• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

782D hydro pump paint color

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rarely work a Cub hard enough, long enough to worry about heat

If it pulls hard I unhook and get on a larger Cub
Next step is the small or mid size farm tractors that we have kept from the farm

Plow Day #2 at the Blunier's was severely packed ground, was about like plowing up Blacktop, lots of high HP hydro tractors got the Hy-Tran so hot it was boiling over after plowing one round. My #72 gear drive was only 10 hp in those days, I hauled Ken Updike & his 782 to that PD and he got my picture into Red POWER Magazine, The next plow day I brought my temp gun and even on easy pulling the hydro pump area would get close to 200 degrees. I 'd recommend putting a tube & fin heat exchanger on Cubbies with Hydros. Not a problem with gear drives.
Job I had years ago was buying parts for ice cream freezing machines, we had a customer who used synthetic oil in their refrigeration system, which became corrosive, thin layer of oxide all over the insides of their system, first sign was their ability to freeze ice cream was reduced almost 10%. 3-4 of our best engineers spent a week in that plant and never did create a solution to the reduction.
Eventually water will git in your hydro and cause rust and at the very least, degrade the performance of your hydro.

"You will damage the pump if you move the incapacitated tractor faster than a walking speed and more than a few feet." I wish that someone that actually did this and damaged the pump would speak up and tell us the details, that and "burning up a pump" with paint on it or no fan. Under normal use at any ambient temperature these IH CC's are pretty much indestructable using any factory attachment. If someone has their own personal experience, not someone else's a second or third hand story or I read it on the internet "fact". As always, pictures of the damage would be very interesting, at least to me. Until then my "old wives' tales" list is going to remain intact. One more note, if you're pulling, plowing, etc. in a show or contest, then all bets are off.

I've posted a pic on here several times of a hydro unit that was towed. All the pistons came out of the cylinder block and jammed everything up.

I have had two tractors on which the input shaft needle bearings were worn out. Charge pump wear is also pretty common. You wouldn't notice on a manual lift tractor, but if it has hydraulic lift or power steering, particularly the latter, it will be quite noticeable. All of these things could be caused by fluid that was overheated and/or not changed regularly (or poor quality/wrong fluid to begin with).

"You will damage the pump if you move the incapacitated tractor faster than a walking speed and more than a few feet." I wish that someone that actually did this and damaged the pump would speak up and tell us the details, that and "burning up a pump" with paint on it or no fan. Under normal use at any ambient temperature these IH CC's are pretty much indestructable using any factory attachment. If someone has their own personal experience, not someone else's a second or third hand story or I read it on the internet "fact". As always, pictures of the damage would be very interesting, at least to me. Until then my "old wives' tales" list is going to remain intact. One more note, if you're pulling, plowing, etc. in a show or contest, then all bets are off.
Ok then YOU can be the guinea pig for this. I'm a bit more intelligent than to purposely attempt to destroy a great working unit just to prove a point...

LOL,
I had around 300 guys laughing at me behind the 4 wheeler, I think there might be a video of it. I'll have to check with Kraig M. and see if he still has it. BTW, most al the old guys left on here know that if you post something, you better be right or you will be called ouot real quick. LOL after 20+ years on here and owing it for many years, I know that for a fact. :roflol:

hydrotow.jpg

You and your hydro were lucky that day, Charlie. Nothing more, nothing less..

A lot of old timers here and other boards recommend this guidance, as did IH.

View attachment 153166

You and your hydro were lucky, Charlie. Nothing more, nothing less..
Not really, I dropped a driveshaft in a 149 once and pulled it 2 miles home behind the Tahoe. Then blew a head gasket on my 169 and drug it home from 1/4 mile from the shop. They are all still kickin. :drool2:

Not really, I dropped a driveshaft in a 149 once and pulled it 2 miles home behind the Tahoe. Then blew a head gasket on my 169 and drug it home from 1/4 mile from the shop. They are all still kickin. :drool2:
Ok, we seem to be on the same side, your posts with YOUR multiple experiences would seem to indicate to me that you can tow these IH CC's within reason. You seemed to have towed your CC's because of something other than the pump "burned up". I'm beginning to be suspicious that in other experiences the CC stopped moving because of low or contaminated fluid, or "burned up " during competition, then was towed. The damage that was already done to the pump was then blamed on towing.

Ok, we seem to be on the same side, your posts with YOUR multiple experiences would seem to indicate to me that you can tow these IH CC's within reason. You seemed to have towed your CC's because of something other than the pump "burned up". I'm beginning to be suspicious that in other experiences the CC stopped moving because of low or contaminated fluid, or "burned up " during competition, then was towed. The damage that was already done to the pump was then blamed on towing.
Go right ahead. Tow your machine hundreds of feet and let us know how you make out. Just ignore the factory recommendations. Don't care what you do with your stuff..

Furthermore, I would not classify those experiences "within reason".

Boy this one got in the weeds... :yikes:

Should I rephase my original question to, is the pump color on a 782D grey or gray? :errrr:

I do appreciate everyone's thoughts on the pump, I was on the fence as whether or not to paint that. At this point I'm leaning towards o-na-tural.

Should I rephrase my original question to, is the pump color on a 782D grey or gray? :errrr:

We used to get into heated debates about that in the print shop. The owner was convinced the color was gray. I do';t know what we would use grey for if it weren't color...

Boy this one got in the weeds... :yikes:

Should I rephase my original question to, is the pump color on a 782D grey or gray? :errrr:

I do appreciate everyone's thoughts on the pump, I was on the fence as whether or not to paint that. At this point I'm leaning towards o-na-tural.
Yes, Haha! Sorry I inadvertently hijacked your thread. I opened up a can of worms and I think one of the worms got angry. I won't respond to anymore comments about towing.

Latest posts

Back