• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 12, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfrisk

displayname
Dennis Frisk
CHARLIE - a O/T 317 came with a series 1 KT17 from the factory. Think the later one's had series II's. The company made a factory kit to drop an Onan in them once they realized the problems with the KT17's. They would have had B43G's. The P218's & P220's weren't used till later in the O/T 318 & 420's.

I don't recommend hooking two tractors drawbar to drawbar, a pulling sled is a better way to compare pulling power. But with added weight to equal the 317 and proper tires for the surface your pulling on, a 147 could outpull a 317. Lug tires or chains for dirt, turf tires for hard surfaces like blacktop or concrete. Best advice I can give would be to let the 317 pull enough that the drive shaft from the engine to the hydro finally gives up and the 147 can pull it into the shop.

There was a frequent poster here years ago that put a driveshaft similar to what was in a 317 in a hydro Cub Cadet. I just laughed quietly at his efforts. The OEM driveshaft in a 147 isn't fancy but lasts a lot longer than the expensive drive shaft with two u-joints used on the 317.

The problem with the 317 when it comes to pulling is the frt weight bias. The lighter 147 you can add more weight to the rear. If you really want to tip the odds in your & the 147's favor, have your son-in-law add all kinds of weights to the frt of the tractor. ;-)

Hey Dennis - I like what I'm hearing. I picked the 317 up for him last week and could tell quick it was a much heavier unit. It does have the Series II Kohler so he should be good to go. I'll look up the respective weights for comparison. Hate for him to blow a driveshaft but hey - he's the instigator here. Thanks Dennis - hope is still alive!

Terry - Dennis gave some real good advise there, especially the part of your 147 pulling the 317 back to the shop!

Whatever you do - make sure your front is not too light, we definitely don't want to hear about a 147 that flipped over.

If you guys do have a good old tug-a-war, make sure you record it and put it on YouTube so we can see it too! And be careful, like said before, tip overs are very bad!

Hey, I'm having a poor turn out for my sled naming contest, are any of you guys interested in submitting a name? Check out www.pantherpulling.com and vote. I need some non partial voting. Heck I need votes period
happy.gif

Nic - gonna be a while yet. Tractor is primed but no paint but can't wait to get in the dirt with it. Trying to get him to build a simple sled and till us up a track on his place. Would love to build a sorta stock puller just for fun but no experience and limited funds. I could probably come up with a roller to play with and a good used engine to rebuild but nothing real fancy with all the tricks. His day is coming - he just doesn't know it yet. He's a little cocky too which will make it all the sweeter!

Nic: How's the voting going? (I know a few dead Democrats that would like to join in).
happy.gif

Frank,

Voting is going slow... Even though I have the highest web traffic in the history of my site! I even exceeded my monthly bandwidth this month and its only the 15th!

Our first pull is the end of May and I plan on debuting the name at the first pull, so I have some time still.

I actually started working on my personal puller project too. I plan to do a build thread here as I move along. It's an 82 series on an old Super frame. Looks pretty wicked all laid low and stretched out sitting next to my std Super and 782. Funny thing is I plan on using a K181 on e85 with a few other tricks up my sleeve. It's nice to know the work-a-rounds in the rules (especially when you make the rules).

Nic, I slipped over to your site and voted on your sled. You have a nice website.

I wish you had a stock class of some kind, looks like it takes a little more money to pull with you guys.

Seems like you have plenty of pullers though, so must be what everyone wants there.

Randy

Randy, thanks for voting!

Our club mission is exactly opposite of your suspicion. Our rules are set up to allow any one from a stock tractor to highly modified to pull. I have guys with $300 dollar Craigslist tractors pulling within 15' of guys with $3000 in their setup. We really believe in a run-whatcha-brung club. We actually don't allow really high dollar equipment.

You name a tractor under 16 OEM hp and I have a class for it. And it will cost you $5 to hook to the sled. Not a bad deal.

Sorry Nic, must be something not on the site about rules I am not seeing. I didn't see any division of stock and mod tractors. I see in the rules that alcohol, billet heads, modified carbs, port and polish and pro tires are ok. I didn't see any restriction on cams either. I don't see how a stock motor could compete with that.

Please don't take this as critisim, I am just asking.

Randy

They are allowed to pull together. And while they are not equal in parts, you'd be surprised how limiting weight, tire size and block size brings them all together. Our top 3 tractors last year were a highly modded 14hp, a stock 16 twin, and a sleeper 12 horse that actually won the championship.

Come on down and join the fun. Our club is getting really popular because it's not "spec" class pulling. We have plenty of the traditional clubs around here with stock, stock altered, mod.... Blah blah blah. Might as well watch the same tractor overand over, they are basically identical anyways. Our lets guys built something different. And if he starts to win, others guys change it up.

Sounds fun Nic, but KC to St. Louis is probably too far for me. Good luck with the season!

Randy

Thanks man! I'll extend my invite if your ever in town. I'd love to have you dig around and get your hands dirty. Keep an eye on the website for event photos and hopefully videos this year.

And any tips or ideas you might have, pass them along. I'm always open to new ideas.

Nic - love the idea of that "sleeper" 12. I've got a stock block to play with and may play around with it a little. Don't really know where to start but gotta be stuff out there to help. Best of luck with everything.

The guy running that 12 is an older gentleman who has been pulling probably since these cubs were new. I say it's a sleeper cause it's in a cub 800 chassis that looks like an every day mower. Nothing shiny anywhere. He pulls in another club that has an RPM limit of 4000 for his class and he's tuned to run 3970-3980 WOT (on the money every time.) he hooks up and just drags my sled right out the gate nearly every time. It's just amazing to watch. He meticulously balances his weights based on my sled adjustments and just never stops. The guys with $5000 motors pulling 8k rpm are let scratching there heads.

He just recently switched to Vogel VM09 or 10's but other than that is plain boring to look at.

And for the record I have never gotten an once of info out of him, but he's legal in my rule book, so I can't tear him down and see. I'll post some pictures of his tractor when I get back in town on the 21st.

Nic - that older gentleman has my type of puller! I love that, great story. I look forward to the pictures.

I remember in 2008 when I won with my 122 and its 12hp motor most of my friends(loosely termed) turned immediately against me. I was laughing(inside) at the fact I won a mere $50 with a 12hp versus 20 some 16hp, 18hp, etc pullers and they thought I cheated. One guy wanted to put up the money and tear into my motor... It was just a perfect example of putting all my power to the ground, weighted perfect, and getting a bit lucky! I only pulled my under powered 12hp for the fun of it, and to get an idea of the track to help my son and his much more competitive 16hp puller.

I only pulled competitively a couple more times after that. The fact that the loosely term friends would then meet me at the weigh in scale to see what I was cheating on made pulling no fun... This is the 122 I bring to all Plow Days, same motor, same everything - well except tires I guess. I though t I'd be pulling my fertilizer spreader with it this week, but maybe I should be putting on the snow blade.

Best of luck to you and your pulling season !!! I be here waiting for pics and waiting to here results.

Went to the tractor pull today at brown park in st. peters... Had a great time and met a nice couple from Georgia that just moved here. If any of you were there I was the long haired guy with the grey beard and IH camo hat in shorts and black t-shirt.

Keith!! You went to my tractor pull?? That was my club putting it on. You should have said hi. I was the idiot running around with the camera taking pictures and watching the rules.

Check out my website, www.pantherpulling.com for all the photos.

I can't believe you didn't say hi
sad.gif

I didn't know who you were and I should have asked someone. I'll be at the VFW pull in Wentzville on June 29. See you there and I'll ask someone.

Back