• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 17, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
I had a smile for 5 hrs today pulling a plug aerator with my tractor. I hope everyone had a great day also.

I hope Charlie will post some pictures of that clean scoot !
1AA_dance2.gif

Charlie - thought I was the only one that noticed Santa and crew in Dons yard. What's up with that?? No doubt lights are still strung on house.

Brian W - your question asked about the length of the carriage bolts for wheel weights but then you mentioned you thought they were 1/2", which is of course the bolt diameter. I see Don mentioned he likes using a threaded rod bolted to the wheel, which must allow him to add or remove extra weights (but must give him a Ben Hur style bolt). The correct length varies depending on the width of the wheel you're using. The parts manual specifies 3 different lengths, 6", 7" and 7 and 1/2" depending on the wheel (don't know where you can get a 7 and 1/2" carriage bolt), but it's also not consistent from one model to another (which doesn't make sense if the wheel width is the same). I can only suggest you hold a weight on your wheel and slip something thru to determine "exactly" what length is correct for you. I hate to see the Ben Hur charriott style bolts used that stick out about 4" to far and are just waiting to skin up someone's knee cap or shin.

Bill J - I sure hope you're keeping a record of those quick questions. I don't know the actual draw of the electric PTO on a QL, but the fuse is a 10AMP slow blo, if that helps (it's listed in the Operator Manual). I've had some problems with those fuses blowing especially when you're in a hurry and don't use a slow blo replacement, so it must get pretty close to 10AMPs, initially at least. The manual calls out the same fuse for the lights but I don't think they have near the draw, and don't really need the slow blo, so when I've been in the pinch/hurry I've switched the 10AMP slow blo from the lights to the PTO and just put in a standard 10AMP for the lights, without having a problem.
Sorry I just couldn't bring myself to giving you a quick answer.

Terry- that picture of my 129 loader was taken before xmas last fall .There is no way the wife or myself would allow lights up on the house after xmas.We take pride in our property and so does everyone on this short road. The junk yard is up the road some.

Harry -
facepalm.gif
I use some plastic wheels weights here and found them hard to mount . because the carriage bolt would fall out of the rim when pushing the bolt through the weight.So i used threaded rod with nuts and washers and add my IH wheel weights using Short carriage bolts . I use my angle grinder to remove any not needed bolt that protrudes from the nylox nuts. My diesel has plastic 75 lb weights . I have 10 sets of IH wheel weights and use carriage bolts in two holes to extend them when I need to run more than one set at a time .

Donald - just from the pics I've seen you've got a great place! Wish I had your shop for sure. And, the loader is WAY cool. I'm jealous! Too rich for my blood but nice to think about. Glad you're enjoying the weather up your way.

Terry Davis

it is not hard to tell where all my $$ go. i spend it on tractors and my place (home).To keep this on topic see the Cub in these pictures. I can get the fklower pictures down to where they can be posted. I might have to send them to kraig .

257340.jpg

257341.jpg

When this opens it will be nice to look at!

257342.jpg

Don, I see a Cub in the top photo. What variety of Rhododendron is that in the bottom photo? Send your photos on over I'll re-size them and/or post them for you.

Thank You Ryan and Harry. That answers my question.

Things could get rather interesting around here.

Thanks Kraig , I will send you some pictures when these bloom.This should be a good year for blooms because the Rhododendron have so many buds to open. I hope we don`t get a late frost that will kill them off . They are hansom when they all bloom.I ask what kind they are and was told they are just a 18 year old Rhododendron that she planted and it appears they like where they are. She did plant another one on side of the house that is five years old and it is doing good I think.

257347.jpg

and a Cub Cadet lol ( for Charlie)

257348.jpg

A crab apple that is old but has stunning blooms.

257349.jpg

And where I spend the hot days after some seat time on my tractors with a cold beverage lol.

Got to the bottom of my fuel problem. I did not have the float seat tight enough in the carb body. It's a real tight fit for a 3/8" x 1/4" drive socket in there and It would bind on the float arm pivot towers which led me to think it was tight!

No biggie but I had to reuse the original square gasket ring because the new one that came in the kit swelled up and I could not get it back in the groove!

Dave S.

Don T - you know, installing 26# IH wheel weights is really easy. The others, heavier ones, etc usually require something a little different, especially if there is no hole in the center to hold them. On your loader it looks like you have a black plastic weight (no center hole) in the first position, and an IH weight in the 2nd position. If you don't have a center hole you have to install the weight with the wheel already mounted on the tractor. But you talked about using a threaded rod for your weights, and a carriage bolt for the IH weights. How do you actually mount the IH weight? I can only assume you use a carriage bolt about 12", run thru the wheel, thru the black weight, thru the IH weight, and install the nut. You must jack the tractor up so you can rotate the wheel to do this. Fill us in on your details.

Brian W - glad I could help. You mentioned sand bag duty which sounds like the ole Red River is rising again. How would you be using the 1250?

Dave S - glad you discovered it was the seat lose. You're sure right about the base area around where the seat screws in. I've only got one 1/4" drive socket that fits that spot, and some of the carb castings even that one is tight. You also have to be careful that it doesn't slip off when you torque it, and knock off one of the tabs for the float mount rod (been there and converted that carb to a baseball)

Dave, I know what you mean about the lack of space in the carb for the float seat. I have 1 socket that I have and use for this - its a cheap brand, probably made cheaper than Don's ramps... But it sure works when I need it!

It's been discussed here before about taking a deep well 3/8" socket and grinding the inch or so down so it will fit around the needle valve seat. I've got one that is dedicated for this and stays with my carb stuff. I would take a pic of it but a buddy has it right now doing a carb rebuild.

David S.-

When the gasket swells like that sometimes you can set it in the sun for a while and it will return to its original size by shrinking a bit. A hair dryer would probably work as well.

Don-

I really like the piles of yard debris you have there by or close to the pool. And that cub up in the woods...that isn't where it sleeps is it??? You have a nice looking place. I hope to get there someday and see it in person. Time will tell.

Guys I have a socket here that I ground down with my grinder that will not bind up when installing or removing the carb float seats. It is easy to find in my tool drawer with all the other Crapsmans sockets. It just had to be done!The correct tool lol for the job.

Harry - Yes through the plastic weights and then a washer and nylox nut then slid on the IH weights with just two rods. Then if I want to add more IH weights I can use a carriage bolt in the other two holes and add more weight if needed. I have found whe you start working a sweet working 12 or above Cub.. You can `t have to much weight !

Hey, wait a minute Don.

Kraig, Oh Great One Keeper of the Photos - have you got that pic of a 6' tall stack of IH wheel weights???

You guys are killing me with the loader pictures!

I have a really bad back and shoulder, maybe the Doc could write me a prescription for a front end loader?

Randy
beerchug.gif

Hydro,

257359.jpg

Also these from Tim Delooza.

257360.jpg

257361.jpg

257362.jpg

Under edit: Tim actually drove it out the shop door around in a circle then back in the shop. Then removed the weights because the rims were starting to bend!
icon_eek.gif
In case you're curious, according to Tim there were a total of 17 weights per side, note two weights were on the inboard side of each rear wheel.

Randy: Even if Doc wouldn't, if you find one you'll bless your lucky day. There's a learning (or realization) curve, like with any new tool. The hydraulic aspect of it becomes more of a blessing the older you get and the more often you want to do something and there's no one else around to help. They can make more work for you because of the fact that you'll be looking for ways to use it.
With that said, there's a 169 in Ohio with a loader on it. It's on ebay. So far away!
bash.gif
happy.gif

Back