• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

982, repower or fix it options?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpatterson

displayname
Mike Patterson
So the Mag 20 in my 982 is acting up again....rear crank seal, starter, and who knows what other issues I will find before I'm done?
So if I decide to bail on fixing the Mag, what engine is the best fit? Kohler 640 twin? Kubota?....seriously thinking of going new drop in right now. Starting to feel the frustration of fixing used stuff all the time. Just wanna go out and use my Cubs when need to and use the attachments I have at same time. Sure a nice compact tractor with loader would be great, but I have almost every cub attachment I'd want or need, just need some continuous reliable engines in them. The 782 is gonna be next I'm sure.
Thoughts?
Yes, I know Mag will cost less, but still may have an unreliable engine afterwards?

Pretty much any modern V-twin of similar HP rating will fit. The 18-25? hp Commands are the same external dimensions, if I remember correctly. I think the 27 is slightly larger but should still fit.

Kubota swap will be expensive and a lot of work. The Commands are easy to do with mostly off the shelf parts, but any engine swap is going to take a lot longer than replacing 2 oil seals and starter...

For the swap you did Matt, would you have done anything differently? Hind sight being 20/20!
Anything special with wiring in a new Command?
You suggest a gauge swap like you did Matt, worth the trouble and cost?

I'm guessing one with external oil cooler is best if affordable since it will be installed with side shields on the 982

For the swap in my 1872, I'm not convinced all the trouble to relocate the air filter was worth it. It does seem to stay a bit cleaner than the OEM one, as the headlight panel is keeping the big chunks out, but other than that, I'm not sure it is much of an improvement. The firewall mods, oil cooler, etc. are 100% necessary...the engine will overheat with the side panels on otherwise.

Only real difference between the Magnum and Command from a wiring perspective is the starter solenoid is on the starter. I have solved this two different ways- I completely rewired my 1872 because the original harness was a hacked up mess (and moving the hourmeter and replacing the ammeter with voltmeter required some different wiring), but the 682 I kept the original harness, bypassed the original tractor solenoid by disconnecting the wire from the ignition switch and then connecting the battery cable to the starter cable using the solenoid as a terminal block. Then, I ran a wire from the clutch safety switch to the solenoid.

IMO, there is no sense in having the hourmeter in the dash. It is easy enough to check to record the hours on each oil change by removing a side panel every time the oil is changed. This freed up space for the oil pressure gauge, which I would also not run one of these without, as it allows you to infer the engine temperature. You will be able to notice overheating before it is too late that way. I also prefer a voltmeter to an ammeter, but that is a personal choice.

So if I stick with the Command series in the 18 to w5 range, I should be able to use my electric clutch off the Mag 20 right?
Stupid question, the plastic mesh on the engines on each end when new, do you just trim them to fit accordingly to application? Since you want to keep as much grass out as possible.
Agree about the hour meter. Always liked when some of the 169's had them placed when I seen that, like you did, slick looking.
I'm figuring I will, be in for a couple grand by the time I am done with engine swap if I go with a new one 🙄🤔
IF I was crazy enough to go used again, which model cubc had the Command engines in like you used?
I still would like to use my Kubota diesel I have in back shed, but so many guys have said they are a PIA to use in winter.

The three cylinder kabota gas engines run great. I have no idea what mods are needed for Mule use.
Why are their diesels a pain in winter? My labors diesel starts fine in -0 temps. Gotta give the glowplugs a few seconds

The three cylinder kabota gas engines run great. I have no idea what mods are needed for Mule use.
Why are their diesels a pain in winter? My labors diesel starts fine in -0 temps. Gotta give the glowplugs a few seconds
Most people complain they are cold starters??
Anytime I used a Kubota, you had to glow it to start, but I never used a D600, pretty sure that was what model the 782's had, so maybe they are a PIA? Still would be cool to have one in a 982.
Right now it looks like my starter won't be worth fixing? So likely need to buy the new one if I keep the Mag in the tractor. Unless I can find another engine in another tractor to work??

Bushing is shot in gear end, lots of play. Repair shop said if they are that worn, usually has worn inside if starter too and messing things up. Noticed today one of the bolt holswhere start mounts is broke out - not sure how they did that? It's part of engine casting.

Back