned I didn't know when the 8hp was introduced I was referring to the non-Magnum 8hp. Someone had asked about a possible special Original series of 9 tractors that went to California with special paint and 8hp engines. My thought was Kohler didn't even have an 8hp when the Original was in production. It didn't come till later.

Matt M - thank you too but I got the tiller pulley details from Dave Calkins who is also a member on here. Thanks go to Dave also for his help.

Don T - well no one jumped in about setting your points and only 1 mark on the flywheel. I think you should remove your shroud again and look more closely. There has to be 2 marks. One is either S or SP for Spark, and the other is T for TDC. I suppose you could measure and determine where 20degrees is before the mark you can see and set your points to open there but I would still question accuracy. Hope you can find the other mark and re-set, and also solves your problem.

Kraig - Oh Great One Keeper of the Photos - what color is that RED?

Back