• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Am I as smart as I think??

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Armbruster

IHCC Supporter
displayname
DontknowJack
So the latest thing to move in is this fine looking home made hydraulic lift. So now comes the questions. Will a narrow grill housing fit a wide frame? I am pretty sure that my 129 will be a dedicated earth mover. I think I have enough goodies laying around to pull this off. Also because of my VAST knowledge......:drool2: would anyone be able to tell me does this have "power down"?
I am wondering this because of the control valve, two pressure and one return. I don't know enough about hydraulics. I know how to point at what's leaking. 👉 I might be able to add fluid. Maybe. First I would have to know where and how to check it. Then the decision on which fluid is correct. :fencing:That's what I know. And my apologies for the yellow insult in the back. I am disgraced to say it's mine. Please don't hold it against me, I'm really a good guy. It ain't my fault.
IMG_20201210_112804.jpg
IMG_20201210_112820.jpg
IMG_20201210_112829.jpg
IMG_20201210_112833.jpg
IMG_20201210_112846.jpg
IMG_20201210_112857.jpg
IMG_20201210_112921.jpg
IMG_20201210_113010.jpg

Hi Ron,
a cylinder with lines on both ends is always fluid driven in both directions. this means it can provide force in both directions.
although some types of valving will allow float - it is slow and cumbersome because the fluid has to be pushed out of the cylinder - through the hoses, past the valve and into a low/no pressure reservoir . all of this provides fluid back pressure that you would recognize as resistance to movement -
all cub hydraulic cylinders I have seen provide force in both directions - for lift systems on Cubs the cylinder does not provide the "float", the float comes from the linkage, which basically can be locked(down force) or allowed to have movement(float)

Yup "Cub fever" has taken over. There are four of them now, not counting the yellow insult. Well maybe five depending on how you see a walk behind tiller. And the trailer. Two tractor mounted tillers. Three push blades. Yup runs pretty deep.
:groupwave: For the cylinder lift!!!!
"Power down" boy the other kids are going to be jealous!!! Dad always complained about his Ford not having power down. Every spring he would try to knock the crown down from his driveway then gripe till the snow fell. I know it will have it's limits, but compared to gravity I now have the edge. Now will the grill housings interchange? I don't mind moving it to a wide frame housing. Just wanted to be sure before I start being away at those welds.

I appreciate the info. I think that in reality I won't try to "dig" with the front, it's really about trying to get an understanding of hydraulics. I have covered my experience level in a prior post 🙄 So as stupid as it may sound I now know more than I did. My experience with hydraulic equipment came from driving a wrecker. I could make my equipment sing and dance but never understood how I could go that. Learning how to feather valve handles while controlling engine speed was easy understanding the difference between power down and gravity down well it was obvious to see but not understand how. The first time I could throw a lever and pick up the back of my truck I have been interested in knowing more just never took time to learn. Now is the time. So as dumb as my questions are even this answer/information closes a lot of gaps for me. Next time I see something like this lift I will be able to "see" how it may be useful for a different application. I took a chance buying it based on what I remembered from the cylinders on the wheel lift. My boom didn't have "real" power down, but the wheel lift did. So I get what you are saying about the front end. And now I know that my rear lift has power down. Dad would be so jealous. 😀

Back