• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 06, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question for the group. During rebuild of my k301. I found 2 crank seals pressed into the pto side. They were different is size and configuration. The outer seal had an L shaped case that just presses straight into the bore of the block. The inner seal has a check lip on the OD and drops in with only a slight interference. The inner seal was made by IPC. (I work for Freudenberg NOK which bought out IPC in the late 80's) I used to work in the Bristol Facility where IPC used to be.) I know a little something about seal design. It seems like that inner seal could start spinning w/the crank with enough heat. Heat would increase friction which would increase the likelyhood of the problem. The outer seal has both a sealing lip and a dust lip.
Ok bla bla bla.
The question is does that inner seal belong there? I'm thinking no. it's someone's experiment

Dan

Oh ,and to add to my therory that the second inner seal doesn't belong in the pto end of my crank is that I didn't get one when I ordered a seal/gasket kit.

Is their anybody out there that could tell me were to look on an IH 782 to find the model # for Kohler 17 hp series II engine? Just picked it up from a friend who did not know much about it. I was just looking to buy a service manual for engine. Was wondering if I needed anymore specific info to purchase that manual?
Thanks
T-

Hey Jerry- Genesis East is just fine- that's where Nick was born, and they've gotten a new Mat Ward since then. I'll check it out again in July, and tell 'ya what I think!

Art - Bryan -- all others ,
If it aint got a square corner it wont cut fer crap ! And there's not much difference but some better though to turn the 42" blades over and sharpen the turned down leading edge .. aka previous throwing wing ... using a push mower 22" blade in the center is a big improvement too ... been running that now for a few years. I cut with the 127 42"CI this past weekend after shreading the 2166 belt. IF sloped corners cut then we would have saved several hundred dollars over the years by NOT changing cutters on our 2 disc mowers or bought several sets of Bush Hog blades. Someday I'll spend $72 and buy some Starret tool steel and make my own blades for the 127.
I can also say that the mulching 2166 blades don't cut much better than the new "wore out sloped" 127 blades. Just throws it at lot futher. I gotta get some Gators !

Dave K -- can't go to any PD's. Barely see good enough to drive to town now. Kathy's getting to the point she doesn't like riding with me and NO night driving. I think I'd rather have my cataracts back ! Headlight "stars" are 5x bigger than before.

Terry- No need to BUY a service manual for that KT17... both series I and series II are covered by manuals which you can download directly from www.kohlerengines.com!

Steve. No 3pt yet but I hope to get one before plowday. If not, I will just watch.

Kraig. They are "Dee Stone Swamp Witch" atv tires. The size is 25x10x12.
17556.jpg

Thanks for the links guys. Ya saved me some cash. I am new to this IH stuff. I think this message board is awesome!!
T-

Dave Kamp: Don't worry about getting some seat time at Prophetstown. I will have extra help to keep an eye on Nick, while you try out the Super.

Jeff P. thanks. Great looking tires. I'll have to have a closer look at WFM. Hopefully you'll get your 3 point.

Must plow......must plow.....
First I got to get the plow set up on Spot.....
Then, must pow....pow...pow.....

T minus 233 hours 25 minuets.......

proud.gif

(Message edited by till on April 07, 2004)

Dave-
Thanks, I guess I was calling it detonation from the CNG fueled engines I've seen that had a wastegate or boost control solenoid fail, or ones that suffered from low WKI.

I just installed an old 48" deck on my 72 that my father let me use. It fits good, but is throwing the drive belt at high rpm's. I think the center shaft is bent wich may cause that, I will check it out.

I like this so well, I want to have a 48" for my own. So does anyone make replacement decks of 48" or can I fit a newer 44 or 50" deck. I have access to a 44" deck that my brother will give me, but the sheetmetal is rusted through all over. My dad would give me enough pulleys to make a deck if I had the sheetmetal for an older deck like the 48" that I have on there now.

I saw the pictures of the "new" looking 44 deck on Steve's 149. Is it a new deck, or pieced together?

My Dad wants his deck back, please help.

HELP! I'm REALLY confused now! I lost my bearing catalog and don't know where to turn.

A couple weeks ago there was a short discussion on Kohler engine bearings. The bearings I took out of the engine were a NTN 6308-C3. I had ordered a 6308 from McMaster but was told that it's supposed to have differnt clearances. SO . . . I called a contact at SKF and got a 6308-C3 bearings and low and behold it's a spherical ground outer race for a pillow block. So today I call Motion Industries and ask what they cross-reference to an NTN, they came up with a Fafnir 308K, but I asked what I plain NTN 6308 crosses to and it's the same thing and am told by Motion Industries that the NTN bearings 6308 and 6308-C3 are one in the same, and were very adamant about that fact. So I'm back at square one with the old McMaster 6308 bearings that I haven't got around to sending back, which according to Motion Industries is the same thing as my old NTN 6308-C3's. confused now? I am.

I guess the tie breaker for me is this, my NTN bearing is a precision clearance fit on the crankshaft, but the 6308 bearings I ordered don't slip on by hand (they might just be a light press fit). Is it possible for the old NTN's to have been hammered on long enough that they work themselves to a tight-slip fit on the crank?

BUT if there's a crankshaft endplay spec, is the crank supposed to slide fore & aft within the bearing or is the endplay more of a measure of the preload (or lack thereof) in the bearings.

<font size="-2">my brain hurts now</font>
. . . and yes, I know the short answer is that the bearings are available from Kohler, for $110 a pair!

Steve-
That's one nice deck! I thought I had a nice deck but that one looks great. Too bad mine will probably stay on the wall this year, our little city lot is hardly worth putting the deck on, in about the same amount of time it can be push mowed.
17559.jpg

Can the hydro lines be switched from the factory 3/8" id. to 1/4" id without hurting the pump. With the valve I'm attempting to use the original steel hard lines come up a little short. I'm wanting to go with the 1/4 soft lines so they will be easier to route, and cheaper.
Thanks again for all the help on this dual hydro conversion. It's amazing what you'll do just to avoid getting off the tractor to change the angle of a blade.

Off topic, but pretty damn funny commercials...

Search the 'net for "trunk monkey"
roflol.gif

Here's what happens when you get too bored and are a little on the OCD side.
17561.jpg

Joe, check with Houtz for your 48 deck skin. They're a sponsor here. I saw a new skin in the shed the other day. And it's always fun to browse the grounds there.

Back