• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 13, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken, I agree with ya, I have made many changes to most of my cubs to save money, and some of them I feel are improvements.

Besides I'm sure you know, that here in Kentucky, If you can't fix it with balin' war, and a 10 penny nail, it's time to junk it.

Took the time to fix a NASTY rattle coming from the 169 for ages. Finally got around to getting a HeliCoil (courtesy of a "sample" from a supplier) and made a new front plate for the headlight panel. Technically the 169 is more "correct" now since it didn't come with headlights in the first place.

The old plate was cracked beyond use, and all but one of the fasteners in the nose casting was stripped out.
17774.jpg

17775.jpg

You can tell it's tax day tomorrow, everyone knows their gross adjusted income just a little too well...

Um, thanks for sharing...
wink.gif

Not tax day for me. I filled mine out in Feb. and used up what little I got back to fix / fill my driveway.
I have been makeing the same amount for the past 6 years and probly for the next 6 years.

Ken, Kraig, and Wyatt,
Thanks for the suggestions. I thought they were all good. I liked seeing the different approaches to fixing the same problem. That's one of the things I really enjoy about this forum.
I stopped by the hardware store today and picked up two jam nuts. I not sure I would have attempted to pull the crossmember together with a jam nut, but I would think that since it's already together, they would hold it and keep it from spreading again. If I get a chance to mess with it tomorrow, I'll try them and keep an eye on it to see what happens.

Questions for those who know.

Do I really need the anti rattle spring clips installed in the front PTO pully on my 123?

Will it wear out the tabs if I dont install the anti rattle clips?

I'll throw in my $0.00...

Regardless of what I make, my WIFE won't let me part with even $0.05 on a $5.00 repair, hence my enthusiasm to make whatever parts I can, or trade what I got, for what I need.

Hey Larry- Y'ever try welding with a 10-penny nail or some baling whar? I did once... didn't work so well, but if I remember correctly, the whar coathanger did a bit better, probably 'cause the paint mimic'd flux... burning paint fumes displaced enough air to keep the arc. Fortunately, It was strictly an experiment. I've been lucky to be able to get my hands on decent welding rod for reasonable prices.

There's some things I don't cut corners on, simply cause 'resistance is futile'... there are times when the added expense is the wisest move, and there are times when cutting corners don't do no harm.

And then there's times when surplus doo-dads, combined with some really ingenious handiwork, results in a fantastic result. Someday, if I'm ever met that scenario, I'll let 'y'all know.

I agree with Dave K. Sometimes you can make do with what you have, and other times, this will only cost more. Just my .02
I have a "generic" Brinly style hitch and a plow that I can not find any #'s on. The hitch has a plate on it with these #'s. GIL-33096A, 63520. I asume it was made by Gilson? I am wondering if I should alter it for my 129, or if it would be better to get a Brinly style one. Any input would be appriciated. I will try to snap a few pictures Friday. Thanks

(Message edited by dharkleroad on April 14, 2004)

I had the day off so I thought I would get a little seat time. I got out the 106 and aerated and thatched the lawn.
17779.jpg

They are both homemade. It helped to work in a sheet metal shop with a laser cutter. I have about $20 for the bearings and flanges in the aerator and about $30 in rake teeth for the thatcher.

Hey All! Pushed Loader-Mutt up onto the car hauler today... tight squeeze putting LM side-by-side with the 109... LM's pretty wide with the 12-12's and 5-bolt super-stout knuckles... it'll be REALLY wide when I make those killer 24 x 15" steel wheels... of course, it'll be really heavy with the concrete inserts, too, so I'll hafta center it on the axles and chain it down good.

But it'll be there for Show-And-Tell for Prophetstown AND WFM... the pump-drive is there, the knuckles are there, the hydraulic steering column is there, the U-joint driveline is there, and the treadle FNR control is there, out in the open for all to see.

Looks like I'll be making a trip from Prophetstown up to Sharon, WI to pick up a pair of 100's to schlep to WFM.

Lonny,

The anti rattle clips are not necisary, they just keep the clutch from rattlling, wich sometimes sounds like a engine knock.

My dad bought a 1x7 in supposedly rusty-and-rotten-tired, but runnable condition. At first, he wasn't really all that interested in it, called me to ask me wether it had any parts-value to me (mine are all WF's). He figured I'd go get it, and either clean it up, or part it out, but the tide has started to change.

{Dad's always been 'interested' in old outboard motors and little homemade hydroplanes... he built (and crashed) quite a few out of the PM magazines of the '40's and '50's. }

Never a proponent of ride-on mowing equipment, he had two back-to-back occasions at his previous (pronounced "hilly") residence to reinforce his dislike.

In the course of recent history, Dad and Mom retired, radically renovated their summer home (just up the street from me) and moved out here permanently. The yard is not nearly as aggressive, Dad decided to buy himself a tractor... a brand-spankin' new 'green' tractor.

