• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

982 trouble

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjkrauss

displayname
terry j krauss
so i have a ih 982 with a 60in haben deck i mow with . it runs for about a hour then it shuts down . you let it sit till it cools down and it starts back up. i took the sides off .it did not help. it was doing it last year i took it to a shop and it was a wire in the ignition .replaced the wire it seemed to work fine . also i checked the spark with a inline spark testor didnt seem to be getting spark. funny thing so i have a 1650 i jump on and mow with till the 982 cools down! any sugestion would be apreciated

Bad crimp connection somewhere in the ignition circuit,
Heat swells the insulation and pulls the wires apart, like shutting off the key
Check terminals at coil and points.
Get yer test light out and start wiggling things.

Don't laugh! Had this happen on my Chrysler a few years back, would just quit going down the road and then fire back up while I was coasting to a stop.
Talk about BACK-FIRE!!
Cost me 2 new mufflers!!!!

Main crimp in the distributor connecting to the coil had been crimped and was pinching the wires until the last strand finally broke.

GARY - The Onan in a 982 uses a vacuum operated fuel pump that attaches half inside and half outside the cooling shroud on the flywheel side, or cold side of the engine. Can't remember exactly how the gas line routes to the carb, think it's rubber, but everything gets pretty hot, my 982 would boil the gas out of the float bowl of the carb every time I shut it off after mowing. Run it for 5-10 minutes and shut off and it would restart instantly. I'm really surprised as many engines as Onan built, they REALLY did a lot of stupid things in the design of their engines. They pull like a draft horse, burn a lot of gas, and repair parts are CRAZY expensive. I've spent hours and hours searching for a Duetz air cooled diesel engine I could transplant into my 982.

Are you getting 12 volts on the + terminal of the coil? Loosen the connections on the coil and re tighten them, sometimes that will help. Also check the connections on the condenser too. Do you have the service manual for the B48G? Here is a link to the link for the free manual. Manual - Onan B48G - Only Cub Cadets It explains how to check the coil on page 3-9(page76).

I had a 982 closed to 30 years and I never had any problems boiling gas, not saying it can't happen. Air comes in the rear of the engine and blows across fuel line behind shroud, do you have good air flow out the front? I would check coil and condenser. they can definitely cause they problem your describing. Wife moved me into a condo last year so I had to sell me tractors and manual went with 982 so I can't look up spec. Check it right after it dies and then when it cools off and see if there is a difference.

hey guys thanks for all your coments iam preety sure its not fuel . i probe it when it happened no spark. last year i had this problem i put a new factory coil on and that wasnt the problem ,i found out there was abad wire on the ignition so i took it to a cub dealer i made them change the whole socket and it fixed the problem. it ran great last fall . and good this spring . untill about three weeks ago. i checked the wire and it seems to be ok i dont want to believe the new coil is going bad . its a p22o replacement oan i dont know hardley anything about oans . i was hoping maybe the condensor . i have not checked it yet. i will keep you guys up dated thanks again

The P series use a different ignition system then does the B48 engine. There is a crank sensor and magnet behind the flywheel. They do fail and cause issues like you describe once the engine warms up. It sounds like this may be your issue if that is the engine you have. The engine will need to be pulled and the flywheel removed if that is the issue you are having. You need the John Deere CTM2 manual, it covers both the B&P series engines in better detail then does the IH manual. Got any pics of your engine in the 9?

Here is a link to a good source for Onan parts but they will drain your wallet. 166-0785 New Ignition Module P-Series 166-0785 ignition module [166-0785] - $199.00 : Onan Parts.Com, Rebuild Parts for Onan engines
Gary's Place up in Hope, MI is another good source for Onan parts and so is "Boomer". Boomer was great to talk to when I was having issues putting a P series in one of my 9's.

thank you for the info ive tryed uploading pictures before , it didn t work . im going to swap out the coil and see if that helps ive ruled out the condensor being bad ! i dont know if i can pull the flywheel that might me too much for me!

so i swapped out the coil , with a old one that i was pretty sure was still good .and it stayed running till i got done mowing ! im not convinced honestly, we will see. fyi i tested the old coil the olms were 3.4 and 21000 just like the one i swapped

Since the upgrade, this site is about the easiest one I know of to load pictures.
Take 'em right off your SD card from the computer, no need to even downsize!

Coil wiring? Could it just have needed to break through a bit of corrosion at a terminal, and when you changed coils, the loosening and tightening cleaned the connection a bit?

so heres a update. i was able to mow again ! it is still acting funny tho . if i have to shut it off before im done . it wont start till it cool down. but as long as i dont shut it off it stays running

Since the upgrade, this site is about the easiest one I know of to load pictures.
Take 'em right off your SD card from the computer, no need to even downsize!
at some point im going to try to upload some pics

Sounds like a stuck/sticking exhaust valve? Someone on the forum will know.

Onan issues is why I mow with a Kawasaki powered Cub Cadet zero turn now, the last several years I mowed with my 982 it would start running rough once it it got warmed up, ignition coil and wiring checked out rebuilt carb, new fuel pump, still ran rough when warm, new points & condensor smoothed things right out, ran realoy good other than the wandering governor. But I got sick and tired of close to $100 of Onan points and Condensor every year about 50 hours of run time. It was some Cummins/Onan parts warehouse somewhere around Minneapolis.
I actually really like the 982, and after spending $178 on parts to rebuild one spindle on the 50C deck it mows nicer than any other Cub Cadet tractor I've seen. But NOT as nice as my TANK.

Denny, I think I was buying Onan parts from that same place in Minneapolis for my AC 620. And my AC620 had the same kind of issues you mention as well as an odd one, the left (IIRC it was the left...) cylinder would kill the spark plug. No idea how or why but every now and then the spark plug in that cylinder would go bad. Install a new plug and it would be good for a few (not certain how long exactly) hours of use and then it would die again. I kept a good supply of spark plugs on hand. The other cylinder never had an issue.

Denny, I think I was buying Onan parts from that same place in Minneapolis for my AC 620. And my AC620 had the same kind of issues you mention as well as an odd one, the left (IIRC it was the left...) cylinder would kill the spark plug. No idea how or why but every now and then the spark plug in that cylinder would go bad. Install a new plug and it would be good for a few (not certain how long exactly) hours of use and then it would die again. I kept a good supply of spark plugs on hand. The other cylinder never had an issue.
Kraig,that is unique..did you ever change coils? try plug in the other cyl?? I'm intrigued...

No, I never changed the coil, (single coil with two wires), I just put up with it and didn't use it much. I sold it in 2019.

Back