• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Another day in the Jeep.....

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no doubts that y'all are correct. I have not received any bad info from anyone here. Now that I know what's what from what I can check the other sub frames and figure out what they fit. Appreciate the help and thanks to all.

So this 149 seems to be missing something. I am not sure of the terminology for this missing part. Is it called a driveshaft? Hydro shaft? I haven't gone out and looked at the 129 to see if said part is there. If this is the same part ( by terminology ) can it be replaced with "Dave's driveshaft" ? I read something somewhere about the driveshaft from a 1250/1450/1650 is a great replacement/upgrade? Can anybody verify if I know what I am talking about?
IMG_20201102_081753.jpg
IMG_20201102_081744.jpg

Yep your missing a drive shaft, cub dealers could still get them for about $100. Make sure you use a spiral pin on the engine side!

I can start and run the tractor without it? I know it won't move just wanted to be sure before something else turned to poo. Did you see the bolt? Now I know why it's missing. I need to peel the 129 apart and see what's going on in there. Haven't found enough get up and go. The iron in my blood has turned into lead in my a$$. I have been fighting with Master and haven't done much except spraying PB Blaster. Wouldn't be such a fight if the steering would move :bash: or if I could get the hydo to disengage? unlocked? released? Had a forklift? Had a bigger boat? I guess I shouldn't complain the hitch wasn't seized. The lift bar is seized but the hitch wasnt. Part of the rear lift came off it actually ubolted! I almost peed myself! The Little Woman fainted! What a night! Anyhow back to the 149. Do you know,is a 1450 driveshaft similar? Is it a drop in improvement? I have a 149 and a 1450 package deal on deck. If the Good Lord is willing and the crick don't rise they should be home Sunday. The 149 runs the 1450 has an emotional disturbance of some sort.

The Spirol pin goes on the Hydrostatic input end, a solid "dowel" pin goes on the engine side.

Ron - in all someone has done a real hack job on your 149. I can't understand why they changed the right side hydro pump output line. Your pics show they added a right angle output fitting, some bent tubing and another fitting after the bend. Just can't understand why they would do all this. Hope someone else has an idea about what's going on here.

One more thing about your blade. I originally raised the question about the sub-frame and it's now clear you have a narrow frame sub-frame. The A-frame of the blade also has the narrow frame lift bracket as has been pointed out. If you get a wide frame sub-frame and attempt to use this lift bracket you will rub the lower grill housing. You could "tweek" it slightly but that's a real pain and could result in the lift rod rubbing the axle. There's one further thing I wanted to point out since you asked about the era of your blade. Did you notice the 3 holes drilled thru the A-frame just back from the lift bracket? Those 3 holes are used to mount a hydraulic angle cylinder, which wasn't available until the Quiet Line series. So the A-frame is from at least 1974 or later, and I suspect the blade itself is as well. Typically your A-frame would have an IH decal on the top of it and that would be a dead give away to the era of the blade BUT it's almost a certainty someone has painted your blade YELL'R and there is no real way to tell an exact era.

Harry, I noticed the "repair" I think that it's a spliced in repair with compression fittings. I need to open the 129 and look in there and see what's under there. I am not sure how it will be plumbed different because of the lift on the 149. Thanks for the sub frame info. That will help not just on this subframe but the other two sub frames I have. Is there an interchange manual? I am loaded with questions and hate to keep bugging folks over what I am sure to someone is a dumb question. I am hoping my grandson will carry the torch after time. Other than Mother Nature putting the smack down on Master it's been fun talking with folks and fooling around with the tractors. Even the Little woman has been involved to the point of wanting her own Cub! Finally have something small enough to fit in the garage that both of us can walk around and work on. I think we might work our way to a fleet of 149s,but those 100s are so cute.

Ron - you asked about an "interchange" manual. I have seen one made by CCC that was for later Cub Cadets and a few of the late IH models. I've never seen one for Narrow Frame era tractors, but Charlie or Kraig might just have something like that.

I don't recall ever seeing a manual for IH Cub Cadets that shows what implements fit what. I've seen the CCC/MTD versions but not IH. IH was pretty good at making things backward compatible when possible, but in some cases to make improvements (or perceived improvements, see my old image below that some long time members will recall) you have to forgo backwards compatibility.

PERFECTION.jpg

Slant Tongue.gif

Back