• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

All Things Deer

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marty: That is exactly what I was thinking, and I don't even hunt!
smile.gif

Dang you guys. Now I'm so hungry for some good deer steaks.

angel.gif

Sorry but I have to post this
My daughter and I found it while picking up field rocks with the 169

Some LOWLIFE------NOT Hunter left this about 100 feet from my driveway on the 1 1/2 mile long road I live on.

And to be EXTRA LOWLIFE the second picture is what I found for the person cleaning this up,,,,posibly me..

246672.jpg

246673.jpg

Charlie or Kraig can poof this if I crossed the line, but I felt people should knows this happens

Jeff,

There are people like this everywhere. It doesn't take long to dig a hole for the remains, but some people are lazy and disrespectful. You can ride the back roads around here during deer season and see all the mess you want to. What a shame.
thumbdown.gif

The same thing happens here in my neck of the woods too Jeff. Like Marty says, it happens everywhere. I really hate seeing things like the hacksaw blade; it can harm the wildlife that help clean these messes up.

I use to leave the entrails (sp) in the woods when I gutted my kill but they were always gone by morning. Several times I went back just to see. Foxes, coyotes, coons, etc. actually enjoyed them I think. I never saw anything wrong with that mainly because there was little there usable (heart, liver) and it fed other animals.

Another reason we see a lot of this is the counties don't allow dumping of "animal parts" of any kind in dumpsters. I'm sure they have their reasons but maybe something could be done.

Wayne if it was in the forest or way out in a field thats different but this is 3 feet of the road and yes the wild will clean up the mess
but that brings them closer to my chickens and goats.

And the hacksaw blade really ticks me off

Awww Marty, I've never had canned deer meat.

Jeff, those pics were gruesome, and the person/s that did this should pay the price for leaving it along side the road, and were they poachers or just dang lazy hunters.?? Those type shouldnt be hunting. I do agree with Wayne on leaving behind that which the other wild ones of the land will consume, but NOT by the road,as you pointed out Jeff. And the hacksaw blade. OMG!!! I can't even put my anger into words.

I don't use the word HATE often, but I do HATE poachers and those who hunt just for the kill, the sport of it. Years ago when I was doing American Indian crafts and art work, the DNR knew I used wild turkey feathers/ and other feathers and such and called me as they had come across 3 beautiful Wild Tom Turkeys they found,and offered them to me, knowing the feathers wouldn't go to waste. I had to decline, letting them know that since the birds weren't taken in a scared manner ( legal hunting for their meat). In tradition nothing is ever killed unless it is needed for food and then of course the remainder of the creature is used. It was sad to have to turn them down, but to me those feathers held really BAD energy and intent, and I couldnt use them on my work.

angel.gif

Jeff, I've seen them dumped along the road where I live too. They don't last long as the wild critters clean it up very quickly. One time I saw multiple Bald Eagles gather around the remains to clean it up. I think coyotes and turkey vultures do most of the clean up. I do agree though that it should not be dumped right along the side of the road and certainly a hacksaw should not be dumped with it.
angry.gif

Cathleen;

If'n y'all want some legally harvested wild turkey feathers(I always consume what I take);let me know as I will gladly hook you up next season!

Bobby..wow, that sounds fantastic.! I would love wild turkey feathers. Thanks so much. I'll look forward to next seasons hunt. (I'll get with you privately.)

IF anyone else hunts and would like to offer up the feathers, they can email me privately. ((smiles))

It was so sad those turkey were poached and then just left but I was honored the DNR thought of me and thought all would not be lost if I used the feathers. They so understood my view on the whole situation though, and buried them. when I started my business I contacted the DNR to make sure I was " legal". They even came out to my home and looked over my work room, and they were so impressed with what I was doing with feathers, which are usually left in the field. ( not bragging~ just being honest)..lol

thanks again

angel.gif
Cathleen

Cathleen,

You haven't eaten venison until you have eaten it canned! I'd rather have it canned than any other way. Our grandparents knew what they were doing by canning everything. You can open up a jar years later, and it's just as fresh as the day it was canned. Another bonus is it doesn't take electricity to preserve it, and it never gets freezer burned. The only problem I have is when I open the jar, it is hard to not eat the whole jar before preparing my meal. I love placing the meat in a skillet with some fatback and frying the meat a little crispy. I then add some of my wife's homemade BBQ sauce and fry about five more minutes. Oh my! Deeelicious.
chef.gif

You wouldn't happen to be going to make trout flies out of the turkey feathers are you? If so, I may beg for a few myself. From what you're saying, probably not. Pics of your work would be nice.

Please stop, or this thread could become responsible for the death of a deer that we have too few of around here, now. I'll eat lobster (it's a treat in this part of Maine), Partridge (Ruffed Grouse) is preferable, but the best meat I've ever eaten is canned venison.
happy.gif

246769.jpg

Wood and metal. It can never be taken away from 'us".
happy.gif

Marty. I hope someday I do have the chance to eat canned venison.! You're talking about it, and your wife BBQ save made my mouth water. sounds yummy. Yeah, back in the old days, before freezers, everything was canned, and actually a much smarter alternative, since we are dependent on electricity to keep our foods ' cold'. I use to can, but can't now due to limitations caused by my back " issues". I so miss that though.

Frank, I got a good chuckle reading your post, and I love the pic of your gun and the hat as well. Where did ya get the hat? is it " old".???

angel.gif
Cathleen

Cathleen,

Sorry to hear about your back issues.
Canning venison is real easy and shouldn't involve any heavy lifting. Even Marlin could do it!
lol.gif

How to can venison: Cut meat into 1" chunks (aprox.) and soak meat in ice water for up to 7 days, changing the water every day. Rinse the meat the last day and place the meat (no water) in a quart jar with a teaspoon of salt. Place the jars in the oven and set the temperature to around 350. When it reaches 350 cut the oven off. This warms the meat and jars so they won't burst when you pour the boiling water on them in the canner. Take the jars out of the oven, put on the lids, place them in the canner. Then pour the boiling water (mine calls for 3 qts.)into the canner. Turn up the heat, build up the steam, and cook for usually 90 minutes at around 11 pounds of pressure (different pressures for different altitudes). When the time is up, let it cool on it's own and that's all there is to it!
yummy.gif

Marty where does the water in the jars come from or is that all juice from the meat?

Marty, oh first I wanted to say, no I dont make trout flys for fishing. that is an art unto itself. Although I sure thought about taking it up.!!

Thanks for the directions on canning venison. Thats a very uncomplicated process ((smiles)). Although easy and yeah, Marlin could help, and it would be fun to do it together, I dont have any canning supplies anymore

thanks for your sympathy of my ' back issues'. People who don't have major damage to their back/muscles/spine dont' realize how it affects one in the kitchen. Standing is problematic, and when baking/canning or even hand washing dishes,it can be impossible to stand long enough to get those things done without taking several breaks in-between. ((sigh)). Then I realized how vital the pelvis is, when I broke it in 3 places in 2004. It was almost a year before that healed enough so I could stand long enough in the kitchen to get much accomplished. That was a long process.! one realizes how the pelvis holds up the rest of your body. lol. Without that support,its like jello trying to support concrete. blah blah blah... so it goes. I won't go on and on. boring.

angel.gif
Cathleen

Latest posts

Back