• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

A plce for snow pictures

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Denny, another issue with MC street Binders is wheels keep spinning when electronic shutdown of No Spin reach Hyper speed & throttle keeps being glued to the floor boards...Maybe seminar for driver retraining ...Bigger Hammer to hard hat...Or maybe broken rear end parts...

PAUL... LOL! Those Binder engines are like that... OVER-Achievers.

I got my current p/u end of June, no slick roads for 5-6 months. First day of slick roads coming home I-94 from work, freezing rain, glad I was driving, not safe to walk! Had a REAL hard time keeping the rear end behind the frt end, slightest push of the gas pedal the rear end broke loose and stepped out. All I could think of was "What the heck am I going to do with this truck, It's almost undriveable!?!?!"

My old SWB 6-cyl. p/u's would barely spin in 3rd gear, 40-45 MPH tops, this diesel would spin up to 70+ in 5th! But we've come to an Under-standing over the years. Turns out the roads that first day were REALLY bad. Had a day 7-8 yrs ago, traffic on east bound 94 was single lane 40 MPH tops, just two narrow tracks where it wasn't ice. Everybody was getting along fine. Little compact truck, Toyota, Nissan, wanted to argue with me about not moving over to let him merge, finally fell in behind me, right on my back bumper, then jumps out in the left lane which is solid ice, mashes the gas to pass... I saw every side of the that truck but the top side in my mirror. He managed to get back under control. But kept back a l-o-n-g ways behind me. I got off at the next exit, took the back roads the last 15 miles to work!

Hate to say guys, but I getting tired of winter. They are calling for 10" this weekend. Mowing is looking pretty damn good right .

TOM - Are the Weather-Guesser's still calling for big snow in your area this weekend? Our local guys are finally saying an inch tonight and 1 to 2 more Saturday.

Hope this is it for this winter, but they are showing more snow for Tuesday/Wednesday next week, plus warmer temps.

I weather people have the same prediction as Dennis

As of last nite, the predection for Central Jersey is 1/2" to 11"... Seems 2 fronts are due to meet on the East coast. I've had enough of this stuff also.

They are talking about 4-5 inches now. By the time it's "supposed" to hit it'll probablyonly be a dusting. I'm really tired of those "A" hole grying wolf. A few weeks ago there were talking about 24" and we didn't get anything. (not that I'm complaining)

When I went out to get my mail yesterday evening I noticed some snow on the fence post that I thought looked like a rabbit. Figured it was worth taking a photo of.
dunno.gif

284149.jpg

almost looks like a old IH advertisemnet shot

Charlie, I like that photo too! I agree with Jeff, it looks like an old IH ad photo.

My brother and I went up to our cabin this weekend to remove snow from the cabin roof. We brought snowmobiles to ride in as we could only drive a car within about 1.5 miles of the cabin. At some places the snow was well over 30 inches deep.

284438.jpg

284439.jpg

284440.jpg

284441.jpg

Jeff, thanks. I was hoping to not have to go up on the roof but the roof rake broke.
bash.gif
At least it's easy to get onto the roof through a window in the loft. No ladder required. The snow was like sugar no traction for the snowmobiles. The trail runs along the north of the property so it's a short trip from the trail but the snowmobiles got stuck in the deep snow if you were not careful. Once we had a trail broke it was easy going but the first trip in was a battle. Walking any distance through that snow was tough. It was actually much easier to dig a path than to just walk through the stuff.

284443.jpg

284444.jpg

284445.jpg

Kraig, whats with the fig zag in the path of the last picture?
I know you have snow shoes, do they work in that type of snow?

Jeff, my brother was digging the path and got creative, thus the curve in the path. We had snowshoes with but never used them. I was hoping to have some time to go for a walk with them but ran out of energy and time. I have used them in similar snow in the past and they do work quite well. I would guess that they would have settled around 6 to 8 inches. Which is FAR better than sinking in 24 to 30 inches. Here's a photo from a few year back that I've always liked of my brother our oldest sister and my snowshoes after a walk at the cabin. The snow was only about a foot deep but we used the snowshoes to walk through a marsh and we didn't want to break through.

284447.jpg

Clockwise from top right: My brother's snowshoes, my sister's and then mine.

So of the 3 different styles does one work better than the other?

Jeff, yes and no. They are different styles for different conditions. There are lots of variations on traditional wood framed snowshoes. Some styles go by several different names. My brother is wearing "Bear Paw" snowshoes. They are a pair from the 1940s that my dad bought back in the 1970's from an old army mechanic that lived in the area. I grew up using them and I keep them in my possession and let my brother and others use them. They are good for general purpose not the best in deep snow as they are flat with no upturn at the toe however because they are wide they do provide good support in the snow. They have a rounded tail that kind of bumps along behind so they do not track as well. They are good in thicker brush/woods as they are shorter in length.

284455.jpg

My sister is wearing her "Cross Country" style snowshoes. They are similar but smaller than what is called an "Alaskan" style. They are good for open country and deep snow as they have an upturned toe and a "tail" that drags and lifts the toe further when you lift your foot and helps the snowshoes track straight. They can be a bit of a pain in thick brush. They are a bit narrower so they are easier to walk fast with them on as you don't have to be as careful about bumping them into each other and into your feet.

284456.jpg

I was using my "Maine" snowshoes that I bought from LL Bean in 1982. They have a slight upturn at the toe so they are good in deep snow. They also have a tail that helps lift the toe and helps them track better. They are wider than the "Cross Country" so they provide good support in the snow but are slightly narrower and streamlined than the Bear Paw so they are easier to walk fast in. They also can be a bit of a pain in thicker brush or woods.

284457.jpg

Back