• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Anyone Plowing/ Manure spreading for spring

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevenovick1

Trying to get 1450 done. So i can plow before the snow comes. I know clock is ticking. Advice for Roots. What to do when i get hooked on a strong one?

I just worked my project field for the fall. It started out as 1/2 acre of pine stumps and brushy sweet gum trees. I had it grubbed off, and I've been trying to restore the soil for a couple years now. I just mowed it, disked it, limed it, and seeded winter rye. The soil is getting better with the lime. I spread 1000 lbs. twice a year, and the lower part of the field is still only 5.0 pH.

I'm not doing any of this with a CC, though. When I started, I plowed it with a 16" double bottom. Even with 48 hp on tap, it was rough going in my thick clay. My little Original has a hard time pulling a 4' drag harrow around the field.

What are folks using for speaders?

I watched some online folks record themselves using 2 different tow speaders in action that don't need a PTO -- a Newer Spreader and a CountyLine. Pro's & con's to each.

I'm clearing out a couple spots for spring gardens. Right now I am clearing the grass/brush. After they are cleared I will till and level them. I may run then over with the plow as well, but I plan to till first because the ground is pretty uneven and I didn't have great results when plowing over large mounds previously. I think it will plow much better after leveled a bit.

Anyone use their equipment for Food plots (Curious).

I have 50lb of Winter Rye that I plan to put down once the gardens are tilled, primarily to plow into the ground as a "green manure" come spring, but it seems that is a common food plot crop as well. We are near the Mississippi River and some large farm fields and get a lot of wildlife as it is, so the additional attraction is a nice bonus.

What are folks using for speaders?

I have a 175lb Agri-Fab spreader that I recently picked up for under $100 at an auction. It was at an estate auction and has never been used. Came with the manual and hopper cover, and product tag still on the axle. Probably my best auction find to date. I haven't gotten to use it yet, but I am looking forward to using it for fertilizer and Rye this fall, and sand over the winter.

I fall plow and then till in the spring
Works like a charm.
Speaking of fall plowing.......
It's just about that time again but this year it looks like I'll have to be content with only that instead of "Plow Days" GRRRRR.......

OOPS!
Forgot the picture!!

DSCN8083.JPG

Here in the East they load up with leaves. Late spring too. Just to soften the ground for spring planting. I’m not a fan of the leaves though.

I'll spread some lawn debris before I plow and then other stuff in the spring before the tilling.
The bean stalks will yield to the disc, it's a Brinly piece BTW, and get plowed in as well.
I usually take a clippers to the sweet corn stalks as soon as it is harvested but this year I didn't get them all cut.
PLow as much stuff under as possible.
The parts on the side of the disc are Cub Cadet weights my son picked up at an auction last year.

As an aside, there has been a family garden in that spot now for near 100 years!
We usually harvest 300+ lbs of spuds each year.

I think I need more weight on my big disc set. It's got 20 discs, about 6' wide, and I pull it behind a Ford 3000. Without weight, it didn't really do anything. I put 300 lbs. on it, and that helped. I don't have a way to put more weight on right now- I need to make a tray or something to secure more weight. I just don't how much weight to put on it? It has notched discs, but doesn't cut vegetation the way I had hoped. I was thinking about making a form and casting a single concrete block with a lifting eye to load/unload it. Any idea how much weight I should have?

Back