• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Another Oil Leak!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Riutzel

IHCC Supporter
This is for a 1975 1650 with a S/N 540720. Last year I took time to fix oil leaks, the worst was the cork mounting gasket for the hydro. It finally could work, mow, etc. and then park and have a clean floor under it. That lasted about 9 months, and another showed up. It took some sleuthing but with some UV dye I traced it down to the input shaft (trunnion?), for the swash plate in the hydro. Now it looks like a major tear down of the hydro to replace the seal for that shaft. 2 questions I have is 1 the manual shows a wood piece to put the pump parts on the keep the pieces in order. Is it really that helpful? 2., What kind of wear could that seal failure be pointing to? I've often found what seems simple from the outside as in just a worn seal is actually from a root cause of other wear going on. Thanks!

Without the wood piece, the unit will not sit nicely on your workbench. It'd be pretty difficult to do anything without it. The seal has most likely gone bad simply because it is 50 years old.

If you are going to be into it that far, I would replace the needle bearings on the input shaft in the charge pump housing and front half of the unit. They will eventually go bad and will wreck the input shaft (and eventually the whole hydro unit if left too long).

Aha, thanks! I'm reading this as similar to a transmission rebuild. If I'm in there: do it all - do it once and good to know about the jig. Just a brief history; it was parked 10 years ago when strange noises were coming from the engine. Last spring/summer the engine was overhauled with new parts and to spec. The mower deck also got an overhaul with new bearings, shafts, belt, and some blades The last was the hydro fluid was changed using Hy-Tran with filter and some leaks started showing up or got worse as the hours started racking up. Once the tractor gets squared away, the last on the list is the tiller unit that is currently seized up from a few years out in the weather.

Latest posts

Back