• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 03, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked on the QL project tractor for awhile today. I got the primer on all the yellow parts this morning. Rebuilt the steering column this afternoon and got some other parts ready for some paint, too.

The neighbor came over and borrowed my JD318 & Brinly Cat 0 dual gang disk to use in his garden this afternoon. That's a sweet combo.

Washed and waxed the 129+ yesterday as well as the JD. Getting ready for plow day in Prophetstown. Can't wait!

Keith

This was the longest time I have used the 149 since I bought it. During the winter I would get stuck within a minute of getting on it. I loved my old 129 but my new favorite is the 149!! I graded the driveway with the brinly blade and the power of the 149 was great. I hope this post was not to far off topic, if it is please poof it.
17452.jpg

17453.jpg

(Message edited by jpierson on April 04, 2004)

Is heat the best way to get the decals off of the side of the fiberglass dash on a QL? If not, what are the other successful methods that have been used out there.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
Keith

Heat gun / hair dryer .. wipe it down with acetone afterwards to remove all remaining sticky

Done some mowing today!
buttrock.gif

To keep this on topic, there is a 100 in there somewhere.
17455.jpg

17456.jpg

17457.jpg

17458.jpg

17459.jpg

17460.jpg

17461.jpg

guitarist.gif

Quick question, I've got a creeper out of a 100 that I want to put in my 128, but the handle and the shaft are stuck and it is rusty inside.

Can it be saved, or should I go looking for another one?

Matt- Clean it up, and since you have it apart, put the correct handle for you application. As usual, contact our sponsors above for all your parts needs...or you can just send the hunk of junk to me, and I will dispose of it properly..
happy.gif

Amazing how often that place across the street burns to the ground...

Got the 129 running today after unsticking the intake valve and rebuilding the carb to get rid of the old gas gum. Sure does have a lot of torque - I thought you guys were dreaming when you talked about wheelies! Giddy Up!!!

At some point in the unit's life the muffler was changed/modified. It sure is loud! Any suggestions anyone has on quiet mufflers? I see in some of the pic that some of you have stack mufflers - are they quieter?

The place across the street has a major problem and the Dude is working on it. The Chat is still working and you might find information there. No need to E-mail.

Dave K.: I posted this for you and will post it here. it's the stabalaztion plate for the brinly,

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Here is a scetch of the stabalizing plate. It is made of a 4 1/2" round
plate of .125 thick steel. the other leg sticks up 2 13/16". The rest is lost in the bend. The plow should swing according to Brinly.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
17464.jpg

Kent,
You look C-C-C-old! Looking at you yellow Cub make me miss my '65.
sad.gif

Hey Geezer! Yep- I got the picture and info saved from the other site- thanks gobs!

KENtucky... yep- I've got a box of BEI (and other) encoders here, and I've made a few Absolute Position Encoders (APEs) for special projects.

In my stuff, I really don't go through the trouble of employing an encoder with precision beyond what I need... for example, if I was actually calculating the crankshaft angle for spark or fuel management, I'd wanna know, if not the entire crank revolution, at least when I'm within say... 50 degrees of TDC, up to about 10 degrees after... but with just wanting RPM, a single count-per-turn would be fine... or a count for every other turn... that's what an ignition-operated tachometer does.

The issue of counting teeth, etc., from the encoder aspect really isn't a major concern- it's really the processor's ability to count. A PIC only works so fast, and you can't easily count teeth and both measure voltages and do the ADC count processing at the same time... so like Relativity, you can't know both things in synchronicity. By using a 1-event-per-revolution device, it cuts down on the amount of counting operations (and resultant wait-states) that the processor has to digest before doing a voltage-read operation, and then an ADC count. The PIC's ADC system is really kinda hokey in some ways- it's got an internal RC circuit, and it measures Analog by taking a 'sample', and counting the number of operations it takes to see the voltage fall by 63.2%, and then applies that to T=RC. In my telemetry processors, I don't run into this time-intensity for processing demand, so it allows me to run an on-board oscillator clock at very slow speed (like, in the 100's of Khz), and my software guru and I developed a slick little GPIO interface protocol that allows a 500% variation tolerance in both the PIC clock and host processor (an AMD Elan @ 133mhz) speed without having any noticeable effect. Tracking the counts of a tone wheel would be really tough, unless you coupled the tone directly to a sound-card and used the sound-card's DSP to do a simple frequency analysis... you could probably calculate primary domain with FFT and make the math really short, but most guys don't want to bury their heads in DSP algorithms, or worse yet, figure out how to actually 'load' the algorithms into the sound-card, since most drivers don't take kindly to being given the boot.

