• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 04, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vthomley

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Vincent Thomley
Troy - Nice collection! I see one thing I'd change - hook the tiller to a Cub with a Hydro lift...but that's just me. Again very nice!

Hopefully our snow melts here someday soon and I can get my Cubs outside for a pic.

Harry B - No nylock nuts. I reused the bolts and nuts that came off the tractor. The nuts look like stover (sp?), but appear original and square with the manual. Also the manual shows the isolator assy in cross-section with the steel inserts touching in the middle and several threads above the nut. That's how I installed them.

From a production standpoint, it makes sense to me that IH would have the inserts solid together with the isolators and engine rails squished between - free to float to the extent they can. I think it would be tough to have a "custom" setting on the iso mounts and get the same results everytime. I would think you tighten the bolt/nut until the insert touches (like the manual shows) and torque to 20 ft lbs and you are done - consistent install every-time.

Given my sloooooowwwwww progress, I doubt this tractor will be running this weekend, but maybe next year this time....
angel.gif

I have a Cub Cadet 122 that I am working on. Trying to get it closer to original shape and touch up some items that needed attention. The starter/generater was one item. I have repainted it to CC yellow instead of black. The ID tag was missing on this S/G, so I have purchased a new tag, but do not know what ID to stamp on it. Can anyone help with correct ID information?
Thanks, David Smith

David - I had new tags made for a couple tractors and while I can't provide a complete answer I can tell you that when researching dates on the s/g and the tractor, the s/g came from Delco approximately two months prior to the tractor assembly date. A good source for correct info is Classic Generator in Midlothian Texas. They know their stuff and were very helpful. Hope this helps a little bit.

So I have a 71. When I got I found it outside asked the guy who it belonged would consider selling it. Well eventually I convinced him. He said it had a carb problem. So I got it home took off the carb and got it rebuild. When I picked it up the guy said"that thing is pretty wore out. I can't garantee anything". So got it back on and with some fresh gas and a new battery it started right up. Ran great. The next day and from then on out it won't start for nothin. All it does is turn over. So I am tryin to avoid spending around 300$ for a new one from Kohler. Anybody got any ideas for.this.one?

I think my 129 has the original starter gen installed . the numbers on the tag are 110691-1023 .
256612.jpg

Willie Gray

so the tractor sit outside with no cover.There are a few things to check out .
1. Is the battery charged up still?
2. Check the plug / Pull it and see if you got spark ?
3. dirt in the gas tank ? is it getting any gas ? is the plug wet when you roll the engine over and then pull the spark plug ?try spraying a flammable spray into the carb while you roll the engine. If it tries to start you have a fuel issue.
4. clean all the ground wires where they run to the frame or engine. .

Don T - if that's the original S/G on your 129 it also looks like you have the original S/G belt. Have a look at the pic you posted. That belt is gonna fail real soon.
Hey, you sure have a nice snap ring plier set.

David S - psst, the following should help. (don't tell Charlie I copied it from his FAQ #72. If it's hard to read then just go to the FAQs and click on Charlies' FAQs). This shows the first 7 digits of the number. Not sure what numbers to use for the last 4 digits after the hypen. Also, it looks like your 122 could have used 2 different S/Gs depending on the year yours was built.
256630.jpg

Norm B - didn't see anyone comment yet on your leaky oil pan gasket after your K321 rebuild. I suspect you have an aluminum pan and it may possibly be warped a little causing the leak. There has been some discussion on here about that. The preferred pan is cast iron version used alot on the earlier models since the mounting holes are less likely to strip out, and I don't think it warps like the aluminum. I think you can square yours up if it is alumimum, possibly by wrapping a piece of sand paper on a piece of glass and sanding like you do a head, but I don't know if that is sanctioned, and I've never done it.

Harry,

Thanks for responding. Yes, it is aluminum. I didn't check it for warpage when I reassembled it but will now. And if is warped, I'll try to bring it back in.

Thanks for the info...

Shultzie,
I think I originally owner that one. I sold it to Bryan a few years ago. Funny who this stuff reappears.

Harry Bursell

Harry ; not going to worry to much about that belt. The starter gen delivers some torque when starting the Cub ( about three turns on the crank) and then it has very little torque to make power for the battery.As you can see it has started to drop down into the V of the pulley.But the belt has even wear and no cracks or issues. it might last another 5 years .

Donald T-
I know the battery is good, and I also know that it is getting good spark. I got the plug out and it was wet. waited for it to dry and turned it over a few times... it is getting plenty of spark hahaha. I haven't checked the dirt in the gas I put fresh gas in it but it could have some dirt in the bottom. Ill clean the grounds up too. I think it is the carb but I will try all this and let you know for sure!!

Willie,
I've had quite a few cubs that when they sit a long time like that and you get them running the head gasket will blow immediately and it won't start. Just dealt with that on a 1650 two weeks ago. A quick compression test if you have a guage handy can rule out a head gasket or carbon falling into the valve seat and holding it open.
Is it trying to at least fire (puff once but not start) or just not firing at all?

Don T - did you look at your picture posted below of your S/G??????? I'm pretty certain I'm seeing cracks and even a tear in that belt.

Hey Guys - is my eye site that terrible, or do you see cracks and tears in Don T's S/G belt in that pic he posted in his message below????

Harry,
look under O for Eye doctor...
Kevin,funny you say that,I just had to do that on the 86 I just got.

"Harry ; not going to worry to much about that belt."

Guess you got your answer Harry B.

129 up date ! I did find what the no charge issue was on my 129. AND had a great day messing with an old Cub.I know the 129 needs the steering box rebuild "again". What to do ! A three turn box might help, Or a hydro pump like Wayne bought and Power steering would cure the issue. Have all the parts but would need a stronger axle than the 125 has . Charlie told me I would need to get a 1811/1862 style axle for the strength and height. I have more things I want to do than I have time to do them!

Back