• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Adjustable Ignition Points for Kohler Engines

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgunn

displayname
David W Gunn
A month or so ago someone replied to a thread that was discussing timing and point settings for Kohler engines. If my memory serves me correctly the person said that GM automotive points that have the adjustment screw could be mounted in place of the standard Kohler points which would make gap setting and timing a lot easier. Being old and having had a few GM cars I do remember setting GM points quite often back in the 60s and70s. I still have my dwell meter. So with that I bought a set of old style of GM points for all of $6.99. The mounting holes don't match at all. So if the original poster of the comment sees this I'd appreciate some further input as to which part number points he was using.

They can be mounted in place of the original points with, IIRC, some sort of adapter bracket, and it precludes the use of the points cover, too.

It's not particularly difficult to adjust the OEM points, and it is done infrequently enough that it does not seem to me like there is much to gain. I suppose the tractor puller types like to be able to adjust the timing to settings other than 20 degrees BTDC.

Thank you for the qualifiers. I'm not familiar with IIRC nor am I into pulling so as you say the infrequent need to replace or readjust standard points makes the effort to replace them with GM style not worth the effort.

IIRC, If I recall correctly
Static time the engine and forget it.
That's what I usually do, as infrequent as it is. Used my timing light once and never bothered with again.

Latest posts

Back