• FIRST AND LAST NAMES ARE REQUIRED WHEN REGISTERING

Another Oil Leak!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

Greg Riutzel

Well-known member
IHCC Supporter
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
208
Location
Lebanon, Oregon
This is for a 1975 1650 with a S/N 540720. Last year I took time to fix oil leaks, the worst was the cork mounting gasket for the hydro. It finally could work, mow, etc. and then park and have a clean floor under it. That lasted about 9 months, and another showed up. It took some sleuthing but with some UV dye I traced it down to the input shaft (trunnion?), for the swash plate in the hydro. Now it looks like a major tear down of the hydro to replace the seal for that shaft. 2 questions I have is 1 the manual shows a wood piece to put the pump parts on the keep the pieces in order. Is it really that helpful? 2., What kind of wear could that seal failure be pointing to? I've often found what seems simple from the outside as in just a worn seal is actually from a root cause of other wear going on. Thanks!
 

mgonitzke

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 4, 2006
Messages
4,199
Location
Wichita, KS
displayname
Matt Gonitzke
Without the wood piece, the unit will not sit nicely on your workbench. It'd be pretty difficult to do anything without it. The seal has most likely gone bad simply because it is 50 years old.

If you are going to be into it that far, I would replace the needle bearings on the input shaft in the charge pump housing and front half of the unit. They will eventually go bad and will wreck the input shaft (and eventually the whole hydro unit if left too long).
 

Greg Riutzel

Well-known member
IHCC Supporter
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
208
Location
Lebanon, Oregon
Aha, thanks! I'm reading this as similar to a transmission rebuild. If I'm in there: do it all - do it once and good to know about the jig. Just a brief history; it was parked 10 years ago when strange noises were coming from the engine. Last spring/summer the engine was overhauled with new parts and to spec. The mower deck also got an overhaul with new bearings, shafts, belt, and some blades The last was the hydro fluid was changed using Hy-Tran with filter and some leaks started showing up or got worse as the hours started racking up. Once the tractor gets squared away, the last on the list is the tiller unit that is currently seized up from a few years out in the weather.
 
Top