• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

88 series

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstorma

displayname
Jim Storma
Gotta farming friend that is looking at purchasing a 5488. I'm well experianced in driving the 86 series but never an 88. Do any of you guys know anything about these. I was told once along time ago that you have to watch out when buying an 88 series. Towards the end they were sticking an part into them that would work. Was there a serial # break? Please email me privately. [email protected]

Thanks!

JIM - You should jump over to REDPOWERMAGAZINE.COM They cater to the bigger red tractors. I was still at FARMALL when the 88-series was released. They made several upgrades to the tractors during their short production period from '81 to '85. They used finer splines on several shafts in the transmissions to improve their life, and a heavy-duty square cross section front axle to replace the one cast by John Deere in Silvis used on the 86-series & early 88-series. Almost all the faults of the 86-series were fixed on the big 5X88-series. Even the experts in Waterloo felt IH was building the best tractor on the market at that time. Someday I'd like to own one.... but I need more than two acres to justify it with the Wife! If the tractor looks & runs O-K I wouldn't be afraid of a 5488. Even though they were only rated 185 HP they were easily capable of 200-225 with reliability. The DTI-466 series engine was a fine piece of engineering. They switched injection pumps during the run from the rotary pump to an in-line pump which is desirable.

Thanks Dennis!

I've registered with redpowermagazine.

your totaly opposite on what I have heard!
happy.gif

Jim

I started out looking for a 5088 about a year or so ago and discovered they were too large for what I needed. I finally found a 3688 about a month or so ago. Like finding a needle in a hay stack. They only made about 2500 or so of these 3688's, would have to confirm number again on tractor data web site. Memory sucks! I love it. 100hp on the draw bar and has not let me down in anything I have set out to do with it.
299867.jpg

With new boots on the back, still have to change the fronts
299868.jpg

Its a 1984, 6100hrs on it. Came from Western Ontario. I am the 3rd owner for sure, possibly more. Has a Western cab kit in it
299869.jpg

You need to make sure the 88's had the transmission updates completed before buying. Should be well documented that work was actually done as well.......expensive fix if on your dime!

Otherwise, the 5488 is a solid horse.......basically a 466 driving the predecessor to a Magnum transmission (without some of the clutch packs that make it a full powershift)

Don't over look a good clean 1486 or 1586 either, or one of the early Magnums, all good machines!

Back