Not long after, Dad bought a Gravely 1136 from a neighbor's estate. It's a cheezy tin thing with 11hp Briggs and a Peerless rearend. It's a cantankerous machine, and best fits operators with 16" long arms and a 45" inseam. It weighs in at a whopping 170lbs (full of gas), and can pull just about anything, as long as it's under 60lbs, on wheels, and on a paved, level surface. Why it was fitted with a blade and a 'creeper' is beyond us. The little Grave-ly is Mom's personal pet, usually pulling a yard-cart full of flowers around.

But one of Dad's other hobbies is to buy, rehab, and sell old houses... about one every three years or so. He bought one recently, and decided it was too much of a PITA to trailer his green tractor up there each time the yard needed mowing, so he bought a used Snapper lawn-tractor at an estate sale. A good mowin' machine, but like the green tractor, and the orange tractor, just ain't heavy enough to PULL anything... it's just a mower.

Well, Dad drove my 109 the day I dragged it out of the neighbor's barn and gave it a whack with my moto-defibrillator. He wasn't impressed by much of it, except for it's extreme road-ratio. Later, after I got some of the bugs worked out of it, the smoke under control, and the steering, brakes, etc., all in a better state-of-tune, he started to respect it. Actually, it was after he saw me chew down a big pile of gravel with the blade, peel up asphalt, and push snow... and the time I chained on an 800lb bridge timber and dragged it several hundred yards across a field...

Today, he helped me push Loader-Mutt up onto the trailer. I had him drive the 109, while I guided LM (hydraulic steering ain't done yet). This time, he was outwardly impressed (and he doesn't do that too often) about how dexterously-strong the 109 was about pushin' LM up them ramps.

Then, he asked me about the 1x7's. I didn't know alot, mind you (haven't ever had one within touchin' range, but I've read up on 'em)... and now he's thinkin' that the Grave-ly will end up with a Best-Offer sign on it, and Mom might be drivin' a yeller-tractor here really soon... that is... if Dad lets her have it. I know one thing... after WFM, I'll likely be too busy resurrecting HIS 1x7 to get much done on Loader-Mutt!

Lonny,

Like CCC said, not absolutely necessary, but they come with the rebuild kit and are easy to install......I always put them in because I don't like my tractors to even sound like they knock.

I'd install them, just be a little patient and they go right on.

To All:
I am still here.
The 1200 Rebuild is going very s-l-o-w-l-y.
KENtucky glad to see you posting again.
Later
{:-{)

I just installed one of David Kirk's ignition modules on my 1450. Others have posted their mounting procedures so I thought I would post mine too.

Installed the module on the left side on the gas tank mount. Drilled and taped two 8/32 screw holes for mounting. With the module mounted here it is easy to reach in and grab the universal on the drive shaft to turn the engine while watching both the Led and timing mark. Also you can set the flywheel to the timeing mark and make fine adjustments on the points while watching the Led. I ran the wires in a flexible tubing to the other side.

17783.jpg

This is the route I ran the wires to the coil side in the flexible tubing, and since this is an early 1450 quietline there is no hole in the heat shield with a rubber gromment like the later ones, so I had to run the wires under the heat shield like all the other wires run. Note the condensor is still mounted but not hooked up.

17784.jpg

My 1450 was running good before so I wasn't expecting some radical change. I installed the module to save on Points, to get rid of the condensor, and really am impressed with the ease of setting the timing. No more feeler gauge guesses.

To install the anti rattle springs I will have to remove the PTO, correct?
I will deffently need to get a puller and will look for 2 set screws if not 3 set screws in each hole. The last PTO I removed had 3 in each hole, I only removed 2, thought I had them all, pounded on pto with BFH until it came off only to find I destroyed the collar and found a 3 set of allen screws.

Forum --
Thanks fer not givin me hell.
Just a lot of things going wrong around here.

Shirtman -- still "no" but thanks again. I've got it covered.

I've got (all day) bad sinus headach so it's a short post but I gotta say this ...

Kraig -- I'd NEVER put / tell / think of / or let any JD product on my place. Only thing we had on the farm that was any good and painted green was the triple 16" turning plows. It sure would lay that sod upside down.

Frank ! Later !

Digger -- I read the post from the bottom up and I knew that was you before I got to the name.

Let me tell you guys about "digger" ... when he breaks wind it sounds like a siren he's so tight with all that money he rakes in.

Bryan -- we E-filed as soon as the ol lady's WD2's came ... long gone !

Larry A -- help me figure out my CNC project !
happy.gif

Yeah I'm using high priced THK Linear bearing rails but they came from a scrap yard with about 4 years of outside weather on them ... talk about having to polish'em up ! Sad thing is there's probably 300 feet of rail that is pitted to bad to even take off. Then there's the big servos that have had the encoder covers bashed in or off !

I'll catch up tomorrow ... I gotta get rid of this headach and build a power supply for a guy ... and do some TIG aluminum.

DAVE - Have Your Dad put the green tractor beside the curb with the "For Sale" sign. They sell real well down in the Q-C's. He'll be able to buy 3-4 more CC's

Latest posts

Back