• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Any John Deere owners???

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had part of what was supposed to be a 110 patio. Couldn't pay anyone to take it until I threw it in a deal with an economy. It was a later one. I've always liked the round fender 110. Nice Charlie!

Was able to do a little work on the 317 project last weekend. Got the engine cradle finalized and in place. Santa brought me a MillerMatic 211 so I'm finally able to hot glue things together. Haven't welded in almost 40 years so that's been an interesting thing to see...... Had the guys in the shop do some machining for me on the engine stub shaft.

Currently working to finalize engine placement. The pieces I have actually came from a JD 400 repower gone bad. The original Vanguard went ka-BOOM and he got tired of waiting for the warranty replacement so he bought a 430. The new V-Twin showed up and he just parted the whole mess out. So, I ended up with a brand new engine and a mish-mash of parts that are providing a challenge or two to fit in a smaller framed tractor. In the end I'm having to do some tweaking to get it all to work.

Was able to spend some time cleaning and painting some small parts. Have been on epay getting some of the other items needed like decals, light kits, etc. Hopefully today will provide an opportunity to spend time in the shop.

One more thing. Have any of you tried the Meg-Mo mower blade system? My neighbor came home from the farm show all excited about this set up. It'd cost about $270 to fit these to my Kubota's 60" deck. Thoughts anyone?

Had a great day today. Picked up my "new" plow courtesy of Steve Blunier II. Thanks, Steve! Also got to see Big Steve, Wendy & Monica. Spent an hour chatting up Cubs and catching up with old friends. Can't beat that.

Picked up my freshly painted parts. Thanks, Tim!

And got a little tinkering done over the past few days.

313766.jpg

313767.jpg

Wrong color but nice paint work!!!!
happy.gif

Good catching up with you on Sunday!!!!

That repowered JD should pull that 10" no problem!!!!

Keith,

You will love that Miller 211.....my 210 is a sweet welder....perfect size for what I do!

Earl,
They are MotoSport EFX MotoForce 24x10-12 6-ply ATV tires. Near as I can tell, air is optional equipment. They're pretty stiff and proved to be a b*tch to mount. They're there forever.
Keith

Earl,
I'd like to add that I've run the TruPower ag tires as well as Carlisle AT489 25x10-12 ATV tires on past tractors. The AT489s were a bit too tall for my liking as well as too round in their cross section. I wanted a slightly taller than stock tire with a better (more square) profile. I found the ones you see on epay! and took a gamble. I like how they look and I'm guessing there won't be problem with traction but time will tell.

If you Google my name and click on images you may see a tractor I built previously - a Cub Cadet 129 with a V-twin identical to the one I'm putting into the 317 grafted into it. I ran both of the aforementioned tire combos on it. The tall tires and sufficient horsepower enabled that tractor to plow deep and fast. It was a fun piece of equipment. I called it the "129+".

That tractor was a little light in the front even with the weight bracket and gas tank mounted out front. I'm putting the V-Twin in the 317 on a slab of 1" plate and I'm adding a couple of plates to the front of it, as well, to improve the weight distribution on this effort.

Hope all that helps. Or puts you to sleep.
err.gif

Just looked on Google. There are pictures there of the 129+ with both sets of tires on it. There's also a pretty good shot of an old 1000 I had that was wearing those same AT489 tires. They are the 25x10-12 version. Pretty plump for a furrow. If I were to do those again, I'd opt for the 9" wide version.

Good to know, thanks Keith! I got a set of Tru Powers, but a friend saw these and wants to put them on his Ferd. Only uses it for mowing right now, but who knows.

Good evening.
I need a little help with my JD 322. The electric PTO clutch won't pull in. I can hear the solenoid fire. The PTO engaged dash light illuminates. Yet the PTO does not engage. I checked the voltage at the PTO harness connection and got 11.5 volts. The battery is fully charged as of this this morning as I ran a trickle charge into it to ensure a full charge.

I disassembled the clutch and plugged the electromagnet portion back into the harness. The magnet generated a field but it was very weak.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.

Keith I sent some info from the tech manual. Looks like checking it with a bolt to see if the coil is strong enough and making sure the gap is correct. I had issues setting the gap correctly a few times on mine. Make sure the nylock nuts are good too. Had my old ones back off after a while.

John,
Thank you for responding. When I placed a bolt on the field coil it would hold it but it was easy to pluck back off. By comparison, when I tested the field coil that I removed from the KT-17 I removed from the 317 project tractor it produced a much stronger field.

The other variable in play here that I forgot to mention is that I had to replace the voltage regulator. I broke down and purchased the correct JD part (ouch $$$) and installed it. The only noteworthy thing here is that the VR I removed was a 5 wire device. The replacement is a six wire device, the addional wire being a ground.

A system ground was fastened under the VR on the original install. I duplicated that on the install of the new VR. The extra ground seemed superfluous so I put heat shrink tubing on it and zip tied it to the harness. Perhaps I need to run it to ground as well???

I'm out of my element on this, but try putting the ground back and maybe the problem will fix itself?

I solved a charging problem on my 1450 putting back an "extra" ground wire when I replaced the VR.

Jumper the clutch directly to the battery and see if it works better.......If it's in the harness, it will show up (weak performance plugged in, strong performance jumpered).

If the coil is bad, it will be weak on both accounts.

Back