• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 21, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Judging by what Charlie has available, I believe I over paid when I had mine rebuilt. He sells em new for less, oh well live and learn. Did have a nice weekend here, but I decided it was better to catch the flu and stay inside all weekend. Forecast is looking up at least!

Mark, there are two in Syracuse NY-
Ramsing electric and Ted's Auto Electric- top notch

TUNE UP QUESTION
In the old days when fall arrived it was points, plugs and condenser in the car so it started when the cold weather came. The CC's are not used like cars so I was wondering how often should the points and condenser be changed. Depending on the winter I probably put on about 100 hours a year.
Thanks for any comments
Earl L

Earl, I would only change them if they fail.
dunno.gif

Had something unfortunate happen over the weekend to the manual front PTO clutch on the 147 which has just been rebuilt. It is the early style PTO with the single triangle spring that has each end tip bent ~90 degrees. Installed a new PTO kit. Followed all the PTO and Service Manual instructions. Set the spring tension using the gage supplied with the kit. Adjusted the turnbuckle on PTO actuation rod to obtain required gap between the two buttons in the engaged position. When I carefully moved the PTO lever to disengage the clutch the first time, w/o engine running, it made a noise with the PTO lever about 3/4ths way disengaged. Sounded like something was binding and then snapping in place. I figured maybe it was one of the fingers sliding into place as they are all new too. Inspected everything and didn't see any obvious problems. Engaged and disengaged the clutch several more times and the noise didn't repeat.

Anyway, ran the engine several times w/clutch disengaged to adjust the carb and set low/high speed settings. Then we installed the mower deck. Put the belt on and moved the PTO lever to the disengaged position. This time it made another noise that sounded like something snapped. A little later I noticed a piece of metal on the floor. I recognized it as one of the 90 degree end tips from the triangle spring. Checked the spring and sure enough one was missing. The other two ends are fine. This really is disappointing as the spring is not available separately, it only comes with the kit...$60+ down the drain
bash.gif

Anybody have this happen to them before? Could it be a defective spring? Did I have something adjusted wrong? Is it okay to operate with the one tip missing?

320232.jpg

Ron. Did you mean these springs? They are the only ones I can think of that have a 90 degree bend on'em... if it is what I suspect, then no sweat. Many folks complain they lose them and it just makes more noise is all.

Picture was sourced at Charlies FAQ.

Mike I think Ron maybe referring to the main tension spring at the center of the pto housing,if I remember properly the spring had little 90 degree on my 125 pto when I rebuilt mine

Mike,

Great question. No it wasn't an anti-rattle spring...sure wish it would have been. It's the triangle spring circled in the picture. I borrowed this from Charlie's website. Hope that's okay.
320235.jpg

Ron S.
It's a defective spring. I've had several in the last year break upon installation/adjusting myself.
Cub Cadet won't outright admit it, but they have replaced the ones I called on.

Back