• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Any John Deere owners???

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turned some dirt yesterday.
Awesome looking setup you have. I've wanted a two bottom plow for a long time. How does your 318 handle it? I have a pair of 420's that I want to make one into a plowing tractor.

Awesome looking setup you have. I've wanted a two bottom plow for a long time. How does your 318 handle it? I have a pair of 420's that I want to make one into a plowing tractor.

Thanks.
The 318 handles I’d good, but my 318 basically is now a 420 in the 318 size (2 speed/diff lock, 18” & 26” tires, P220 cam & carb, H3)
I’d post a video, but don’t know how.

Thanks.
The 318 handles I’d good, but my 318 basically is now a 420 in the 318 size (2 speed/diff lock, 18” & 26” tires, P220 cam & carb, H3)
I’d post a video, but don’t know how.
It looks good. I will admit to a weakness for the 420. I have two of them. I haven't pulled a plow iin many years but would like to get one of mine set up for that. We should probably not let word out here on this site about our proclivities for green tractors.

I have a few Deere but no 318 or 420 yet. I do have a good B48G just waiting to go into one!

I have a few Deere but no 318 or 420 yet. I do have a good B48G just waiting to go into one!
There were several good garden tractors back in the day but I think the 400 and 317 through 430 models were the best of those available at the time. I have a subcompact tractor I bought new many years ago that has many more functions and options available but I keep the 420s just because I like them. The 420 is fairly bullet proof tractor and in my opinion the worst part was the Onan engine. When they were new they worked well. Today parts are expensive and hard to get in many cases if you want new parts. I have one of mine with the original Onan and one with the Linimar(?) replacement engine.

I like the Onan engines, they make a lot of torque.
I haven’t had a problem getting any parts, I have been inside of 5 of them. 3DDCFE80-CAB0-4F91-92D8-0E7ECEC3B109.jpeg

I like the Onan engines, they make a lot of torque.
I haven’t had a problem getting any parts, I have been inside of 5 of them.
I stand corrected. I have only had the one on my tractor and one on a power unit from several years ago. I looked for parts to overhaul the powerunit and parts were very high and hard to get (what the dealer told me). Fast forward about five years and I was looking for some new parts for my 420. I needed a carb and other small parts and since it was winter and the tractor has a lot of hours on it, I thought I would overhaul it. I priced pats at two different dealers. Both cited the same things. Hard to source and expensive. I decided to run it until it is spent and replace it with a Honda (?) from Small Engine Warehouse. I really don't think they were a bad engine at all but I do prefer the overhead valves in the newer engines.

There were several good garden tractors back in the day but I think the 400 and 317 through 430 models were the best of those available at the time. I have a subcompact tractor I bought new many years ago that has many more functions and options available but I keep the 420s just because I like them. The 420 is fairly bullet proof tractor and in my opinion the worst part was the Onan engine. When they were new they worked well. Today parts are expensive and hard to get in many cases if you want new parts. I have one of mine with the original Onan and one with the Linimar(?) replacement engine.
I do have 2 317's a 314 and an H3, The 314 is a parts chassis but saw an awesome one for sale the other day for $800 that had the brantley power steering and flow diverter. I would have tried but it was 400 miles away.

Besides my Cub Cadet 100 (bought used at a lawn & garden tractor auction in 1987), I have a John Deere 318 Lawn & Garden Tractor (bought new in 1988) and a nearly mint condition John Deere Model 80 Cart (bought used at a farm auction bought a few years after 1988). My 18-HP JD 318 and Model 80 Cart have performed great and are a pleasure to operate and service!

This is my dad's...
IMG_20201212_143820.jpgIMG_20201212_143829.jpg

This is the only pic I have of my 110, was taken before I got it running. My neighbor had a first year 110 years ago, with the 7hp Kohler
IMG_20200909_181118.jpg

And here's my '79 111 LT, first year production so chock full of uncommon features
IMG_20200501_144950.jpg

This past Saturday I had the X585 fleet out to do some implement swapping. Got the snow blower and cab off of my mom's main X585, I need to get my tiller mounted on that next, that one is the only one with the three point and rear PTO. Got the snowthrower off of my X585 had to use my mom's X585 loader tractor to get the mower deck out of storage in the pole barn to install on my X585. My pallet forks worked great for that. While I had them all together I snapped a few photos. I store my implements at the family farm so I have to haul my tractor there to do the swapping.

3_JD-X585_01.jpg

Please note that the loader did NOT leak down, I lowered it as I was about to slide the deck off but then decided to take a few more photos.

3_JD-X585_02.jpg

3_JD-X585_03.jpg

Jeff were can i get 3 ribbed tires for my JD455. Are those bigger rims than factory rims?

I have 400 series rims on my 318. The front tires are 18-8.5-8 5 rib V61 and the rear are 26-12-12 Maxxis Power Lug.

Miller tire has both 3 and 5 rib in the 16 and 18 inch size.

Back