But send me a copy of that tach circuit- it's entirely possible that I could derange it to operate on a 16F876, or possibly use three simpler PICs (one for tach, one for voltage/ADC, and one for RS232 or even Ethernet commo) on a cheap board...

As for finding supplies to make your own, you might wanna try taking a test-step into the 21st century... go to www.ExpressPCB.com, download a copy of their software and play with it... it's got a built in price quoter, and double-sided boards with plated vias is standard... great quality, all automated ordering, you can get fast service 'n stuff, and it's drop-dead gorgeous...

Dave - you're loosing me in the depth ... to much fer my high school drop out brain but looks like an encoder would cut out alot of other complicated circuits. BEI can even count as low as 1 per cycle.

The PIC16C66 also drives a 4 digit display. It's the simplest circuit I've seen for a tach with 10k rpm limit. I found it being used as a tach on a CNC spindle. I need one for that too but like I said , "I don't do PIC's".

I too have an ignition circuit that was designed by a friend of mine years ago to replace a $200+ Honda 2 cylinder module. I've took the board and made the schematic for it and was going to make a couple of boards but couldn't find the developer. Telling me to come into the 21st century is like me telling you to stop fooling with old <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Cubs ... it's what I like. I like to draw the circuits and scale them in Paint Shop Pro and make my own boards. I've done several regulator circuits and I use to build power mic boards and alarm circuits. Two sided boards are fun by hand
happy.gif
The SMT A3977ED 28 pin stepper chip is giving me fits but it's coming along ... just can't figure out the meaning of a few points.

I'm simple minded ... 1+1=2 2+2=4 3+3=6 4+4=8 5+5=10 6+6= You do the math I ran out of fingers !

I've got plenty of free time ...

email on the way.

Kent -- is the cub tractor your fairway tractor since I see you left the 100 on the "green" in all the pics. ... and don't say antything to me about golf because the only way I'd ever shoot golf would be with an 18 pound '98 Mauser Rem 6mm !

Ran Loader-Mutt a bit this afternoon and evening... partially to test the engine and hydraulic lift, but also to see how well the mocked-up treadle control for speed-ratio was gonna work. Needs a little attention in the neutral-seeking department, but for the most part, it's doing alright. I'll hafta fit the bugger with a new ignition switch (key falls out!) and a fuel tank (currently using a temporary tank mounted to a bench, but it leaks!), and get the seat installed... and something to give me temporary steering control... the hydraulic plumbing and steering cylinders aren't mounted yet, so the hydraulic power steering is not functional yet.

But it's one more step in the direction of an operational Loader-Mutt.

Todd,
Thanks for the info. It's got the bolts.
Thought they looked like they had a special shoulder,
but if standard 7/16 fine will work then great.

Art,
"cost me a mint to replace all of those BOSTON ...tapes."
Shouldn't have had to bust the bank to replace that collection.
err.gif

Ryan,
I understand about the cat and tree thing.
It's even worse when you've got two little blonde haired,
blue eyed daughters saying "Pleeeeeeeeease, daddy".

STEVE H. - Those wheel lug bolts do have a special shoulder taper. A regular hex head cap screw will hold the wheel on but it isn't the right bolt. They'll tear the wheel bolt holes up. KENT S. - Nice CUB!

Kevin D., the 782 sold for $3,760 in 1981, no price on the 782D.

Bryan, thanks for the heads up on the CD label info. <font size="-2">Those of you that have labeled CDs from me may want to make backup copies.....</font>:eek:|

Kent S., nice Cub and, 100.

Denny -

But if you're with Dan, you just head over to Menards, pickup some grade 8 bolts and have him put the chamfer under the bolt heads
wink.gif

Does anyone know of a 'quieter' muffler for the Kohler 12 hp for a 124? The stock muffler is just a little too loud.

Back