• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

All Things Deer

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent some time Saturday working on the site prep for an elevated deer stand. The ground was very uneven here from decades of gopher mounds and some big ant hills. I had hauled the X585 with loader from the farm up to my place for a few landscaping projects and the deer stand project. Finally got to the fun project. The loader made quick work of the uneven ground. The loader also makes it easy to transport materials. I will be reusing the slide platform from the swing set/slide that I built for my daughter back in the 1990s. I built much of that out of cedar, I did use pressure treated lumber for the joists and composite deck boards so that structure is solid. I'll be replacing the support posts with pressure treated 4x4s that are taller. The platform used to be around 5' high, it will be 8' high when I finish it. For now it will just have simple 2x4 railing around it. Eventually I might build a roof and enclose it.

Stand Site Prep_01.jpg

Nice and level

Stand Site Prep_02.jpg

This will be the view from the stand.

Stand Site Prep_03.jpg

Last load of 2x4s. These will be for bracing the 4x4 legs.

Stand Site Prep_04.jpg

I have an metal elevated stand 8' off the ground. A plastic 4X4 box blind on top. Made camo curtains with black plastic backing so not see through if the sun is shining in. Going to move it closer to home on the neighbors ground by a creek for this season. It sits on 3 treated 1" boards and has an anchor stackl about 16" long down through the leg plate and the board. 4 steel post off each corner with guy wire from the top of the blind frame to the bottom of the post to a rachet to snug them down. Will stand about any wind as no issue with it the last 2 years. The steel elevated blinds are cheaper than buying wood right now. I got mine at an auction a few years ago for $200.

The old slide platform is 6' x 6' so plenty of room to move around, or for two people to hunt from. I might put a pop up blind on it or just add some branches to it so it blends in some. Hope to get it done soon so the deer have time to get used to it.

Schultzie, Do the deer a favor and plant something that will do them some good in the winter not just bait them for a kill..Yes, I'm a serious hunter also but I do think long term.... Your tilling job looks awesome,very impressive...

It took two deere but I got the deer stand stood upright last night just before the rain came, we got exactly one inch with more expected today. It's been really dry here very thankful for the rain. Now I just have to get the deck boards and railing installed. I will eventually build stairs to get up to it but this year I am planning on using the ladder from a ladder stand that I have.

Stand Up_01.jpg

Stand Up_02.jpg

Stand Up_03.jpg

Kraig - Yes it did grow fast. We've been getting a lot of rain here lately. Everything is growing like crazy.

Gary - My plan is to put up a stand in this tree in the next couple of weeks. I hope to get a trail camera up sometime soon too.
Img_5616-Deer Stand.jpg

Some time back I added a buried plastic tub for a watering hole, aka "pond". Water does a good job of attracting all sorts of wildlife. The pond is at the base of the tree behind the fawn that's in the foreground. During the summer there are not too many bucks that frequent my property but come fall they show up looking for does. I plan to add a mock scrape near by that I can see from the stand. If you look at the last photo that I posted above of the stand, the scrape will be where I took the photo from. The licking branch will be suspended from the walnut tree that's there. I'll have to trim a bunch of branches off of it first.

Can you spot all six deer?

Deer_Water_July 2021_01.jpg

Latest posts

Back