• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 03, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve H, Denny F,
I meant that you should be able to get a 7/16 NF
lug bolt at an auto parts store. I didn't mean to use a plain cap screw. They should have them for small utility trailers in 7/16.

Matt M.,
It sounds like the inside baffles are burned out of yours. I have a 123, 129, and a 109 with a K301 transplant. The 109 and 129 are fairly quiet but they also have had a new mufflers installed in the past couple years. The 123 is louder but it has an old muffler on it.

Wes -

That reminds me, I've had "sound" (amongst other things) leaking out from a poorly crimped muffler end cap (a little plier work fixed that) and also from the slots on the inlet if it's not clamped right.

Digger, Sorry to say I won't be attending your WFM party on the weekend of the 24th!
sad.gif

Just too much to do, you have to know when to say not!
happy.gif

Say, I just found this typo on this website!
Didn't look quite right to me.
Note:
"Please refrain from "you've got mail" posts - if the recipient is looking here, they probably KNOW they have e-mail. And if they have already read their e-mail, the post is superflous."
superflous is spelled superfluous...

Thanks for listening!
happy.gif

GTo Georgia Tech!!!

I know GO Georgia Tech!!!

(Message edited by jlang on April 05, 2004)

Hey Bryan! No- I haven't YET, but suspect I will soon... mind you, I've done some Red Greens meself, but most of the serious stuff, and all of the professional stuff are very-much top-dawg...

on the noise supression idea, here is something i did a few years back on a 125 i had. an extension with pipe thread fitting, then thread in a $3 push mower muffler from the hardware store. it worked great but looked kind of strange.

17486.jpg

17487.jpg

Terry "G",
<font size="+2">Another</font> reason to own Grinders!

Tedd,
I have one like that on Mein Kub, 'cept it's blue/black. Might just bring Mein Kub to PD for snicks.

Hello all.

About my 129 and the racket it makes...the muffler isn't stock, or at least I suspect it isn't - doesn't look it. It has a 1" dia pipe coming out of a plate over the exhaust port. The pipe goes into a really rusty cantister muffler that points straight down at the ground. Whoever suggested rusted out baffles is probably right and its good to hear that the stock muffler was quiet - be a lot cheaper to get one from a sponsor then buying the one I sent the link for earlier.

Nat, thanks for the ideas on how to make the stock set up even quieter.

Can anyone post a photo of what the stock set up is supposed to look like? by the way how does one post a photo here - a picture would explain the current set up so much easier.

I also sent a photo to Mr.125 of an original ad for a cadet generator set up...thought you all might be interested since it was being discussed a while back...maybe Mr.125 knows how to post it - please?

Wes, Calvin and Nate - thanks for the advice on the muffler. I will try the cheap method first and see if that works. If not, I will just replace the muffler and see if it is burned out baffles.

Dave- Check out the main page, and look for the Cub Cadet 100C...that is Dan H. work.

Um, Charlie...you holding out on me and Keith?
beerchug.gif

Had a good and bad cub weekend. Everything that could go wrong on Saturday did from the time I left work to the time I got home. The 582's lift decided that it wasn't gonna cooperate with me, the hood caught some wind and broke the hinge and the chain tightener on the sweepster was giving me fits after 1 round so I put it all back on the truck and headed home. Got it all fixed on Sunday with the exception of the hood and I am waiting on the dealer to get the hinge in this week. Did get my parents lawn broomed along with mine and even scared Charlie out of his painting duties.

TODD M - Unless You get lucky when You go into most auto parts stores now days if You don't know the make & model of the Nissan You want those lug bolts for You "May be Out of Luck". If it ain't in the computer it Doesn't exist! ;-) When I was back at FARMALL a tire broker made that mistake and almost shut the IHC Saltillio tractor plant down. Good thing We had a couple hundred thousand frt wheel lug bolts at FARMALL to share! RYAN - Don't forget Dan's 100 FWA, and the 100 Hi-Clear, and His 122 is pretty sweet. I haven't been to His shop for about 2 yrs so its hard telling what He's built lately.... Last I heard He was working on something with a V-8, a Ford Top Loader, & a 9" rearend!
On the noise suppression subject, be real careful how much You restrict the exh. flow from these larger HP Kohlers. Unless You mount a HUGE muffler to them somehow You'll never get them really quiet, but restricting the exh. flow will cause Your piston temps to soar! That can cause detonation, scuffed pistons, collapsed ring grooves, burned/stuck valves.

Ken W., have you tried Jameco for circuit board chemicals? Jameco

Here is the generator photo that Calvin wished to have posted.
17491.jpg

Calvin, here is a photo of a stock, but rusty exhaust on a beat up parts 149, your 129 should look the same. Please note that there should also be a heat shield above the exhaust.
17492.jpg

Nate F., that is one sweet looking 125! I see that you wrote "had" as in past tense. :eek:(

kraig,
that was one sweet 125. i got it from the original owner with a QA42, 42" deck and #1 tiller. it had smoked a wire 18yrs previous and he was afraid to get back on it, so he got another tractor and parked this one. wish i still had it.

17494.jpg

17495.jpg

17496.jpg

BTW, the exhaust was original (30 yrs old) with rusted out baffles, so i didn't think adding the extra muffler would cause excessive back pressure. i wouldn't suggest this mod for a brand new unit.
wink.gif

Oh- THAT Dan- Yeah- I saw his 100 crawler, and the other stuff. I'm kinda hardcore in the fab-and-engineering department, but I'm not THAT hardcore... let's face it, there are some people who can justify having a 300A 240v service to their garage, and there are some that need 3-phase. I'd like to have 3-phase, and a Bridgeport, and a better lathe, some hobbs... and a blast-furnace. The "DIY" echelon is truely met when a guy builds his own transmission from the castings up. :)

...It'll hafta wait 'till after this house gets torn down and replaced... when I can build my 2-story, 5-bay hip-roof barn in back... And to solve the problem of getting the utility company to drag 3-phase down here, I'll just put a 3-phase NG standby generator in, and give it a dual-purpose life... power the 3-phase shop tools, and hold up the critical house circuits (and the radio station) when commercial power fails.

Dave, got 3-phase to my building. Never used it. Course, the light plant is accross the street
lol.gif

Hi Travis! Hee hee... well, you can probably just tape some flourescent tubes to the rafters and get free light...

But now I know how to find 'yer place. Hey- I never got an answer from a message I sent 'ya- c'n I swing by your place sometime on WFM weekend to pick through the pile?

Dave, just got my email going (actually my internet), and I got about 310 messages to sort through ;-)

Back