• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

982 headlight frustrations

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9EEFBF35-410F-45D8-9DF5-EFF978EDF17B.jpeg

I couldn't tell from the pics. It appears the headlight lit up when using the yellow wire. But did you try using the black wire as the +12 wire?

Every time a part is installed on a frame you have to make sure it’s making a ground clean off paint bolt, two bolts, one on each side to the front grill support and then ohm it out for community is the proper way on all parts to frame, for a habit of building !!!!! OL CATMAN !!!!! On big equipment its the same or a minibike !!!!

So my issue is grounding, but where.

Run a section of black wire (ie: 3 foot) between the 4411 Ground Terminal and to the Frame of the tractor.

Tail light, 1 of them does. Did not try to switch out wire on head light. Only tried it while truck was warming up before work. Will try switching wires this weekend as well as grounding to the frame of tractor.

Tail light, 1 of them does. Did not try to switch out wire on head light. Only tried it while truck was warming up before work. Will try switching wires this weekend as well as grounding to the frame of tractor.
The reason I ask is because you original post stated you are getting the test lamp to light with yellow AND black. Curious if it's just feedback that lit the test light or if you have real amperage on the black wire.

Did not have any time to work on this over weekend. Did get a chance to ttest the black wire off neg battery terminal. It lights up the bulb, but only very dim.

Just so I understand your last post : you ran a separate wire from battery negative to headlight then you plugged in the regular BLACK wire from the harness to the headlight and the headlight lit dimly?

Just so I understand your last post : you ran a separate wire from battery negative to headlight then you plugged in the regular BLACK wire from the harness to the headlight and the headlight lit dimly?
Sorry. I when I hook the black wire up to the spade terminal, then put the jumper wire from neg terminal of battery to the other spade terminal on the light bulb - it lights dimly.

But if I run the same jumper wire from neg battery terminal to the spade terminal on the light bulb and have the yellow wire on the spade - it lights up the light bulb nice and bright.

So is it still a ground problem?

See attached image taken from the 982 Wiring Diagram. The Yellow Wire is the 12VDC Positive (or hot wire) and the Black Wire is the 12VDC Negative (or ground). My suggestion was to run the jumper wire from the Battery (-) terminal to the black wire on the 4411 Lamp. If the lights shine good & bright, then you have a "grounding issue".

Attachments

• 982-L.jpg
    982-L.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 0
See attached image taken from the 982 Wiring Diagram. The Yellow Wire is the 12VDC Positive (or hot wire) and the Black Wire is the 12VDC Negative (or ground). My suggestion was to run the jumper wire from the Battery (-) terminal to the black wire on the 4411 Lamp. If the lights shine good & bright, then you have a "grounding issue".

Ok, you mean physically put jumperito it Thought you meant to the other spade that didn't have a wire on it.

The problem your describing is sounding like you have a dual charging stator on your winding under the bull wheel, check the output on the two wires coming off the charging wires independently while running their will be a difference in out put one wire is for lights only when running and one for charging only to figure it out make sure your wiring diagram matches your unit and ohm out all grounding connections !!!!

Ok, you mean physically put jumperito it Thought you meant to the other spade that didn't have a wire on it.

Touch the Jumper Wire to the Battery Negative Terminal and to the Black Wire Terminal on the 4411. You have to disconnect NOTHING.

Sorry. I when I hook the black wire up to the spade terminal, then put the jumper wire from neg terminal of battery to the other spade terminal on the light bulb - it lights dimly.

But if I run the same jumper wire from neg battery terminal to the spade terminal on the light bulb and have the yellow wire on the spade - it lights up the light bulb nice and bright.

So is it still a ground problem?
A grounding issue to the extent that you are somehow getting voltage on the Ground wire.
Voltage to that ground wire WITHOUT popping the fuse. You got an odd issue there.
I hate butchering things but the easiest fix would be to create a new black wire for ground. Ground it locally to the frame.
How the heck is 12v leaking into the ground wire? That's a head scratcher

Isn't the 12v just crossing the element to the negative side? The diagram doesn't show any splices on the ground side of the headlight circuit so I'm thinking the ground is broken off or that ground wire has corroded somewhere and is now open.
I'd just do as already suggested and run a new ground wire to the frame.

Isn't the 12v just crossing the element to the negative side? The diagram doesn't show any splices on the ground side of the headlight circuit so I'm thinking the ground is broken off or that ground wire has corroded somewhere and is now open.
I'd just do as already suggested and run a new ground wire to the frame.
RBEDELL is telling us that with the yellow wire, 12v being totally disconnected that he is seeing 12v on the black, Ground wire.
He even gets the bulb to light dim with black wire and separate wire to ground.

Yeah re-reading Mike's info again it is kind of hard to follow. If his lamp ground is shorted to voltage, when he put his jumper from the battery negative to the lamp negative side (again assuming the ground shorted to voltage) he'd be causing a short, but he didn't report that his jumper wire got warm or sparked or anything. You'd think he would see something going on.
Interesting problem. Too bad Mike's so far away. I'd be curious to sort this one out.

Back