• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Adopted 2 Cub Cadet 100 tractors plus implements

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NedBattle

I just adopted 2 Cub Cadet 100 tractors in California that were lost in overgrown grass and weeds including many Brinly implements.
The first one is a mid year 1964 model with a 10HP engine from 1977 per engine tag (1964 Walbro Carb though).
I rebuilt the carb and got a new battery and it had new oil in it and I got it started but it hadn't run in 10 years so I should have probably taken it apart first.......
It was running fine and then "KerChunk" and it stopped. Now the crank turns with no compression or resistance. It feels like the main bearing cap came off or worse so now I have to take it apart and see what happened.
I pick up the 2nd tractor next week which is in worse shape but hopefully it has an original engine and a good source for parts.
I will probably sell most of the Brinly implements on Craigslist as I won't be using them unless someone gives me some farmland.

Attachments

• IMG_20200720_192700.jpg
    IMG_20200720_192700.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 437
Welcome, Mr. Ned, from 3,000 miles away! Glad you found this site to post in! Seems to me that the old Cub Cadets are a rare find in California. "Kerchunk" isn't your fault - connecting rods are known to fail. It is a weird feeling when it happens, though. The 100 is a desirable machine - keep us posted? :)

I hope to ride one of the tractors in the Vista Gas and Steam Museum (AGSEM) tractor parade one of these days... wearing a face mask of course. The Brinly implements included are cultivator, disc Harrow, rear blade, dethatcher, 10 inch plow with 3 point hitch.
Also a front plow that doesn't look like Brinly with custom front attachment for lever and the original mower deck missing safety panels which is the most important to me.
I was surprised to find Home Depot carries many of the Brinly implements and based on the new prices I have about $1500 worth of dirt movers. Some need new wheels and missing bolts.
mower deck.jpg10 inch plow.jpgsleeve hitch cultivator.jpgdisc harrow.jpgrear blade.jpgIMG_20200723_085236.jpgfront shovel.jpg

Thank you Ned for sharing interesting photos of your adopted pair of IH Cub Cadet 100s and work implements! Hope the "kerchuncked" Kohler engine can be saved. A couple of years ago, my bought-new 1987 self-propelled Snapper "Extra Tuff" commercial lawn mower started making unusual loud grinding noises while I was mowing. I immediately shut off the engine and initially thought the never-trouble-before Wisconsin Robin V-145 engine had finally kaput. Turned out, this original engine was fine but the self-propelled drive mechanism (bearings, drive shaft, etc.) had actually worn out. After obtaining amazingly-still-available NOS replacement parts and TLC from an expert mower shop in Colorado Springs, my beloved 33-year-old mower is back in service for decades to come. Good luck Ned with your Cub Cadet 100 restoration project(s)!

I could use some help from the forum identifying that hitch assy that is attached to the plow. There are spindles on each side for wheels I presume but I couldn't find a photo of an example. The 3 point hitch on Brinly web site looks different. Thanks in advance.

Ned,
I am not 100 percent sure, but the plow looks more like a plow for a sears suburban. The disc does too. The deck looks original, and the rear scrape blade looks like it would work ok if the short piece of channel iron was taken off the front where it would hook to a sleeve hitch.
The dethatcher looks like a newer style brinly, and the cultivator looks like something home made.
Tough to tell on the dozer blade without seeing the back side. Looks like maybe a bolens or a sears.
Either way, nice score on all the stuff. :bluethumbsup:

I was searching on epay and found a manual for what looks like my plow. It is identified as a Brinly PP-1200 12" plow with depth gauge wheel + coulter and 3 point hitch. I attached a photo of the manual. I did search on Brinly web site with no luck but I did find the pdf manual on the internet for it.

Attachments

• s-l160cfzxczxc0.jpg
    s-l160cfzxczxc0.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 395
Disc, cultivator, are brinly sleeve hitch, plow is cat. 0 3 point.

Back blade is brinly, sleeve hitch converted to cat 0 3 point.

Dethatcher could be brinly, typical tow behind , no special hitch needed.

Anyone know a source for parts for the 3 point hitch specifically the 2" width 5/8" dia square u-bolt that holds the hitch to the implement? I am missing one. I found a source in Pennsylvania but they use a 5/8-18 fine thread instead of the 5/8-11 course thread. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200725_142848.jpg
    IMG_20200725_142848.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 372
Ned,
It appears these implements are somewhat modified to hook up with the type of lift you have on the 100.
Although most are made by Brinly, they do not appear to be specifically made for cub cadet, but obviously will work on your cub.
I have scanned two pages from a cub cadet "booklet" that shows what some of the "factory" made implements look like.

accessories for cub cadets.jpg

page two.jpg

Also, here is what a "factory" sleeve hitch looks like:

100 rear.jpg

I just adopted 2 Cub Cadet 100 tractors in California that were lost in overgrown grass and weeds including many Brinly implements.
The first one is a mid year 1964 model with a 10HP engine from 1977 per engine tag (1964 Walbro Carb though).
I rebuilt the carb and got a new battery and it had new oil in it and I got it started but it hadn't run in 10 years so I should have probably taken it apart first.......
It was running fine and then "KerChunk" and it stopped. Now the crank turns with no compression or resistance. It feels like the main bearing cap came off or worse so now I have to take it apart and see what happened.
I pick up the 2nd tractor next week which is in worse shape but hopefully it has an original engine and a good source for parts.
I will probably sell most of the Brinly implements on Craigslist as I won't be using them unless someone gives me some farmland.
Looks like my model 100 that I’ve had in my garage for the las 20 years. I guess I better get mine started.

I just read in the CC 100 operators manual that before you try to start a motor that has been sitting for a long time you should add a gasoline-oil mixture into the spark plug hole and turn over the engine before trying to start. That probably could have saved my engine. As the old saying goes, "when all else fails read instructions!".

Part 2: Tractor #2
So I picked up 2nd Cub Cadet 100 tractor and more implements.
This tractor is in worse shape than #1 with more rust, dirt/leaves, and missing parts. It still has the front grill and mower deck belt stuck down there. I have no idea the condition of the engine but I wish it was an original 1964 engine. I think I will take this one apart and use for parts as I don't have room for it.

Tractor #1: Frame S/N 85092 (mid 1964)
Engine #1: K241 10HP, S/N: 869438 (1977)

Tractor #2: Frame S/N 79887 (early 1964)
Engine #2: K241 10HP, S/N: 860080 (1977)

One of the implements was some sort of a drag originally painted white and not black like others and it has a tag for Sears and Roebuck with 3 point connection. Not sure if the wood is original.
I just looked up the model number 917.252240 from the tag and it was a Sears cultivator with 3 point hitch so it looks like someone turned it into a drag or rear plow.

IMG_20200801_130150.jpgIMG_20200801_131452.jpgIMG_20200801_131520.jpgIMG_20200801_131551.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like mine. For the life of me I can’t find the S/N.

Attachments

• 2B1AE87B-B016-4E10-B674-ECC7B4AD22A0.jpeg
    2B1AE87B-B016-4E10-B674-ECC7B4AD22A0.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 312
Back