• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Anybody know what this is?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlie, Kraig,
Where might one find the serial number on this beast for verification purposes?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Edit: By-the-way, thank you for the quick response.

There's a plate on the so called dash/box under the gas tank.
Setting in the seat, look straight ahead and down.

Jeremiah C. Three locations. Where Charlie stated, on the left frame channel top side right in front of where the clutch would slide, AND if the engine is original the serial numbers will match the other two. The engine serial number is also on the left side and is stamped into the block. My 1936 F20 was serial number 68,399 or one of the last to be painted IH Tractor Gray.

That tractor is indeed a F-20. The rear steel wheels have me intrigued though. That mighty be a Fairway version of the F-20.

Tom, Not a fairway, just a home grown set of wheel extensions for road grader work.... Those look like std. Steel rims doubled up......

This just in . . . according to the current (and 2nd) owner, it is an F-20 built in 1937. Pictures of the Serial Number from the engine casting and the frame:

296903.jpg

296904.jpg

On the Frame:
296905.jpg

I read this last one as "100531" which doesn't seem to match the number on the engine from the other side of the tractor.

The tractor was purchased for the purpose of display from the grand-daughter of the man who bought it new in 1937. I won't go into the details, but the man saved it from the scrap yard.

I took shots of what I found to be interesting or curious features:

The (missing) Magneto (owner says he gave it to someone who needed it):

296906.jpg

The governor (owner has the carb):

296907.jpg

Some do-dads at the oil pan, of all places --I have no idea what these things are:

296908.jpg

The front featured a hand crank (owner demonstrated how the motor still turned freely; his youngest son fashioned a fitting for the spark plug hole and pumped grease into one of the cylinders several years ago):

296909.jpg

The rear wheels were definitely home made from another identical set (owner claims tractor shipped with rubber rears, but posited that since there were no tire stores in 1937, steel wheels soon replaced the originals):

296910.jpg

The current owner claimed that the most unique feature on the tractor was it's Hi-Low box mounted on the front of the transmission, like the creeper gear on a Cub Cadet:

296911.jpg

I was fascinated by the grader. It turns out that the unit was designed to be drawn by horses and had originally shipped with two small wheels at the front:

296912.jpg

The current owner thought that the unit was originally manufactured by a company called "Galleon" or "Gallion" (based on his pronunciation):

296913.jpg

(On Edit) Note: The operator of the original stood on a platform attached at the four bolts in the picture above, with reins in hand --can you imagine?

Anyway, I thought it was cool:
296914.jpg

Closeup of the serial number tag in the last shot:

296915.jpg

So, in the words of Frank Currier, what you have here is a "confuguliation" of a tractor; it certainly isn't a restoration. The current owner did not think it feasible to restore because the engine had been allowed to freeze up and crack the block (the exhaust manifold was in two pieces). His youngest son spent some time with it, freed the engine up and "got it to fire a lick or two," but it has not really been run since it was parked years ago. It simply sits on a corner lot, strung with Christmas lights awaiting the season to celebrate.
smile.gif

Jeremiah C. To add grease zerks to put grease into the engine all the owner had to do was replace the gask cocks above the valve cover with grease zerks. It may be great to keep an engine limbered up only in reality once the tractor began a hard pull the spring in the zerks would let the ball collapse and such air into the engine. Billy Martin of the long defunct DEAN BASSETT IH company just outside of Davenport, Iowa had a farmer replace those gas cocks pipes with grease zerks. When the farmer brought it in due to lack of power (then young mechnica, Billy) gave it a really not needed vavle job. Farmer took it back out and called back. Still no pulling power. When it dawned on Billy the zerks were installed he put his fingers over them and the farmer almost ran him over with the 10-20 with steel wheels.

I thought it was a 1937 due to the seat mounts. As for the engine serial numbers not matching. The original engine probably cracked like some when the farmer put water in the engine during the summer and in the fall forgot to put in anti-freeze. He then probably bought another engine from a salvage yard. My F20s block had a crack at the casting section and it cracked right on the dividing line between each piston. So, I replaced the engine with one from a 1934 or 5 F 20.

Jeremiah,

I would say it would be a GALION Pull Type Grader.

Some info about Galion Iron Works: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galion_Iron_Works

Here are some examples of Galion Pull Type Graders:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=485&q=galion+horse+drawn+grader&oq=galion+horse+drawn+grader&gs_l=img.3...333216.350486.1.350774.24.19.5.0.0.0.242.2061.12j5j2.19.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..23.15.2470.8Zd1OPljS2Q#hl=en&tbm=isch&q=galion+pull+type+grader

I remember seeing Galion Motor Graders in the past. Seems like now most are Deere, Dresser, Cat and Komatsu....

Another from the past is an Austin-Western Motor Grader, our local township had one with a 3 cylinder "Screamin Jimmy".... everyone knew when we were using that grader.......

Thanks for the links, Scott.

By-the-way, according to the Wikipedia article, the Galion line was purchased by Dresser which then partnered with Komatsu; they brought the Galion name back for their biggest graders, though.

"Do-dads" on the oil pan are petcocks. They take the place of a dipstick. Open the top one, if oil comes out ok, if not, open bottom, if oil comes out OK, if not, close bottom and refill until it comes out the top.......use tractor, repeat......
happy.gif
happy.gif

Shame a "display" model has a 2 speed........seems a waste of a less than common attachment.....

I'm pretty sure that Gallion was bought out by the Dresser Company who bought out the (Frank) Hough line, a member of the IH Construction line.

Back