• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 09, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geezer -- them that don't understand poke fun - Friend of mine has an old pool , I have a 460 amp welder ... THANKS !

Todd,

Yes, the main frame is still all Brinly except for my extra 3/8" rolling cutter bracket hole. The only modifications to the "stock" parts are as follows:

3/8" hole in frame just behind stock rolling cutter mount

rebuilt adjustment handle (clearance issues with the new rolling cutter bracket)

extra 5/8" hole in sleeve hitch clevis ("U" on front of plow) to allow the pitch of the beam to be changed.

The welding on the frame that you can see in the pictures is just me repairing some JUNK welds from the factory.....these welds were pi$$ poor to say the least. I ground them out and re-welded them for my own peace of mind.

Steve B.: I don't understand this part. Could you mark up a picture for me?
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

The hitch clevis has also been modified to raise the Brinly adapter further off the ground in the hitch pin area (the worst place in the world for trash collection). The mod was simple...drill another 5/8" hole in the clevis between the other two and bolt it up!!!! My sleeve hitch adapter did need a little modifying to get the lift angle right...no big deal, just a little lift tab.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Ok William,

Here we go....

17661.jpg

blue hole = extra 3/8" hole for bracket
red holes = stock Brinly holes in clevis
green hole = extra 5/8" hole in clevis to allow different frame/ground angle.
purple lines = extra tab I added to my modified Simplicity sleeve hitch adapter to correct a lifting clearance problem I was having.

Bruce M.

Check the mule drive for clearance on that new axle bolt. On wide frames the QA hooks hold a 1/2" rod (tensioner) on the mower mule drive that will hit an extended nut on the front of the formed axle channel.....the narrow frames might be the same. Would hate to have you go to snap on the mower and find it didn't fit (what I did the 1st time out
happy.gif
)

Tim G-
You might not have the right carb on that beast. Look inside the intake end of the carb and there should be a "30" cast in to the upper inside. Now there's two #30 carbs, one with a 1" venturi and one with a 15/16" venturi, you want the one with a 1" venturi.

If anything else it might be worth checking to see if there's a difference in high-speed needles between the K-series singles, I don't think there is, but if that could be the case you might have one with too small holes (if there even is a difference).

Steve-
I think your coulter will probably work better, it's much like the ones I've seen on older mounted IH plows. Mine ended up the way it did just because of the size hole saw I had, I had a larger Lennox cutter but haven't had luck doing more than wood with that one.

Given, it's hindsight, and I doubt any of it could be applied to the little 11" coulters . . . for anyone else looking to figure out what logic IH had behind spacing and size of notches, I wish I'd have looked at this before. Here's food for thought . . . . a "reading from the good book" if you will . . . .
17664.jpg

Steve B,
That clears it up. I was confused because a while back you were talking about reshaping the main frame. Those seem like easy mods to do other than
notching the coulter. Do you have a pic of the template you used to cut it? I have access to a plasma cutter.

On the front axle bolt: it is even worse on a NF
that a WF. I put a bolt in my 123 front axle several years ago. I never had a problem till last summer when I went to put a mower on it.

Does anybody have a source for the screws that hold the tunnel to the frame on a Q/L. My measurements say 10 x 32 but those don't seem to work. I have a feeling the holes are too wollowed out on all my Q/L's. Curious what others have done as a fix/replacement. Would like to procure similar screws.

Hope the long range weather forcast is good for saturday.

May need some help adjusting my plow. I have not had time to take it to the farm and try it and fine tune the adjustments. Went through the adjusting procedures listed on the site but still may have some tweaking to do.

Frank-Those things are a real bastard to come up with,I've drilled and tapped to a 1/4" on some.

Frank,
I believe they are 12-24. They are available from
cub cadet. My 149 had the holes wollowed out and I
had to tap them to 1/4-20.

Got seat time aerating today... no snow yet, although it was only 43 degrees out, with a chilly wind....
made the yard look like the fairway on caddyshack after the gopher got done w/ it..
17669.jpg

17670.jpg

17671.jpg

419 miles, 15 hours, 3 tractors...none of them mine.
sad.gif

17674.jpg

128 for Steve B., 108 for Travis S., 140H3 for Mike Schiefelbein.

Nice to meet Jim Land, has a pretty nice '120' with loader and a cool little Wheel Horse.

Hey Everybody! This week I'll be checking out my car-hauler and wiring the new Jeep for brakes to transport Cubs for Prophetstown and WFM. I'll have the 109 rigged to plow, and probably have Loader-Mutt along for show-and-tell at both places.

I'll have room to haul 2 or 3 more, and can transport from Prophetstown to WFM if somone's machine needs a lift.

looks like I'll be picking up a 1x7 that my dad bought (flats on all four corners) in Cedar Rapids en route to WFM. I was figurin' on taking both the 109 and Loader-Mutt, but if someone else needs a transport, I'll either leave L-M behind, or try'n reschedule the 1x7 pickup for Sunday evening.

FYI- I'll have a 2cyl Volvo diesel and most likely TWO chev 327's aboard the day AFTER WFM, when I'm heading back home, so I'll probably have a pretty full load... or at least... one that's hard to fish tractors around. This is a standard tandem-axle car-hauler, with fully-covered bed and brakes.

If someone needs transport, drop me a note.

Wyatt,

This is what I was working off of....it's a little different looking when the rolling cutter is only 11" in dia.

17680.jpg

Now somebody needs to come up with a Hydraulic-Active coulter assembly. Imagine no more carrying that 15/16" wrench in your back pocket on the first furrow-run!

Which Cub Cadets turned CW vs CCW, or did all of them turn one way? Trying to find a starter/Generator that fits my 149. Many thanks.

STEVE - Dad had notched coulters like that on His #8 plow for many years. He tried every other type of coulter, rippled, concave, welded spikes to a smooth coulter and nothing worked as well as the notched coulter. Combine that with Apostle Ken's cover board and I bet We'll be plowing in standing corn stocks at a PD Near You soon!

Steve B, There's going to be some fall chiseled, spring disced land right by the site. I'll see what I can do.

Back